Exploring the Ideal Starting Hand: What's Your Favorite and Why?

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Greetings, poker enthusiasts! Today, we delve into the fascinating world of starting hands. The question of the day: What is your favorite starting hand, and, most importantly, why do you choose it? Let's share our experiences and strategies for achieving the best results with that special hand.
My Favorite Hand: Ace and Queen suited (A-Q suited)
Personally, my preferred choice is the Ace and Queen suited. This hand offers a versatility that I love and has proven to be profitable in various situations. Here are my reasons and how I usually play it:
  1. Potential for Royal Flush or Flush: The Ace and Queen suited provide the potential to form a royal flush or a flush, two of the best possible hands in poker. This duality increases the chances of getting a strong hand on the flop, which is crucial in the early stages of the game.
  2. Strong Position at the Table: This hand allows me to play with confidence from earlier positions at the table. I can open the game with a raise and leverage my position to control the action.
  3. Bluffing Ability: The presence of the Ace and Queen in my hand also adds a strategic dimension to bluffing. If the flop doesn't directly favor my hand, the image of having high cards can lead opponents to fold in the face of aggressive bets.
  4. Adaptability: As the game progresses, the Ace and Queen suited remain playable in various situations. I can use them for aggressive bets or play more conservatively depending on the table dynamics.
Share Your Experience:
What is your favorite starting hand, and why do you prefer it? Do you have any memorable anecdotes or specific advice on how to play that particular hand? Sharing our experiences not only enriches our understanding of the game but can also help others improve their own strategies. Go ahead, share your secrets for success with your favorite starting hand!

T

The_Kid456

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
In my experience there isn't really an ideal starting hand. Luck plays a huge role in poker. And that's why it's a gamble. I've seen a guy who had a pair of aces, and ended up having the worse hand at the table. I've also discarded a suited 2 and 4 thinking it was a week hand, and I could have had a straight flush. In my experience the hands I think are terrible often end up being the best, and when I think I've got a sure thing, I'm blind sided by someone who gets lucky

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
AA is my favorite hand by a wide margin because I win the most with it.

Boring answer maybe so I give you a hand that hand probably has won me more than it should: J9suited.

During one period years ago I hit straights and flushes galore with this hand. Just luck of course - but it became my favorite "not so obvious" hand.

Maybe to a point where I play the hand too often these days.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Well wish I had a more creative answer but um AA is my fave, unless I'm playing pl08 than I like AA23 double suited, or Stud8 I like A23 suited...

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
QJ suited. I have been quite luck hitting a flush or straight

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As cliché as it may sound, my favorite starting hand is AA.) I remember a lot of pleasant tournament victories thanks to this hand. If you manage to go all-in with this hand in the game, you will have 80+ percent to win against one opponent. And this is a very positive action, and if you do this all the time, your income from the game will be very good.)))

Rosylly

Rosylly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
AA of course what kind of question is that. 😎

In the beggining of the tournament i think suited connectors that have more flush and straight potential could be better in some cases, smth like JTs let's say.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You need to have a starting hand range. UTG might be:

b3a64a4b8e8ff4231454df19c1c37021.png

This way when you raise your opponents can never be sure what you have.
As your position changes you can widen your range.
You should also be thinking what your Villains ranges are from the various positions.
When you raise your favourite AQs you will also in Villains mind be raising with many more pockets.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands