Do you ever put an opponent on quads?

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Speaking strictly about boards with two instances of a card, not three.

I notice that no poker strategist ever discusses the possibility of the opponent having quads in these positions. I also noticed that I myself don't think I've ever put an opponent on this hand. Quads are just too rare to ever fold under the assumption that you're beat by them. Have you ever done it?

You asked and then you answered it already by yourself. :D Never, as Quads are just too rare. I would rather put my opponent on higher Full House, than Quads really.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whenever the board is folded I keep an eye on this possibility of block or full house so I left flush and full house but normally I pay for this possibility to be very rare

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rarely but it happens. I feel like it's usually more of me realizing that the opponent's general range is better than mine and quads are included in that range. It's hard to pinpoint specifically what hand a person has but I do think it's good practice to think about the range of hands they have and to decide from there.

D

dejohn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult to do!!

Just the other day playing a tournament on Sportsbet I was dealt pp 2's....:confused:...limped in ....one raise after me....just called...:D..flop was 2K2😲...I bet about 25%of the pot to act like I had the King... hesitation with the player he/she called....turn was an Ace🤞...I bet same continuation bet ...he/she raises...I gotcha:ciao:..just called raise.. checked river..player all in...YES I do call..Thanks have good day!!! I guess they didn't see the quads... difficult to read

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. I have thought someone had trips that became quads. But usually , no.

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No,I've never done it and it's really hard to do that when you have a flush or a full house,for an example.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's very rare but it happens, I never did

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I've been in this position once but the player I was up against was a new live player and reading him was pretty easy.

Long story short: If the board pairs, play it like he made his set. Unless you can beat a set or it's a set race, you know you can get away from it. If you fill up because of the paired board, then you have to consider that he's got a pair in his hands.

So basically, every street, adjust your thinking and assuming you can and will be beat. Then just work out how likely that is and whether the player has it in them to bluff in that position. If your answer comes a no, then reluctantly fold.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Speaking strictly about boards with two instances of a card, not three.

I notice that no poker strategist ever discusses the possibility of the opponent having quads in these positions. I also noticed that I myself don't think I've ever put an opponent on this hand. Quads are just too rare to ever fold under the assumption that you're beat by them. Have you ever done it?

No. BUT... "I had a feeling"
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/bad-beats-vents-71/a-bad-beat-378599/

B

BobBorden

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope. If I have a boat (within reason) and the villain has quads (- 3A on board in raised pot).. gg
(PLO tho..)

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless it was a 3/4 bet pot preflop and its a board with AA KK QQ I don't see any another scenario where I could fold. I would also have to have a lot of history with the player too. Seems too rare

509fio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have never. I've only hit quads a few times, just last night was one of them. Was gonna end up losing set over set until I rivered quads...needless to say mixed feelings.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a good question because it is rarely expected.
I probably spend more time wondering what kind of a full house they may have than the possibility of quads.

K

keglefreak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Quads??

With 3 alike cards on board maybe but never with only 2..:)

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never believe in quads lol

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Usually when I run through possible hands opponent has on paired board Quads is usually the one I don't consider and I think to myself oh that is what you got when the hand is over.

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen a few streamers go through a few hands the opponent could have where they strongnly consider quads and make the call anyways and find out they are right. I did it once in PLO where I was pretty sure he had quad 8s so instead of value betting something reasonable I shoved pot with my straight flush and got the call

G

givememylifesavingsback

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much two situations I expect quads 1. when there's three of a kind on the table 2. when my opponent is like 5 betting with minimum raises. I think you made the right move, and I'd probably be too excited about my aces to have thought of quads in that situation. Good on you!

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point, I am not skilled enough to put someone on quads. I have to hope to call, rather than raise, and NOT lose all my money.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I was ruined by a squad 6666 I had K8 vilian A6 flop K 6 6 I Thought I was nuts and the turn came 6 and I realized that my full house was winning and I shoved the vilian instant call and showed me A6.I wanted to kill myself.

Last edited:
manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only once and I was right He had poker of kings after that I couldn't :(

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
For all the time that I play poker, it happened a maximum of two or three times.
In general, very rarely.
Good luck.

Mikica1122

Mikica1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never imagined that the opponent has quads and it happens that somebody wins me with quads maybe only once since I play poker

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
defintely have put people on trips all the time but man quads thats a very hard read since it is so unlikely in omaha maybe can put a guy on trips but in holdem heck to no think that is giving players way way too much credit this like making soul reads maybe you can do it live but online no way in heck you can do this