difference between slow play and slow roll

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha ha ha... good one! I've never had to worry about the latter... I make 'Biggee247' look like smally365.

I wouldn't normally ever intentionally slowroll online... but this guy was a particular ahole who had it comin'. (& will get it again, lol)

Some people like a challenge ;P.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Falsely accusing players of a slowroll is one of my biggest pet peeves.

In my mind, you can't really be accused of slowrolling if you don't have the absolute stone nuts. Even if you have the 2nd nuts, there's a chance you could be behind. I've been boated over my nut flush more times than I can remember, so CAM's case of taking his time with the nf after the board pairs is obviously not a slowroll. Now if there is no pair out there, and no sfd, then ok, nut flush is nuts.

Same with PO's KK -- even though he intentionally tried to slowroll it, it's still not a slowroll in my book. There's always AA, and who hasn't seen AA vs KK a hundred times before? Granted, I probably won't ever fold KK pre either, unless it's a DoN/satty near the bubble, but that doesn't mean I won't take a moment to try and eliminate AA from your holdings first.

Some people argue that nuts or not, you wouldn't have folded anyway, so taking time is a slowroll. I disagree, because you don't know what I'm capable of folding. I might have made a soul read on you, or I might just be a wuss when my tourney is on the line, whatever. Zeebo's theorem to the contrary, I have laid down losing boats on at least a couple of occasions I can remember (once to a bigger boat, once to quads). Was it mathematically correct? Probably not, but it felt right (and was right). So don't tell me I'll never fold the 2nd or 3rd nuts. If I don't have the obvious stone nuts, especially in a tournament, I'm going to take as much time as I need to be sure. If someone *thinks* that's slowrolling, well I don't really care.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So when someone does intentionally slowroll.... it's not a slowroll???
you lost me here, LOL

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So when someone does intentionally slowroll.... it's not a slowroll???
you lost me here, LOL
Well, in your case... yeah, kinda. :) I mean, if that's your definition of slowroll then I guess it would. But in my mind, while it may have been intended as a slowroll, based on some folk's interpretation (mine included) it still doesn't qualify as one even if you called it that.

It's a semantical argument, but since I lost you, let me try to explain my line of thinking: Ultimately, you intentionally stalled. Okay, we agree on that. However stalling, in and of itself, is done for a number of reasons, a few being:
  1. slowplaying a big hand to induce action
  2. taking time to thoroughly analyze the hand and previous action in order to make the best decision you can
  3. to needle or tilt an opponent
  4. to give off a false tell
  5. to slowroll
Arguably, only the last one is considered an egregious breach of poker etiquette. So it comes down to the definition of the term, which is different to different people. It has to meet certain criteria to distinguish itself from the other stalling tactics. First and foremost, and we can all agree on, is that you are closing the action for the entire hand (e.g. facing an AI). Next, in my interpretation, you must have the nuts -- not simply a hand you're never folding. Therefore claiming that you intentionally slowrolled without the nuts means it couldn't actually be a slowroll to someone who defines the term as I do. It's more of a #3 or #4. Even beyond that, I consider there must be an intent to slowroll. I've probably unintentionally slowrolled someone, because I can recall numerous times where I misread the board or didn't realize I had a flush when I thought I just had a pair, or whatever. But in my mind that's not intentional so doesn't really qualify (although the opponent won't always trust you on that, so to them it'll always be a slowroll).

So I guess the distinction is whether you belong to the camp that includes "stalling on a non-nut hand you'd never fold" as slowrolling. They would see your play as a slowroll. I do not, so IMO it's just another case of running out the clock to needle your opponent. It's annoying, but does not stoop to the level of a slowroll.

The was the point I was attempting to make. ;)

B

buzzz45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks to all who replied to my post you were verry helpful