Ethics in Poker: Where to Draw the Line?

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would like to initiate a debate on ethics in poker and ethical decision-making at the table. Is it acceptable to deceive or lie in poker as part of the game, or are there limits that should not be crossed? The idea is to generate a discussion about the players' responsibility, the integrity of the game, and how ethics can impact the players' reputation.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When I play, I just play.. I focus solely on the game and do not let opponents actions outside the game distract me from my game plan.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When I play, I just play.. I focus solely on the game and do not let opponents actions outside the game distract me from my game plan.
I tend to think that autonomy in game development is an interesting path. I agree with avoiding distractions. Thanks for commenting.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
When playing live I mostly just play and make some small talk if of those near me feel like chatting. Mostly just friendly banter and on everyday topics avoiding the hot ones. I'm mostly a likable social guy in most settings not just poker. With that said you put me at table with a rude player, jackass or a guy that just generally is a jerk and well we're gonna be in for an entertaining time. Because I don't mind stepping up and giving his shit right back at him even if his shit wasn't directed at me.

I was brought to treat people how they show they deserve to be treated and how they treat others. With me you get exactly what you give and put out there.

Online. Most times all chat is off, table chat window closed and emots and throwables off. The only reason to chat online is when making a final table deal.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When playing live I mostly just play and make some small talk if of those near me feel like chatting. Mostly just friendly banter and on everyday topics avoiding the hot ones. I'm mostly a likable social guy in most settings not just poker. With that said you put me at table with a rude player, jackass or a guy that just generally is a jerk and well we're gonna be in for an entertaining time. Because I don't mind stepping up and giving his shit right back at him even if his shit wasn't directed at me.

I was brought to treat people how they show they deserve to be treated and how they treat others. With me you get exactly what you give and put out there.

Online. Most times all chat is off, table chat window closed and emots and throwables off. The only reason to chat online is when making a final table deal.

Cheers!!!
It seems like an interesting stance; I agree on treating people as they deserve to be treated. I believe it's a part of socializing and empathizing with others. Thank you for commenting; it's enriching to be able to hear every point of view. Greetings!

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
It seems like an interesting stance; I agree on treating people as they deserve to be treated. I believe it's a part of socializing and empathizing with others. Thank you for commenting; it's enriching to be able to hear every point of view. Greetings!
I think most males that grew up in the 70's, 80's and 90 in a lower to middle class neighborhood would likely share it to an extent. The neighborhood I grew up in was middle class but a pretty tough for middle class because of who controlled it. then most around world would think existed in canada. I'm in part a product of where I grew up. But now days I'm nothing but a 6'4 240lb in solid shape teddy bear 99% of the time who can have some bite that 1% time when needed.

I'd much rather always be the cuddly teddy bear fwiw.

Cheers!!!

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would like to initiate a debate on ethics in poker and ethical decision-making at the table. Is it acceptable to deceive or lie in poker as part of the game, or are there limits that should not be crossed? The idea is to generate a discussion about the players' responsibility, the integrity of the game, and how ethics can impact the players' reputation.
I have my own sense of ethics/fair play while at the table, and that is to not give myself an unfair advantage over the other players. For that reason I've told players sitting next to me that they aren't protecting their cards and that I can see them when they peek. I'm not telling others to do the same, I'm just explaining my own sense of fair play.

Now, however, that doesn't mean that I'm some kind of Goody Two Shoes because I will lie on occasion.

I play tournaments and it is forbidden to discuss a hand in play so lying about your hand doesn't really come into play. However, if the other player folds and after asks me if my hand was "XX" I'll usually say yes if it wasn't, and possibly no if it was. If asked what I had I'll usually make something up that would have been a strong hand based upon the board.

Normally you'll have to pay to see my cards. Unless of course if I like the other player, who has maybe shown me their cards before, or it is something special like a straight flush and then I will show the cards. I even had a player once say he would fold if I showed him my hand. He got to see it. :)

Last edited:
seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I like to talk at the table if the opportunity presents itself. It makes it more entertaining although the vast majority of players are not interested in that... I like talking to people from places I'm sure I'll never know... Internet and poker give you that possibility... although I can only do it in tournaments, since at the Zoom Cash tables there is no time to chat

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When playing live I mostly just play and make some small talk if of those near me feel like chatting. Mostly just friendly banter and on everyday topics avoiding the hot ones. I'm mostly a likable social guy in most settings not just poker.
That is the best way to be. :) Why go out to enjoy yourself playing poker, and end up surrounded by bad vibes. :)
With that said you put me at table with a rude player, jackass or a guy that just generally is a jerk and well we're gonna be in for an entertaining time. Because I don't mind stepping up and giving his shit right back at him even if his shit wasn't directed at me.
Sticking up for someone else is a very nice thing to do. ❤️ Your parents are to be commended for doing an excellent job raising you. :) You sound a lot like my father who always spoke softly, but also had a big stick when it was necessary. ;)
❤️​

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do believe we should play ethical poker just as we would in anything else in life. If you see a card that is dealt, I feel you should say something. If you notice something is not right, you should report it. No this does not mean you can't bluff or misrepresent you hand as that is part of the game as is bluffing but there are things that are right and wrong.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I do believe we should play ethical poker just as we would in anything else in life. If you see a card that is dealt, I feel you should say something. If you notice something is not right, you should report it. No this does not mean you can't bluff or misrepresent you hand as that is part of the game as is bluffing but there are things that are right and wrong.
I completely agree with what you're saying, thank you for commenting!

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
That is the best way to be. :) Why go out to enjoy yourself playing poker, and end up surrounded by bad vibes. :)

Sticking up for someone else is a very nice thing to do. ❤️ Your parents are to be commended for doing an excellent job raising you. :) You sound a lot like my father who always spoke softly, but also had a big stick when it was necessary. ;)

❤️​

Thank you. Yes I have/had(Dad past 2 years ago March coming) amazing parents who did the best they could. They brought me to be respectful, nice and polite to people while teaching me when it's ok and that sooner or later there's always comes a time when not to be those things. I think I turned ok considering. I'm believer in good and bad karma and certainly try to be on the good side of karma.

Wasn't always good kid though. Boys will be boys after all and I got caught be that big stick more than once. And looking back rightly so every time lol. Maybe a bit soft a time or two if anything lol. Looking back I think my patents did pretty good I was quite handful. They were firm but fair.

Cheers!!!

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I guess you have not heard. Poker is a liar's game. It is part of the game to try and deceive your opponent, good luck. Just don't try and play only your cards but play your opponents as well even if you have nothing. That is what poker is about.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that as in everything "what is not prohibited is allowed"
and part of poker is deception

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think lieing is part of the game itself as poker is all about deception and seeing through it.
However I don´t like if it gets personal or people not having a problem to obviously "ruin" someone at the table.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Ethics in poker involve respecting rules, opponents, and maintaining integrity. While bluffing is accepted, deception and collusion cross the line. Transparency and fair play are crucial for a healthy poker environment.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm generally in favor of playing silently, without any conversations. Even in a live game talking is not necessary, the whole process of the game consists in your actions and decisions.

TruthFruit

TruthFruit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Well, I guess you have not heard. Poker is a liar's game. It is part of the game to try and deceive your opponent, good luck. Just don't try and play only your cards but play your opponents as well even if you have nothing. That is what poker is about.
Of course, poker is a game of deception and make-believes. We all know that. But I think that's what makes the question deeper and more interesting. It's about where to draw the line... What is the difference between a fair and an unfair advantage ? If my opponent doesn't cover their cards well and I'm able to peek at it, should I do it ? Should I shut up and use that advantage for my own profit for as long as I can exploit it, or should I tell the person because in the a real fair game, I should not be able to see the opponent's cards ?

Other example, would it be ethical for a player to constantly insult and say bad personal things about their opponents at the table in order to mess with their head and force them to make mistakes ? It's not illegal, it's not cheating, but is it ethically acceptable ?

Last edited:
Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Without these factors poker would be just a game of chance.

A

alonsorizo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
The players have no limits, in a way I don't understand the question if you have the ability to lie you have to do it otherwise you won't have a chance of excelling in poker. The debate would be whether playing poker is ethical, which is also absurd since this game is totally legal and normal.
Now what wouldn't seem ethical to me is for the algorithm to favor certain players.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that ethics in poker has no limits, as long as you don't know what cards your opponents have, of course, I don't think that getting caught in the trap of winning as many chips as possible has anything in common with ethics.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If I didn't play by the rules I wouldn't enjoy my winnings.

I guess it's a hard burden to actually have a conscience.

But it makes me sleep better.

Lying about your hand if someone asks you is a little bit of a gray zone. It's not like I am going to tell the truth.

S

stikik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
I only focus on the game. Poker is a game of deception and pretense

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fair game to get in someone's head. but be careful stupid games have stupid prizes