do you enjoy poker

Boston1993

Boston1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do I like poker more now than when I started ?

more then when you first started out?

when I started out I was just another donk that did not know how to play and really did not care. I was gambling not actually playing. I loved it, there was no stress and since I was playing play chips when I lost my bankroll I waited 5 minutes then I reloaded.

Then I thought that I should try to become good at it (just a horrible idea). I read books, joined this site. I actually come on this site a lot but I never post. Thats when poker started to suck.

after losing countless of playchips, a 20$ dollar bankroll (that I grinned up from freerolls then .01/.02 tables) from a bad swing, bad play then tilting the rest away I have come to a conclusion that poker sucks.

okay this rant actually has a question involved in it.

has anyone ever felt like this?
if you have how did you get over it because I felt this way for months.
should I just give up because I honestly do not enjoy it anymore.

and the main qustions is

do you enjoy poker?
if so, do you enjoy it more now or when you were beginning

Prepare,
To be honest, I love playing poker about the same and play both and money. Mostly play money though. I've read so much about this/that that my little pea brain is confused at my age of 72. So, I play lots of play money chip games and find it fun and challenging. My goal is to build up enough chips to play the larger play money games and see how many chips I can make. I play small clan games on Full Tilt with Railbirds/Lizzards/others, but being on limited income, I limit my money gambling. The money games are fun and exciting, but the problem I'm experiencing is that 90% of the time you are playing the same players and they can build a file on your type of play and then it really gets tough. I still try, but not real successful most of the time. You get to know your clan members and there is a lot of chatting during play and I have a problem chatting unless it's to congratulate good play and complain about slow play. Why does it take 30 -45 seconds to decide when you are the first to play? Bugs me. When I see my hole cards, I immediately know whether or not to fold/play/gamble. Gitter done is my way. Good luck and fun to you in the future.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My AA just got cracked by 23o

NO I DON'T
I HATE POKER

(for the next few minutes)
Going for some fresh air to cool down.

D

Duamutef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love poker, but like anything else, it can be overdone. I generally find I rack up my largest series of losses when I am simply playing too much. Factor in the tilt with the burnout of playing too much, and I think just about anyone would be hating the game. I find taking a break for a few days or even a week really refreshes me, and I am excited to get back to playing. Actually, I am currently on a 3 week hiatus after tilting pretty badly...but during that time, I am still reading up on the game and watching it on the TV when I have time.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
loved it when i began always wanted to learn to be good....still learning though hahahaha and love it even more now...

madtom1337

madtom1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 cent 2 cent isn't poker... its like a freeroll from hell

Poker's poker. If the stakes effect the way you play, that's a psychological leak. The difference is the way others tend to play. If you can't beat 2NL cash, then you don't understand the fundamentals of beating and exploiting bad players, which is the bread and butter of beating poker for profit.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I enjoy playing poker when i'm running hot and seems like I can't lose but when I feel like I can't do anything to win I hate poker and take some weeks or sometimes months off poker and come back a lot more concentrated and well rested. No matter what I will always love poker, i'm the best but for sure I am not the worse. :)

SlySwagga

SlySwagga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm amazed to find ppl actually believe poker is something gorgeous. Poker is a b!tch and should be treated as such. Poker will eat u alive if u fall in love with it. Its like that bubbly, hot girl u met and u knew u should just fk her and not get emotionally involved but u still did.

I still enjoy the game but not cuz i think its beautiful. Its more b/c i can use it to my advantage w a bit of luck.

prepare

prepare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're a cash player and you're moaning about how utterly horrendous your variance is, particularly at the micros, your play probably just isn't that good to beat the games significantly yet.

I agree and disagree. my strategy is able to beat the .1/.2 cent game, thats what where I disagree.

where I agree with you is that my play is not good enough to beat that game, my poker play is not all strategy it has a lot to do with my mind set. I have lost months of work of building a bankroll in a couple of hours because I could not stand up and see what is going wrong.

I mentioned it in the beginning, I will quote my self "from a bad swing, bad play then tilting the rest away"

if I lose most times I will quit the table, look at my hands see if am I doing something wrong? am I being outplayed? or is it just variance?

but then there is that one time where I just say f it then I lose most my bankroll in a couple of hours.

I will quote my self one more time "from a bad swing, bad play then tilting the rest away"

a bad swing leads to bad play, (bad play is far from tilting my money away). bad play leads to me tilting my money away. (trust me, this is not really bad play this is basically pushing with any two hoping that I will hit the 40% in a 60 40).

honestly, this post was created because I was annoyed and wanted to rant but I still wanted had some questions.

so honestly, you are right my play is not able to beat this game, which is something I need to fix, but which comes to my main problem is that I do not enjoy poker that much, its like 10% of what it was when I first started. why try to fix my play, my play means nothing right now, if I decide to continue playing poker then I will start trying to improve my play.

this was supposed to be a quick short response.

to everyone else: thanks for advice (especially the set goals and post replays of your hands). thanks for the posting to this thread.

it is about 4 in the morning so if my grammar or spelling is incorrect its because I am not in the mood to proof read it and even if I did I still probably miss all my mistakes because I basically been running on coffee.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
David Sklansky hits the nail on the head when he says that the object of poker is to win money-thats where the fun is.

Yeah, I love poker, its fun because I win money. Which makes me sad because they just banned all online gambling including poker in South Africa.

Learn how to win and you will love poker.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I know i have invested a lot of studying time and playing time with not that great of results and eveyrtime I read something new I get hyped up and play some. Only to find out everyone else already seems to know this stuff.

I dont think its a question of do I like enjoy poker, Im just amazed at how intricate the game is and that makes it hard to just sit down and play causual games of poker cause you always got to be on it for real good results.

I find this more the case online than live poker though. Once I settle my nerves after sitting down at the table, for some reason it seems much more like fun real poker where online poker always has me on edge and I dont know why but I get more irratated losing a few bucks online than I do losing $50 or so live. Bare with me IM a real low roller.

I really enjoy poker but sometimes find it very unsatisfying. Like the Full titl commercial, the nights we lose we learn the most, maybe so but it really sucks losing so much LOL