GiantBuddha's Wellathon (ask me anything)

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL

First half of the video looks like Phil Laak after a big night out!

What size monitor are you using? I notice you had 12 tables on it. I have a 24" monitor and TBH find it a bit too small for 12 tables.. I cant read the hud all that easily!

durrr i win

durrr i win

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii like this threadz BBBBhudda, which do you like / prefer better? indoor or outdoors?

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Poker Warrior - DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL

First half of the video looks like Phil Laak after a big night out!

What size monitor are you using? I notice you had 12 tables on it. I have a 24" monitor and TBH find it a bit too small for 12 tables.. I cant read the hud all that easily!

Haha... indeed. I think I used to play live with Phil Laak in NYC clubs before he was famous. We actually wore pretty much the same getup, except I had a black Slayer sweatshirt. I always thought missing the poker boom was the price for my hiatus, but maybe I missed out on dating Jennifer Tilly, too! :p

That's a 30" monitor, although I don't usually play 12 tables, unless they're all full ring. There are too many decision points in LHE. I also have a 20" next to it where I put the lobbies, HEM, music players, etc. So the 30" has nothing but poker tables on it. This helps a lot with focus.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii like this threadz BBBBhudda, which do you like / prefer better? indoor or outdoors?

I've always been a bit of an indoor city kid, but after these 4 weeks... I could spend some time in the great outdoors, for sure! I actually took a vacation last November to the Puerto Rican rain forest. We stayed in a cabin with no electricity, so it was pretty much like being outdoors the whole time. It was great to totally unplug for 4 days.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha... indeed. I think I used to play live with Phil Laak in NYC clubs before he was famous. We actually wore pretty much the same getup, except I had a black Slayer sweatshirt. I always thought missing the poker boom was the price for my hiatus, but maybe I missed out on dating Jennifer Tilly, too! :p

Old safe-cracker Phil.. were you the lookout or the getaway-driver? LOL

That's a 30" monitor, although I don't usually play 12 tables, unless they're all full ring. There are too many decision points in LHE. I also have a 20" next to it where I put the lobbies, HEM, music players, etc. So the 30" has nothing but poker tables on it. This helps a lot with focus.

Yeah I thought it looked like a 30" they are nice. TBH a little pricey for me. I was toying with the idea of a 27" but am not sure if I will get the desired result (27" is roughly half the cost of a 30" those extra 3" cost! LOL but if you canot comfortably get 12 tables on a 27" monitor then it looks like Ill have to bite the bullet and get one)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I thought it looked like a 30" they are nice. TBH a little pricey for me. I was toying with the idea of a 27" but am not sure if I will get the desired result (27" is roughly half the cost of a 30" those extra 3" cost! LOL but if you canot comfortably get 12 tables on a 27" monitor then it looks like Ill have to bite the bullet and get one)

You pretty much need a 30" to do 12 tables at a decent size because you really need the higher resolution (2,560x1,600) that starts at the 30s.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, you're paying more for the resolution than for the inches. Size matters, but it isn't everything. I got my 30" refurbished for less than $900, which is pretty "cheap" for a 30".

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, you're paying more for the resolution than for the inches. Size matters, but it isn't everything. I got my 30" refurbished for less than $900, which is pretty "cheap" for a 30".

Yeah defo.

In the UK you are generally looking at $1500 (they are just under £1000)

Everything here is expensive!

Petrol has just reached a new high of between $8-9 per gallon!

Im expressing everything in dollars rather than pounds :)

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I weigh 245lbs, how much would I weigh in the UK?

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its 2.2/1 so you'd weigh 111.

Man gas here is almost at $3 a gallon and I think thats starting to get pricey. I couldn't imagine paying $8-9!!!!

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm finally done with the Grindathon! 207.5 hours, 80,022 hands, and $2,357 raised for charities. I must say that I'm looking forward to leaving my building.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gogogogo! Get outta here!

durrr i win

durrr i win

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always been a bit of an indoor city kid, but after these 4 weeks... I could spend some time in the great outdoors, for sure! I actually took a vacation last November to the Puerto Rican rain forest. We stayed in a cabin with no electricity, so it was pretty much like being outdoors the whole time. It was great to totally unplug for 4 days.

very very cool off the grid, and P.R. is way awesome been there 'bout 4 years ago good times and rshots of rum!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job - now go out for the rest of the day!!! No poker for at least 24 hours.

(sent you a pm about my donation!)

Last edited:
atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, go take a walk.

Go swimming.

Have a picnic.

Get a massage.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:icon_chee WTG & Congrats GiantBuddha!

Enjoy your well-deserved excursion outdoors!

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fantastic thread. Great questions and really well written answers. Congrats on your accomplishments GiantBuddha, you've done a good thing for some well deserving people.

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job Buddha. Have a question for you about limit. I'm at the .25/.50 FL level and I'm trying to grind my way up. I'd like to see your stats when you were at that level so I can compare and fix any leaks that I have. I figure I'll move up soon to .50/$1 and I'd like to make sure I fix them before I do. Again great job and congrats on doing something for a living that you love to do.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm finally done with the Grindathon! 207.5 hours, 80,022 hands, and $2,357 raised for charities. I must say that I'm looking forward to leaving my building.
386 hands per hour at limit? So five tables on average? Figured your average 6-max limit player could crank out more, or are you playing HU?

Either way, pretty badass string of hands. Ship the hookers & blow IMO (for charity of course).

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very very cool off the grid, and P.R. is way awesome been there 'bout 4 years ago good times and rshots of rum!

Yeah, dropping off the grid completely was one of the best things I've ever done. I think I'm due for another vacation along these lines. :)

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gogogogo! Get outta here!

Good job - now go out for the rest of the day!!! No poker for at least 24 hours.

(sent you a pm about my donation!)

Yea, go take a walk.

Go swimming.

Have a picnic.

Get a massage.

:icon_chee WTG & Congrats GiantBuddha!

Enjoy your well-deserved excursion outdoors!

Fantastic thread. Great questions and really well written answers. Congrats on your accomplishments GiantBuddha, you've done a good thing for some well deserving people.

Thank you all for the support, and to everyone at CC for letting me make this thread and encouraging me along the way. The point of all this wasn't just for me to do something, but to show how the poker community as a whole can make a difference when we come together.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job Buddha. Have a question for you about limit. I'm at the .25/.50 FL level and I'm trying to grind my way up. I'd like to see your stats when you were at that level so I can compare and fix any leaks that I have. I figure I'll move up soon to .50/$1 and I'd like to make sure I fix them before I do. Again great job and congrats on doing something for a living that you love to do.

Hey chispa,

I don't actually have my stats from that level, but I can give you some guidelines. Are you playing full ring or 6-max? VPIP and PFR will vary heavily based on how many players you typically play with. But the following stat guidelines should apply to all LHE from 4 to 10 players:

WTSD: 35 to 45
ATSB (Steal): 40 to 50
FBBTS: 30 to 45
FSBTS: 70 to 85

These ranges are fairly wide, because a number of styles can be profitable. Numbers outside of those ranges are not necessarily incorrect, but they're less likely to result from a winning style. I say "result from" rather than "result in" because your stats come from your play, not the other way around. I'd recommend posting some hands when you're not sure rather than worrying too much about your stats. Shoot me a PM with a link if you'd like me to take a look at a hand.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
386 hands per hour at limit? So five tables on average? Figured your average 6-max limit player could crank out more, or are you playing HU?

Either way, pretty badass string of hands. Ship the hookers & blow IMO (for charity of course).

I play more like 4 tables on average. I'll typically find 4 tables that I like, then open up a couple of empty tables and wait for someone to join me there. This is a game selection technique, but I also like to play some HU. Towards the end of the Grindathon I was averaging closer to 500 hands per hour, but that was 6+ tabling. The games on Stars are significantly slower than the games on FTP, also.

Also, while I had a volume goal for this challenge, my focus is not generally on volume (although I am going for Supernova Elite this year). I try to put in quality hours to the best of my ability, and avoid being a grinder drone. Of course, last week that was hard. :)