do you think poker is a sport?

M

micahhoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people think of sports as being physical. I think sports can be mental too. Just don't call yourself an athlete.

Poker is definitely not an athletic sport.

P

p0cketAz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a hobby, a game, even a lifestyle... theres nothing physically demanding about poker... if poker was a sport you think greg raymer would be a champion?

D

DertyJerz1014

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion poker is a game, but in ways it is also a sport. I see some people said that its not physical, but it actually is. When you sit in a seat for 9-10 hours and concentrate constantly, it takes a physical toll on your body. Another reason its a sport is because you have to train a lot to master it, its not like playing checkers, it takes a lot of skill to be a great poker player. Its not something you can master overnight. So yeah I would say poker is a sport.

I

ivanardan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a sport beacuse its competition

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would prefer the term 'activity'. As an avid soccer player I require physical contact, not to include Phil Helmuths spittle as he berrates you for a sketchy call ona large pot, to consider something a sports. Sports channels play the tournaments on the TV because it generates the revenue. They needed new sponsers to tap and a new audience. . .poker was getting more attention with a few televised tournaments. . .poof. . .poker is now on every day in some form or another. They [ESPN, CBS, NBC, etc.] tapped that source as quickly as possible.

wolfstew

wolfstew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Compition wise there is no question it is a sport..mentally it takes more concentration than other more physical sports and physically no matter what anyone says it is a bitch to sit at a table for 10 plus hours.. And after all that do i think thye will one day add it to the olympics?? prob not..

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes

i say yes because there is skill of some kind involved,,,,,,some say it's not physical, i disagree the endo it takes and to try to stay focus after sitting at a table for hours (days) sure as hell takes its toll on the human body...

just my thoughts
take care

Casecrs

Casecrs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport by far man

This game .... is a sport it is skilled play!!! cause you have options it's not just a flip of a coin some times your decisions are but never poker it's self.

S

swizaro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is playing pool a sport? i play hockey, and used to play several other sports, and i just can't consider poker as a sport, as much as i love playing poker. but when u think about it, there isn't that much more movement in pool as in a live game of poker. they both require extreme mental focus and awareness, but without the physical fatigue it seems hard to call poker players, and even pool players, athletes. just my two cents anyone agree? lol

E

Earnhardt388

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i consider poker to be a sport because a sport, by definition, is defined by the people that play it.

W

WCFields

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but thats pure unadulterated crap...

Have you ever played golf ?

Tiger Woods is as fit as any athlete to compete at the level he does and every golf professional will spend as long in the gymnasium as almost any other sportsman. The amount of physical work they do playing the game is almost as much as any other sportsman.

If thats the best argument you can come up with then sorry, you best go back to the drawing board.

Golf is not really a sport. It's like pool. It's concentration and discipline and equipment. That beer guzzling blond haired chubby guy would be closer to Tiger than anyone on the tour if he was able to manage himself and tone it down to a low roar.

W

WCFields

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people think of sports as being physical. I think sports can be mental too. Just don't call yourself an athlete.

Poker is definitely not an athletic sport.

And yet there are many sports in Poker. Good sports, bad sports, and free spending sports.:deal:

melcu65

melcu65

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think poker is the sport of the mind:p
it's better a hoby,a game, than a sport.

F

Fivver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can buy the argument that poker is not a sport in an athletic sence, but just as an athlete has to make an effort in order to become good at whatever sport or sports he or she wants to become good at, so does a poker player have to practice or hone his/her skills at the table. In order to have the stamina that it takes to participate in a major event the player has to be fit both physically as well as mentally. So okay in the pure translation or meaning of the word a sport, but without a doubt it is a form of competition that takes skill, talent and practice.

O

OnceMore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish it is. At least that way I can tell my gf I'm athletic.

S

sd great 1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a card game ,, playing in a tournament is a competition, but not a sport,

W

WCFields

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can buy the argument that poker is not a sport in an athletic sence, but just as an athlete has to make an effort in order to become good at whatever sport or sports he or she wants to become good at, so does a poker player have to practice or hone his/her skills at the table. In order to have the stamina that it takes to participate in a major event the player has to be fit both physically as well as mentally. So okay in the pure translation or meaning of the word a sport, but without a doubt it is a form of competition that takes skill, talent and practice.

OK, I guess poker is a 1/2 a sport.

It's a lot like baseball though in that you mix up your pitches while waiting for your pitch.

D

David Pisch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker isn't really sport, cause sport is physically activitiy and while playing poker you don't move yourself. Poker is in a sense a sport like ''Schach''; a brain sport.

J

jguillen88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think is a sport. because u thinking about strategy in poker. But...
Is necesary the real money to play poker?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i consider poker to be a sport because a sport, by definition, is defined by the people that play it.

i think it is a sport. not sure why, but it should be.

I Think is a sport. because u thinking about strategy in poker. But...
Is necesary the real money to play poker

The definition of sport is .....

an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

If it does not require physical exertion.. it is, by definition, not a sport. It is as simple and clear cut as that.

Just because discpline, and practice is required dosnt make it a sport. Just because it is competitive dosnt make it a sport either.

Poker is defined as a game.

A whale is not a fish just because it swims in the sea, and poker is not a sport just because its hard!!!

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obviously,not,a,sport,otherwise,you,would,have,to, lump,in,monopoly,clue,
mousetrap,....etc.

monopoly.. ah yes the game which destroys families.. that game should be banned!!

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is NOT a sport.

Poker is gambling.

People say its a sport to feel like they're actually good at sports. So If they're a guy who couldn't play any real sports like Football, Baseball, Basketball...but they're really good at poker....they'll say poker is a sport.

F

fabricioendler

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with a lot of opinions here. I will give mine.

I think that it´s a sport for sure. It cannot be a physical sport, but its a mental sport.

When people gets envolved in a competition, with players of all the world, being transmited by ESPN for example, running for the status of being a good player and running to win the competition and the money, it is for sure considered sport.

ESPN won´t lose time to show competition, without the purpose of show sports. Even if its not a physical sport.

Like golf, golf is a sport, why do you think it isnt a sport ?? Guys keep walking at the field for meters and meters, they have to use the body to give the shot. So it is physical.

In poker, players uses their hands to bet, to see cards, to change table to table.

Like pool, at pool, players have to keep walking around the table, in a round, they can walk a lot of meters, without count the fact of use their arms to aim and shoot ...

So, I think it is a sport FOR SURE !!!

Regards

Fabricio