Do you drink alcohol when you play poker?

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nowadays I drink alcohol as I start to lose and get beaten badly..Then, usually but not always
I do worse for some reason..Hmm?

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a personal matter for each of us ... if in moderation, then there is no problem. and if ...... then bad !!! when i drink then i don't play !!

DanielSpaan

DanielSpaan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i started with poker, i was always drinking alcohol.
8 from 10 times the alcohol made me a aggressive player.
When i quit the alcohol, it made me better choices and stay calm.
No alcohol for me!.

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would highly advise against drinking and driving...

I mean drinking and poker....... (usually it makes you do rash things).

Usually (as in my cases, it makes me play stupid). For you it may be different however.

Small vid:

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you feel about the game, and the game will treat you. I have been playing poker for more than 5 years, but I have never sat down to play poker with alcohol! for me it's like driving a car a taboo is strictly prohibited poker and alcohol are 2 different things!

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course not! alcohol and poker are two absolutely incompatible things! under the influence of alcohol, we often fall into tilt and commit the wrong emotional actions.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I have some questions about alcohol in poker.

1) Have you drunk alcohol when you play poker either online or live?

2) What do you think of moderate alcohol consumption as a disinhibitor method to play more concentrated?

3) What is your method of concentration when you play poker?

I clarify that I am not drinking alcohol when I play regularly, although I must admit that if I like to drink very occasionally when playing and moderately. :)

Greetings.

Hi! I drank during the game only once and it was 14th place out of 1200 players and it was online tourney with 1 bucks buyin =) To play more concentrated I use only Puerh tea and of course food every 4 hours. I think that alcohol makes people to do more hero calls and loose theirs chips unwisely.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally no. Alcohol impairs my cognitive ability and concentration, which has a negative effect on my reads, which has a negative effect on my winrate!

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great topic.

For me it varies, but definitely happens. Home game, yes, almost always.

Cash games in poker rooms I will drink a few early, loosen me (not my play, just my nerves) up a bit. When I play pool at the bar I dont shoot great until I have 2 beers in me, but if i drink to much i shoot horrible. Same logic for live cash games. 2 slow beers, then coffee. Repeat every so often with a meal in the middle. I finally learned to leave if i'm buzzed. One bad play will happen where i bluff away a lot of chips. Players (including myself) target the drunk guy.

I used to go to bed at 7PM on Fridays, wake up at 2AM and go to the Sugar House (Philly) or the Hawaiian Gardens (socal) bright eyed with coffee to take down the weekend drunk players. It worked well.

Live tourneys, rarely. If it's a 2 day event and we are at hour 9-10 waiting to bag for the next day my nerves are generally shot. I will drink 1 beer to make it all go away...

Online, same logic with a bump up in drinking. Cash games more because I can turn them off at any time. Tourneys only at the end when my nerves are fried and I'm pacing back and forth.

Always for celebration :)

So the clear cut, very specific answer is: sometimes, maybe.....

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah.. I was drinking once when I was playing online tournament, and I think that where my best play :D I just was calm and wasnt nervous about loosing

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Drinking alcohol and playing poker don't go hand in hand.
I have experienced playing poker while drinking alcohol and it's a disaster.

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wakng up with no bankroll

Over the past 10 years being able to legally purchase alcohol I have only had a few instances where I shouldnt have drank. Typically, it was when I was home after a fun night out and it was definitely bed time. Wake up and all of a sudden my online roll is dented and I cant figure out what. Got burned enough to not play with that fire anymore :)

J

jorge tinga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, not because I consider poker a sport, so when I'm not playing usually use alcohol, to be able to use all the ability, in which case the alcohol in me would disturb a lot.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink alcohol when I play poker on small stakes, but when it comes to serious tournaments, I prefer to give up alcohol