Family prejudice

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Hello friend I also had this problem with my family in relation to playing too much and leaving important family things behind, life is too short to exchange family moments with addictions of any nature.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Today I manage it very well, I'm no longer addicted to poker or anything else in general. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]What I did to change sleep a lot, and do other things to forget about the addiction to poker, your family is important to show that you feel this for her and manage the hours when you will play do not get addicted and have a healthy life.[/FONT]:)

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually can never let my family know I'm playing poker. This is the ULTIMATE HARAM thing i can ever do lol. So no they would never understand.

Really bruh?

And how do you hide it?

ULTIMATE HARAM?
Would you explain what that is please?

Well, revolutions exist and are actually needed.
Who knows, maybe they could review their cultural bonds for a bigger good?

Or maybe the risk and effort isn't worth it?

But still there is a risk of them knowing and you end up banished from the family?

Dude, what a conflict huh!

Don't get in trouble cause of poker bud.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From experience i know that winning tourneys and making the money is something that you should not tell family. Keep it to yourself its your thing not theirs. Be an adult make the money and when you lose dont cry and make excuses......use it to fuel your poker desire to win it all.

Really?

Did you go through all that?

Well, my current financial state and country currency don't allow me go through such reality.
But I'm curious man.

Tell me more about those swings in your poker career.

Would you?

Thanks for sharing.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Hello friend I also had this problem with my family in relation to playing too much and leaving important family things behind, life is too short to exchange family moments with addictions of any nature.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Today I manage it very well, I'm no longer addicted to poker or anything else in general. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]What I did to change sleep a lot, and do other things to forget about the addiction to poker, your family is important to show that you feel this for her and manage the hours when you will play do not get addicted and have a healthy life.[/FONT]:)

Actually man, I gave up on boose and pot cause of poker haha.

Also adopted a healthier lifestyle for the same reason.

Nowadays I wake up, meditate, run and work out. To be sharper. Not only cause of poker.
Just want to own my destiny. And poker is part of it.

Healthy mind, healthy body, healthy life.

But I got to be aware and take advantage of that knowledge since I'm just starting at the sport.
Been a year and half now taking it seriously.
And who knows, maybe along the road what you shared here might be very useful.

Thanks man.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is humanity's problem with family. Family in general is the most toxic factor in a child trying to achieve anything. The second most toxic factor is teachers and the third, friends. I have done my research and psychologically these people are detrimental to someone's success or failure (acceptance of mediocirty or a mediocre life). Most parents also have this constant fear that their child is always stupider than them and they need guidance (FOREVEEEER!). Guidance never stops. But they don't realise how detrimental the lack of encouragement and support is for their son or daughter. These factors have to be blocked/muted/ignored in order to succeed. Or in short, take the good from them, block the bad.

I have come to the conclusion that I was lucky that my very old parents (only 50% remaining) have always supported and encouraged all my madness and my rebellions. For this exact reason, my dad encouraged me to play poker illegaly in his name when I was 12 and I earned more than he was earning from his job in a few months. I still had the odd bullsh.. coming from them to deal with and because of it I failed to follow my other potential careers that I would've enjoyed more .But that's life. Just coolers. Took me a while to let them pass. My mom actually never found out how supportive she was and she never got thanked for it. She only got the chance to hear the worst. In my defence, I actually believed that all parents were like mine and everyone had a brilliant life and loads of choices and thought that other parents were more supportive. I only found out very recently in my late 20's that most families, couples, people go through a lot worse and life is not so much greater for everyone else as I imagined. It's actually a lot worse.

I continue to despise teachers and the whole schooling system which works against people with any kind of ability or skill. Most skills are treated as "disorders" and children with other aspirations are prodigies and their enthusiasm and energy killed quickly with a chair and a desk.. But, I am politically allowed to hate them because I was a teacher so got the perspective from the other side of the board. And from a teacher's point of view I started hating other teachers and the educational system even more, arguably.

So, my advice is to follow your heart and your dreams and leave the rest of the world do its own thing. Don't even try to explain as they might not be able to comprehend your views from your perspective. Just make damn sure you make the right decisions for yourself and make sure you don't fail yourself. As long as you believe in yourself, others will start appreciating you only when you show them results and your success. Don't prove them wrong. Take resposibility over your life and decisions and you'll be fine. Be proud and excited of what you do.

Last edited:
pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
at the start , yes i have the same problem , but in time they saw that i manage my self in not crossing any limit , time or money , so now they understand me

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that everything depends only on you. Ignore the criticism. If you are patient and disciplined enough, then in time you will achieve your goal.
Good luck.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wazzup poker gang.

So, I've been having some trouble with family prejudice towards poker. Okay, I'm not a kid anymore and I pay my own bills but I'm not happy with the fact that my parents think that what I'm doing will make me loose all my money and I'll be addicted to it and most of all, to have them thinking that poker is a luck game. I'm managing to show moms some evidences that poker is a sport. A mental sport and beyond. But dad is another suit. Anyways, do you guys go through the same? Have y'all managed to overcome such situation?

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

First of all we should probably acknowledge that prejudices toward gambling are not without basis, and your parents are probably just trying to look out for your best interests.

Personally I did almost lose my shirt gambling and had to go hat in hand to my dad for a bailout.

I overcame the situation by forgetting about pursuing poker as a potential source of steady income, and instead play it just for fun.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wazzup poker gang.

So, I've been having some trouble with family prejudice towards poker. Okay, I'm not a kid anymore and I pay my own bills but I'm not happy with the fact that my parents think that what I'm doing will make me loose all my money and I'll be addicted to it and most of all, to have them thinking that poker is a luck game. I'm managing to show moms some evidences that poker is a sport. A mental sport and beyond. But dad is another suit. Anyways, do you guys go through the same? Have y'all managed to overcome such situation?

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

Its dificult to show that to peoplo that don't want to see. But with time they will understand what you are doing and realize that you are not addicted and losing all your money

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is difficult then your family does not understand you and does not support you in what you do and in what you believe, it is actually their distrust of your ability to make the best decisions. I'm curious if this is just about poker or what you want to do in general ?!

C

CTPA3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I wasn't clear with what's really bugging me.

It's more related to the misconception about the game.

I'm still attentive to family affairs even tough I'm 36. Left parents house 28 years ago.

Parents opinions, even when you're a grandparent can still affect you from within. Even the ones that think its not like that still are. Even the ones that never met their parents. Psychology proves that every grown up has a deep foundational relationship with their progenitors.

I go to a shrink and she's specialized in family constellation by the way.

So yeah, just want them to know the truth about the sport. And maybe we could enjoy it together haha.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Maybe your parents subconsciously want to control you. Maybe they are not sure about your psychological independence. Don't know. I think we all need some kind of brakes) My husband swears when I combine the game and household chores) Especially if the dinner burned down while I'm sitting in the tournament))