Favorite Poker Quotes

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck.” -- Jesse May

Happylake

Happylake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"If they're defenseless and can't defend themselves, you're in the right place."

Poker is not a game for weaklings. You have to be tough at poker, or you'll be eaten alive.

Here are some quotes that reflect this point.

"If they're defenseless and can't defend themselves, you're in the right place."

Mike Caro, poker writer.

Many players draw a parallel between poker and life itself. Some consider poker to be the best illustration of the principle of the struggle for survival. Many have even read Sun Tzu's book The Art of War as a guide to poker strategy. Here's how poker compares to life.

"Like it or not, the whole essence of a person is revealed at the poker table, and if other players understand him better than he does, then he has no one to blame but himself. And if he is not able and not ready to look at himself from the outside, then he will be a loser both in cards and in life."

Anthony Holden, " The Big Game: A Year as a Professional Poker Player."

schwede777

schwede777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can't find out who is the fish on your table, it's probably you !

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Never go broke in an unraised pot" -T.J. Cloutier

I've seen this quote attributed to many players, but I'm pretty sure I originally read it in one of TJ's books.

This quote is always in mind when I'm in a pot with a bunch of other limpers. When a pot goes unraised, there are so many options for my opponents hands and if I'm not holding the nuts, I always proceed with caution when someone's raising and re-raising.

This quote has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps not entirely accurate, but: "If you play a pair of sixes, why can't I play a pair of sevens?" Cincinnati Kid.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
“The beautiful thing about poker is that everybody thinks they can play.”
– Chris Moneymaker

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • "You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once." - Amarillo Slim

sarjdgo

sarjdgo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The days we seek however, are the days where we feel invincible. When we own the table and others almost ask us permission to get in the hand.

ObbleeXY

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“A poker player has to get lucky – in the same way that Warren Buffet gets lucky playing the stock market year after year.” -- Phil Gordon

F

Fida

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can't take $100 from your wallet right now and burn it, you shouldn't play poker. - Phil Ivey

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“All I did was eat, sleep, and breathe tournament poker and the results showed that.” -- Daniel Negreanu

veloprofz

veloprofz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
interesting statements, I think poker gives good strategic and logical thinking.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

If you are not ready to lose, you will lose everything.

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Favorite poker quote

"Show me a good loser and I'll just show you a loser." Stu Ungar

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Poker reveals to the frank observer something else of import. It will teach him about his own nature. Many bad players do not improve because they cannot bear self-knowledge.” -- David Mamet

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead.” -- Jackie Robinson

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game for patient people who know how to wait, there are many impulsive people who may destroy a good hand but sooner or later they end up drawing those people, for that I insist the game is 50% luck and 50% knowledge

D

darkbrn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"If, after 20 minutes playing at a table you haven't spot the fish.."