do you think its worth defending AQoff to 3bets OOP?

05blacksheep11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
serious question as im thinking it makes a kinda cruddy defend even AJs feels more right even though it is another dominated ace just the suitedness and connectedness and fact got more flops can continue work with i my head makes it better defend anyone feels similar or am i alone with that? in postion think can justify calling it though still doubt it makes money maybe breaks even marginally loses longterm?
if anyones wondering yh cash games questions about, i personally hate defending it, actually theres lot i hate defending but still do but thats beside point mean if could (but probably cant due to huds) id defend AKs and JJs only ha odd middling suited connectors thrown in here and there for cough cough balance lol

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
serious question as im thinking it makes a kinda cruddy defend even AJs feels more right even though it is another dominated ace just the suitedness and connectedness and fact got more flops can continue work with i my head makes it better defend anyone feels similar or am i alone with that? in postion think can justify calling it though still doubt it makes money maybe breaks even marginally loses longterm?
if anyones wondering yh cash games questions about, i personally hate defending it, actually theres lot i hate defending but still do but thats beside point mean if could (but probably cant due to huds) id defend AKs and JJs only ha odd middling suited connectors thrown in here and there for cough cough balance lol

I'm ok with folding it.

But if I do defend with it then I might want to check-raise my opponent's c-bet on the flop.

Good luck !

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This spot is pretty player dependent. Correct me if I am wrong but the GTO approach is probably to fold the hand and move on.

For me, if I am deep enough - and I have no solid info on the player, I would probably see a flop with it and proceed to play it pretty passively. If I know the player is pretty tight and unlikely to 3 bet me with worse - it's a snap fold. The opposite side to this is if I know the player is opening a ton and 3 betting a little light - I would stick a healthy 4bet in or possibly just ship it.

I think overall here for me I would probably call. I think A10s, maybe KQs, 99, TT, JJ, etc - all 3 bet you from later position so AQ has some equity vs quite a decent range. It's only a fold if you think your opponent is playing the very top of ones range...AK, QQ or better.

Summary- depends on your gut and information on the player to make a solid decision. That being said - Option 1 - call and play passively. Option 2 - fold and move on. I think both moves are fine.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a very situational question. It can be a great 4-bet mechanism actually. Calling can be good in some spots, and against tight players where you suspect trouble, folding can make sense too. Really, it's a tough question that won't produce major results either way.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on opponent. In a table where everyone is a fresh face, assume someone has AKs or a decent pair.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
60 bb + call
3bet 9 = + call
in other cases, I am guided by the player, and the stage of the tournament

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is important that you find that fine balance between knowing when to call, fold or get even more aggressive by re-raising them right back. We don’t want to become one of those easily exploitable regs who fold to 3Bets way too much. But we also don’t want to just mindlessly call 3Bets with no plan on how to win the pot either. Because this is an even faster way to lose money.

So the real key to a successful 3Bet defending strategy is knowing when to call, when to 4Bet and knowing when to simply back down and choose a different battle to fight.

Now of course nearly everything in poker is infinitely easier to do while in position. So I would certainly suggest defending wider when you are in position as a default strategy. This means that your calling range when you are in position should always be a little bit wider than when you are out of position.