Do you think this Personal Challenge is doable?

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$25 a month to $20k by end of year starting at May???

I would be Depositing $25 a month into my PS account starting May.

If I followed a solid BR management do you think I could make it to $20K by 2010 by playing part time?

I sort of did the math, correct me if I'm wrong.

8 months x 30 days approx. = 240

20k / 240 = approx 84 rounded up

That means to make the goal, I would have to make $84 profit a day.

By doing SNG Grinding and the occasional huge MTT, do you think I can do it? Should I set the goal higher or keep it?

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
you can if youre good lol.

what are your stats etc.

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol lets say hypothetically that i was a little short of amazing :D

The stats are a little bit embarrassing atm. Not too bad though, just on the neg profit line :D about $100

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no way....first of using a 25$ bank roll following correct BRM would mean youd have to play .25 cent mtts or sngs, which arent runnning a lot, or 2NL which you still would be under rolled for.

Not only that, but if you did play bigger mtts or cash games, variance would def kill your small roll...

sry but i think it is impossible unless you get insanely lucky in a lower buy in mtt and win like 5-10k....

EDIT: your username is depressing...maybe poker isn;t your game :D

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
see how well you can do in your first month, then set a goal for the rest of the year imo

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
well assuming u had exp. in the upper stakes and have a dec. winrate then yeah u can do it.

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you truly think you can do this, then you are vary naive about poker.

E

ElTrain

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see this happening. You're math is assuming you won't have any downswings or make less than $84 a day. You're just setting yourself up for failure. I think the suggestion on trying out your schedule for a month and tailoring your goal based off of that is a wise one.

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EDIT: your username is depressing...maybe poker isn;t your game :D

I am going through an episode of major depression :eek:

And poker IS my game because it is the only thing that brings me little enjoyment on this earth. So my counselor says play it more and do the other things that make me happy. Too bad there aren't other things :(

I'm going to give it a shot for a month at least. If I make $2.5k in the first month, I will continue it. If not, set the bar a little lower.
I have full confidence I will be able to complete this goal. I know I can win at the 45 man $5.50 SNGs consistently. But of course I will start at the $1 SNGs with my current $25 br.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to give it a shot for a month at least. If I make $2.5k in the first month, I will continue it. If not, set the bar a little lower.
I have full confidence I will be able to complete this goal. I know I can win at the 45 man $5.50 SNGs consistently. But of course I will start at the $1 SNGs with my current $25 br.

whoa, hoping to make 2.5k off of a $25 deposit in the first month is crazy. the first couple months will have to be spent moving up grinding through the micros until you're at the medium stakes, where you'll have a chance of a month like that.

J

jonny17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this does seem a little optamistic with that br but give it a shot for a month you might get lucky in a mtt and that will really give you a boost good luck

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making $100/day is very doable once you are at decent stakes. But you'll need a good $1000 roll before you could start earning at a $20+/hr sort of rate. While you build your roll to that stage from $25 you will be playing for pennies. Additionally, if you don't beat poker decently then you probably will need at least nl100 (or comparative sngs) to be making $25/hr+, which means a good $2.5k roll.

Furthermore, and i realise that this is none of my business, but i would HIGHLY advise you to work on depression issues independently of poker. The swings in poker are not particularily conducive to a solid personal wellbeing. Basically what i am saying is if all you have in life is poker, then life is really going to suck at times. Having your emotional wellbeing tied to poker is just not good imo, because you WILL have super super super shitty poker days and you do not want that to result in a shitty real life day every time. I'm not sure your counselor realises the sort of havoc that poker can play with your mind/emotinos.

Anyways, regarding the goal--i wouldn't even make a goal. Being results oriented in poker is not good and you are better off to just follow good roll management, set a goal for a certain volume of play, and try to be happy with what you accomplish.