to early to teach my daughter how to play poker?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the mother of 4 daughters I wholeheartedly support you in teaching your daughter poker, especially at her critical age. In addition to what everyone else has said, poker is a great confidence builder and teenage girls are often filled with doubt about themselves no matter how "cool" they appear on the outside.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even math aside, poker is a great way to teach your kids about some rather heady concepts like monetary value, patience, social skills, budgeting, fair play, etc....

Don't let anyone tell you your teaching her to gamble. In fact your probably doing her a service if you can prepare her for the demons that have hounded many poker players over the years.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing Poker at the age of 14, got taught by my uncle. I'm 20 and he died on a Sunday morning almost 3 years ago and I'll always remember the last night he was alive, on a Saturday evening playing with him, my brother and my cousin around the kitchen table. I still play now and the things he taught me and the memories I have of us playing always help me and remind me. Teaching her, if you do it right, can't be a bad thing on both those levels- teaching her the fundamentals of good poker and having some wonderful memories of her Father.

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is any harm in teaching her how to play. I would proably even let her play like $6 sngs online. It's a good game to help you with algerbra (which I'm assuming she is taking in 8th grade)? Either way, I doubt a 13 year old girl will turn into a full blown degenerate,lol. I'd be more worried about a boy having trouble with understanding money at an early age.

D

DietDave

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My oldest daughter is 13 years old. She asked me to teach her how to play. She already plays on facebook sometimes but she wants to learn how to play well. She is a smart girl and has a good head for math. I have found poker to be a great source for extra money and I think that skill could be beneficial for her when she becomes an adult. Now I am not suggesting letting her play for real money or anything and she is a 13 year old girl so emotions will affect her I am sure (of course this is a vital lesson in poker also) but I have faith she could become a good player. I know I wish I had someone to teach me when I was 13.

No, it's not too early at all in my opinion. I wouldn't look at it as just about making money for when she's older. If she becomes a good player and makes money later on in life, then great. But think of the skills that can be acquired from learning to play poker; math, patience, money management, etc. These skills can be applicable to many things beyond just a game of cards, right?

Texas hold’em will not only teach math but will influence a person’s development of good sportsmanship, confidence, discipline, and analytical thinking. Many learning skills and qualities are more tangible when explained through poker because it has some good jumping off points to teach what is required for life.