DragTheBar video excerpts for Cardschat

FlopIt2Me

FlopIt2Me

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all who took part in adding this to the site!! I think it will be a great benefit to all of us who check it out! :)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm playing mixed games as well, that was the initial motivation to study LHE. I'm hoping to make mixed games a primary game for myself fwiw - since all the players have strengths and weaknesses, finding players who are weak in the games I'm stronger in should be profitable, as long as I improve in the games I'm weak in lol :) .

The consensus I've seen in all forums is Grudzien's book Winning Tough Holdem Games - haven't read it myself though, so can't comment. Paul has mentioned that he's writing a book on LHE - can't wait to see it.

P.S. Shameless CC plug :) - If you haven't read FP's strat posts, these are excellent as well: https://www.cardschat.com/blog/04/30/best-poker-strategy-blog-posts/ They're mostly LHE, which isn't obvious since he's currently playing NLHE.

Thanks for your help. I might be poking my head in the Non holdem cash threads more often in the future :D

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Poker Warrior - DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may not be the best thread to post in, but just a quick question.

In the near future im looking to really get stuck in and learn LHE, I believe if you have a strong LHE game, you can just about play any form of poker. I also believe that it would help to build up my post flop skills. (I'm mostly a SNG player, limited cash experience)

Where is the best place to get started? Books? Drag the bar? playing low limit LHE? What would you recommend a novice LHE player to start out doing?

Sounds like a good plan. If you have Drag the Bar, I'd recommend watching my first video, Learning How To Learn. The whole video is essentially an answer to this question. I have another 42 videos on there that cover LHE strategy. (so far - more to come). There are a couple other sites that also have excellent LHE content.

As for book, I'd recommend Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Sklansky & Malmuth for more introductory concepts, and Winning In Tough Holdem Games for more advanced ones. I have more than one book planned that I hope will lead me to give different recommendations in the future. :)

LHE gives you the opportunity to play a large number of hands and see lots of showdowns, and as such I think it's great for your poker development.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Poker Warrior - DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given that this is a poker forum, I should also mention that posting hands and replying to other players' hands is a great way to work on your game.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We are pleased to announce that DragTheBar will be creating video excerpts exclusively for Cardschat members. Various coaches from DTB will create the videos and will participate in the discussions about the concepts discussed in the videos here at Cardschat.

We will have coaches for various game types - cash games, tournaments, sng's etc participating.

1. The first video has been created by Hunter Bick who is one of the co-founders of DTB. He is a significant winner at mid-stakes heads up and 6-max NLHE.

You can view the video and join in the discussion here:

BeachJustice on Overbet Bluffs

2. The second video was created by Paul Hoppe aka GiantBuddha. He is a limit coach at DTB and even if you don't play limit you will learn something from this video.

GiantBuddah's Hand of the Day

I will update in this thread each time a new video thread is created. (We are not sure what the frequency will be - but it will be an on-going thing.)

DragTheBar offers a free seven day trial when you register. I have been a member there for a few months now and have found some great videos.
Thanks for this info...will check it out...I certainly need help with aspects of my game. What's the charge after 7 days? Regards, Wally

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm playing mixed games as well, that was the initial motivation to study LHE. I'm hoping to make mixed games a primary game for myself fwiw - since all the players have strengths and weaknesses, finding players who are weak in the games I'm stronger in should be profitable, as long as I improve in the games I'm weak in lol :) .

The consensus I've seen in all forums is Grudzien's book Winning Tough Holdem Games - haven't read it myself though, so can't comment. Paul has mentioned that he's writing a book on LHE - can't wait to see it.

P.S. Shameless CC plug :) - If you haven't read FP's strat posts, these are excellent as well: https://www.cardschat.com/blog/04/30/best-poker-strategy-blog-posts/ They're mostly LHE, which isn't obvious since he's currently playing NLHE.

Sounds like a good plan. If you have Drag the Bar, I'd recommend watching my first video, Learning How To Learn. The whole video is essentially an answer to this question. I have another 42 videos on there that cover LHE strategy. (so far - more to come). There are a couple other sites that also have excellent LHE content.

As for book, I'd recommend Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Sklansky & Malmuth for more introductory concepts, and Winning In Tough Holdem Games for more advanced ones. I have more than one book planned that I hope will lead me to give different recommendations in the future. :)

LHE gives you the opportunity to play a large number of hands and see lots of showdowns, and as such I think it's great for your poker development.

Thanks a lot guys, this info should be really helpful, off on my LHE journey i go :D

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I finally broke down and got a one month subscription to DTB. It's not really in my budget, but I'm using some of the money I would normally put into poker. I'm actually going to put a lot of time this month on DTB and then I'll decide whether or not to buy a year subscription.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 3rd video from DTB has been posted:

Zerosum79's ABC's of SNG's Part 1

Feel free to ask zerosum79 questions in the thread.

Nice video - thanks zerosum!

One question I have is how do you derive the %ages of the villains range? In your vid for example you used 35% of their range for pushing with 5BB but how did you arrive at that figure? I can see how we can then use this figure to derive an output from SNGWizard but is it a case of 'garbage in, garbage out'?

Cheers

Mark

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
4th one coming any time? (pretty please....):hello:

T

Trimming1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indirectly maybe. Dusty and I talked about doing something but not anything specific. Then Phil and I had some discussions and this was the end result. We talked about videos for Cardschat and this is the idea Phil had that we thought might be good.
Thanks DAKOTA. i WAS IMPRESSED BY THE QUALITY .SO does this mean we can get a free trial of their training site? hope that doesn`t sound silly , just trying to find out.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can go to dragthebar.com and get a 7 day free trial, Trimming1. After that you have to pay though. But there are several options to earn free subscriptions by signing up at different poker clients and raking hands.

A

akcash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like drag the bar. zero's sit n go vids are like the finishing touches on sit n go strategy. (for me at least, after i read moshman thoroughly.)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We hope to get the next video up tomorrow.