Fear of withdrawing winnings

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me start by saying I'm knowingly have horrid bankroll management because I lack the discipline to adhere to rules like that. However, I've just realized something about myself and if someone has good advice I'm all ears.
Part of the reason I don't have good bankroll management is because if I have $50 I want to be playing in the 0.50/1.00 tables. So I do and end up losing all my money in one night. But here's the thing I realized. Part of me always knows that in order to get into a $1.00 table ($40 buy-in) I should have $400.00 in my bankroll. But if I ever get over a couple hundred my wife wants me to cash out a big chunk of it and start over at $50. So, in the back of my mind there is always this feeling that if I don't make the most of my money in a single night then I'm going to lose it anyway.
Anyway, just something I think I've just realized about myself and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or comments, other than to tell my wife to leave my winnings alone.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think your wife is right. If you can not be a disciplined player and follow a bankroll management system then you should not have more than $ 50.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to become a net withdrawing rather than net depositing player, you need to think about the game in a completely different way. A solid bankroll for 50c/1$ blinds (also known as 100NL) is not 10 times the minimum buyin. It is at least 40 times the maximum buyin = 4.000 $. And for professional players, who depend on regularly redrawing winnings to pay bills, 100 times the maximum buyin = 10.000$ is needed.

With a 50$ bankrool you really should not be playing anything other than 1c/2c blinds, which is typically the lowest game offered. If you have the discipline and patience, it is totally possible to build up a bankroll from a 50$ deposit. But it require, that you and your wife agree both on not withdrawing winnings, but also on not making any further deposits, if you bust. Those 50$ need to be, what you have to work with, and thats it. Or make it 60 or 100, but at least some definite amount, that cannot be replenished from paychecks.

What you are doing right now is honestly just gambling. And I cant really blame your wife from wanting you to withdraw winnings, because she know, that regardless how much money, you have in the account, new deposits are always going to be made.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this error is typical of many players who come to online poker with the experience of off-line games. Offline, you rarely adhere to such a conservative BRM, like 50 and especially 100 buy-ins. Hence, your desire to sit down at the table with all the money at once. Try playing at a limit of 0.10-0.20, and not immediately at 0.50-1.00. There is no need to be with 50 buy-ins, but it's good to have 10 at least for one evening. This is an aggressive BRM, but sometimes it works.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try playing at a limit of 0.10-0.20, and not immediately at 0.50-1.00. There is no need to be with 50 buy-ins, but it's good to have 10 at least for one evening. This is an aggressive BRM, but sometimes it works.

This is still just gambling, because until you are a proven winner at a certain limit over at least 20.000 hands, and preferably more, there is no reason to assume, you can beat the games at a higher limit. Online players at a limit like 20NL or 25NL are pretty darn good on average, and if you jump right into such games with limited experience, you are frankly just a fish waiting to be eaten by the sharks.

If you are playing for fun, sure, thats fine, just make a poker budget. Anyone can have a winning session or two. But if you want to be among the few net withdrawing players, those who actually win long term, you got to start from the beginning.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds a bit like you found a way to justify playing at higher limits. The truth is probably closer to; there's a thrill obtained by putting it all on the line and when you get felted you found someone else to blame for it.

Playing outside what your bankroll can reasonably withstand because that's what you enjoy is fine; if you're aware of it and honest about it. It's $50 bucks. It's less than a ticket to see a ballgame, and folks attend those solely because that's what they enjoy, so unless it's the rent money, no big deal. I spend more on gas each week, and my gas tank has never doubled up or even really ever “run good”.

But, if there's any truth to my thrill theory, be careful. It's a red flag for addiction behavior. (Of course so is scapegoating someone else, just sayin') Stick to your budget. Call it disposable cash for entertainment, but cut it off. Control it. Don't chase losses. Don't re-deposit. Ect.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
in my opinion your winnings or losses are yours .... your wife would not have to meddle unless you're a compulsive gambler and senseless waste your money ... each of us know the rules and play in different variables senses ... but I would recommend you control your bankroll and play games according to eso..saludos friend hagase worth many successes and his wife not to meddle ...

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to drop down in stakes for what you are depositing. Work you're way up as the bankroll supports the stakes you are playing. Crazy to play one night and come up busted.

So, you deposit $50.00 play the stakes that represent the BR. Set the withdraw limit higher knowing you need to keep a minimum of $400.00. Wife will just have to be patient on getting anything over the new BR limit. If she doesn't like that then a part time job to earn extra money that she needs for what ever she has plans on the poker funds.