extremely extremely bad bubble play

C

chadherczeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, i made a really bad decision yesterday playing in the ten cent rebuy. I bought in for a dollar ten. a buy in a rebuy and an add on, as usual, and started to play my normal game after the break was over. Tight at first until i got a decent table image then loosen up and play super aggressive. I was doing well until my stack got up a little over 20000 and went completely card dead. I got blinded down to 16800 without playing but maybe one or 2 hands and we were almost to the bubble. I don't know if it was impatience or what, but there were 163 people left when the hand started, so 10 more and i was in the money, i had battled through 3299 people and for some reason couldn't just fold my way to the money. I catch KQo on the button and everyon folds around. I don't know if i thought i could steal the blinds or what, but of coursed when it gets to me, i push all in. An extremely dumb move considering i could have waited 10 more people easily and definitely made the money. The ante was only like 200 and i could last 6-8 more rounds of blinds. Of course as soon as i push the SB instacalls with 99 and the board comes 6 high with 2-2-4-4-6 on board. So i get knocked out 162nd and went from an easy cash to no cash just because i was stupid. Take my advice if you know you can make the money, always take the opportunity If you aren't at least top 3 at the table and just sit out. I should have folded AA in that situation but couldn't thanks to my ignorance. So hopefully you all heed my advice and will be successful on the bubble and if not then you can learn just like i did. Gl to everyone on the felt.

D

dailies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been there, only had 4 people to go to make the money, though I woulda cut it close being shortstacked, only 2-3 more rounds of blinds left. Very frustrating to not make it, even when you realize its only for 25 cents. Tough to sit out good hands but at same point, if you're near bubble, maybe don't push all in- give yourself an out if your opponent is dominant, or the flop is trouble.

mregister2

mregister2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what is more important to you: cashing or cashing well. A lot of times just barely cashing pays what you bought in for and maybe a little more. In the $.10 game 1st place is usually around $300. It may be to your advantage to play loose aggressive when near the bubble to take advantage of everyone else's conservative nature. A lot of times you'll be able to build a nice stack so that when the bubble breaks you have a chance at winning.

Y

ysmisc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what is more important to you: cashing or cashing well. ....
Exactly! I am currently in the first few months of playing so I still need any money I can get so thus I will fold almost anything close to the bubble, however, if it is was small money compare to the high places cash then I think your move was not so stupid- Perhaps I would have raised a LITTLE not all but still a raise was in order.

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The philosophy i try to follow is never go for broke with a hand that isn't the nuts...

Of course, I kinda know what your feeling because i played in the .10 yesterday too and my JJ got busted by KQ ironically when I had 22k in chips and stupidly pushed all in pre flop with just over 200 people left.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think about how many times you cash or what % of times you cash. Think of that one time you can win 200$ by being LAG near the bubble as opposed to the times when you win $2.50 by tightening up. Going deep into the money is much more profitable.

As Jesus says, tournament play should be more similar to ring game play than most people think. Near the bubble the table is usually super tight so playing LAG is most profitable.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with jamesdadeliverer, and ALWAYS listen to Jesus Christ..... oh you meant Ferguson :)

Plus, I don't think you should ever fold AA against one other player. Ever.

Y

ysmisc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus, I don't think you should ever fold AA against one other player. Ever....
I agree this and KK is probably the only hands I will play on the bubble happily... all others I will be worried as hell...
But recently I was on the bubble and played a high hand and won it all because I got such a big stack after this hand that it was smooth cruising from there on.

mregister2

mregister2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is harder to become loose aggressive around the bubble online then when I play in person. I am generally pretty good at reading people, and can tell when someone is playing back at me because they are tired of being picked on or because they actually have a hand. It is hard to figure that out online