downswing

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I talked to a friend of mine who had a losing streak that lasted 2 years. A very good player who did everything by the book generally. No tricky or flashy plays. He would just get beat with the best hand in. How long have you experienced a downswing? What % of your bankroll was depleted? Im asking because Im going through a similar thing now.
My friend who is a semi pro did get out of his slump but it was a tough time. Fortunately he had a big BR to start with and stuck to strict BR Management. That is he played with 400 to 600 X BB or 2% of his BR for MTT entry fee.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 year d/swong is just like unimaginable to me. I'm not sure what stakes or sites he was playing, but if a run lasted that long I would suspect he has some fundamental leaks in his game. In fact I doubt if he was a winning player.

Downswings can last a long time, this can mainly be caused by variance, but what often compounds the swong is leaks appearing in your play as well as tilt. My worst swing was in March this year were I lost about 21 buy ins over a month playing 6mx, and 50% of my roll.

I doubt whether I could lose 50% of my roll again b/c my BRM has since improved, but I can expect as most players might in the poker lifetime another horrid d/swong.