Examples of pros playing hands exactly how they tell you not to

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Anyone that pays attention see pros constantly doing what they teach you not to do.

Post examples................

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
But that is like number one rule for new players: don't try to mimic what pros are doing. Because it's not about the action itself, it's about understanding what you're doing and why you're doing that. Pros have these answers, you probably don't :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see it all the time in live tournaments - one thing that comes to mind is open limping.

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I see it all the time in live tournaments - one thing that comes to mind is open limping.
That's the biggest one, pros been limping for decades in both cash and tournament. They only recently have admitted to doing it, and some even released the strategies behind it and when to.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Anyone that pays attention see pros constantly doing what they teach you not to do.

Post examples................
Maybe it's some kind of strategy for when they're going to face someone who was once taught to fall right into the trap!:unsure::unsure:

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's possible that pros have such a successful history that they tend to underestimate unknown opponents. This move by Tom Dwan was a pretty risky semi-bluff that he might not have made if there was another professional player in the hand.

Chris Rowbach

Chris Rowbach

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips

In this 1st hand, if you tell anyone that action and pretend you're the JJ you'll get lambasted for how bad you over valued JJ on turn, but its DNegs its cool. lol

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have you never ever heard the phrase do as I say not as I do..? :D

Also there is the ever-effective escape clause of circumstantial situations.

New, better-than-ever recipe Can of Worms, now mixed with 50% delicious loopholes! :love:
:cool:

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In some situations you literally have to open raise any two , this means that pros and good opponents understand when and how to take advantage of those opportunities.

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
In some situations you literally have to open raise any two , this means that pros and good opponents understand when and how to take advantage of those opportunities.
I never heard any pro teach or advocate or suggest that.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of the times pros have insights and reads that they players watching are not aware of.

akhilbansal

akhilbansal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
There is no 100% fix strategy to play poker. When pros say something, it mostly means the most general play. But all plays needs to be mixed and strategies specifically also depends on multiple factors. I am sure Tom will fold K5s at least 7 out of 10 times and DNeg will not limp almost 60-70% of the times. Strategies evolve as well.

e.g. Mostly I will fold 35o, but I can try to get into a pot with 35o ~5% of the times to bluff or just to gamble.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that a correct assessment of the situation at the table can make it possible to play with such cards from time to time. After all, you can also lose with AA.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Poker Tells