Does chatting at poker table help or hinder?

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chatting isn't bad, but if your ever all in or involved in a serious hand do not chat and DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS
"will you show if I fold?"
do not answer this question

S

sotakid80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it deff helps me. most of the time i dont even look at it, but it can be helpful to see when a player is tilting.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its definitely a strategy that can be used to distract another players.

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience in micro-limits games the chat is full of crazy staff when someone is on the heat or someone got bad beat...when I prefer to turn it off, just in case i wont loose my concentration reading that garbage. But in some freerolls i do prefer to chat and then i enjoy the game more :) It is actually really fun and good way to have new friends in poker community

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I dont chat while i am playing, but i read others chat.
I dont like when players are arguing and insulting each other during the game, specially during the freerolls with small prize

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chat while playing

Talking is a great aspect of the game. When playing in freerolls especially newbies tend to talk kore frequently. You can use chatting just to meet friends, or to help your game. It may also hurt your game. Here's an example of each scenario:

To help your game: One may use misleading raging comments to pretend one is tilt. Usually people read that angrier tilt players, therefore their range will be maximized, and you will be playing out of position. However, to use this to your advantage, you can keep the same range and keep betting seemingly unrational bets (but in reality you are trying to induce a call from your opponent). This will result in your opponent playing out of position, and ultimately to their defeat. This best works vs. weaker emotional players, or chatterboxes (usually found in lower stake tables).

To hurt your game: One may lose focus while chatting. This usually leads to one calling more out of position, which is quite similar to the opposite of the last example. One may also give reads while chatting. Smart poker players take any clue they can get to find a read on their opponents, even on a psychiatric level. This is why example 1 may be an asset to your game, because your deceiving your opponent, leading onto him false deductions.

Hope this helped, good luck at the tables.

Thanks,

I see what you mean. However, I am not smart enough to figure out players from their chat. As a rule, I listen more than talk, and never start the chat. Only get into chat after some on starts talking. lol

I do know or have read that very good players or serious players will try to get other players upset, just to get them off their game. If some one get nasty I will turn off chat.

I think I will do it this way, chat when I dont really care and dont chat if I want to win or finish in the money.lol

Thanks,

mke:trytofly: :icon_joke :call:

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it messes up my game, I get into a friendly chat and the next thing I know, I not on my game and making calls I would not make, guess it depends on how hunger over I am.

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I leave my chat on but prefer to remain quiet at the table... I do find it hard if I have buds at the table and a back and forth conversation starts.

DaBrowner

DaBrowner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't usually engage in chat, just like to listen just incase it helps me read a player.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On some sites like 888 if you type in the chat window and press enter it puts a bet in on the table if its your turn to act.... whoops done that a few times...
If you inadvertently suck out on some one, you can help to put them more on tilt with comments like "I always feel lucky on Monday", this usually leads to an explosion of abuse but Tilted players are good for your bankroll.
This is where you want to chat.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks,

I see what you mean. However, I am not smart enough to figure out players from their chat. As a rule, I listen more than talk, and never start the chat. Only get into chat after some on starts talking. lol

I do know or have read that very good players or serious players will try to get other players upset, just to get them off their game. If some one get nasty I will turn off chat.

I think I will do it this way, chat when I dont really care and dont chat if I want to win or finish in the money.lol

Thanks,

mke:trytofly: :icon_joke :call:

Haha yeah that's a good rule of thumb. You'll meet some of the most interesting people or have some of the most interesting debates when chatting; I don't despise it.

But if you ever want to, try to induce a tilt player to call your hands, or try to act dumb when chatting once. I always find that I will softly chuckle after taking down the hand. It's always a good experience :)

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On some sites like 888 if you type in the chat window and press enter it puts a bet in on the table if its your turn to act.... whoops done that a few times...
If you inadvertently suck out on some one, you can help to put them more on tilt with comments like "I always feel lucky on Monday", this usually leads to an explosion of abuse but Tilted players are good for your bankroll.
This is where you want to chat.

888 lets you throw eggs and tomatoes at someone lol, sometimes I get hit for no reason . I wish there was an option to duck lol that would be so cool if someone throws and missed.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not engage in chat live or online. In fact in live games i wear ear plugs.

chat will not help my game.

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love chatting with my buddies when playing poker, (if it's the only game at the time). I think it makes me play better because I want to play well to stay in and chat with them. Especially the ones that I haven't seen in a while.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I dont chat while i am playing, but i read others chat.
I dont like when players are arguing and insulting each other during the game, specially during the freerolls with small prize

I think it always has been and will be)))) it's always when you win you scold as though used not normal handling in your direction it's certainly not correctly sorry when he says something's not my neighbour and if his eyes burned )

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't help nothing for me, my chat is always on but i prefer be quiet and concentrate on my game. :)

D

dziaba0303

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use chat most of the time. It sometimes gives me some serious tells about my enemies. You just have to thing about what to chat - don't tilt! :D

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One thing I have learned with regards to chat is to not believe anything anyone says, or not allow it to influence my decisions. I got scammed in a CC freeroll once by someone who min-raised UTG and said it was a misclick. I had 76s in the BB and bought into their BS, so I shoved. Villain had KK.

Yeah, misclick all right. Chat isn't necessarily a reliable source of tells, someone can pretend to be tilted so that somebody else will be tempted to call light when they shove with a monster hand. I've done this after being on the bad end of a major suckout and got paid off very well.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
best advice is to turn the chat off, it can distract you from the game, even make you tilt and in most cases its not worth it.

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of "incomplete information". So I think it's best to be more of a listener than a chatter at a table.

D

Diamond1990

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience to spoil my game. Live and on-line listening only. I like to pay attention.: Cool:

M

Mantulis LT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me helping after i win 2 or more hands from same person and start joke and made him angry then HE start raising with trash

G

Game_Gran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chatting at a "live" poker table - we actually call it talking - is essential. Online not so much. You can learn a lot about someone from what they say but the chat box online can be a place to easily fool opponents into thinking something you want them to think. Not so easy in real life. Online I am as quiet as a mouse.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a funny sarcasm sometimes that helps me release anger or tilt. I say something like good one your awesome. Takes mad skill to do that and stuff like that