Creative Deception - unethical?

Mehman

Mehman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But to be fair, you get AA/KK/QQ at 10NL, it really doesn't matter what you bet to get callers.
I mean at that level there is no real need to decieve the utterly clueless, is there?

To OP, if someone is silly enough to call you then they deserve to get stacked :p.

You'd be suprised FTP 10NL atm, the majority of tables i've been on FR i'm lucky to get 1 or 2 with a VPIP > 20, it's not a table selection thing either it's all across it, they buy in for the min and only raise premium so you just pick at the blinds and fold to raises lol.

but then again...

full tilt poker Game #8912122262: Table Mount Auburn - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:37:24 ET - 2008/11/10
Seat 1: Mehman666 ($18.75)
Seat 2: LEARNEDTOWIN ($7.60)
Seat 3: Benny-Bar ($10.70)
Seat 4: LadyOfPerm ($1.60)
Seat 5: JDHoldem ($6.70)
Seat 6: MAVERICK913512 ($1.40)
Seat 7: blount84 ($1.75)
Seat 8: ChipShip ($10)
Seat 9: mavsman3126 ($3.95)
blount84 posts the small blind of $0.05
ChipShip posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Mehman666 [Ad Ah]
mavsman3126 folds
Mehman666 raises to $0.30
LEARNEDTOWIN calls $0.30
Benny-Bar raises to $10.70, and is all in
LadyOfPerm folds
JDHoldem folds
MAVERICK913512 folds
blount84 folds
ChipShip has 15 seconds left to act
ChipShip adds $0.10
ChipShip folds
Mehman666 calls $10.40
LEARNEDTOWIN folds
Benny-Bar shows [8s 8c]
Mehman666 shows [Ad Ah]
*** FLOP *** [7h Jc 3h]
*** TURN *** [7h Jc 3h] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [7h Jc 3h 6c] [2c]
Benny-Bar shows a pair of Eights
Mehman666 shows a pair of Aces
Mehman666 wins the pot ($19.85) with a pair of Aces
Benny-Bar is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $21.85 | Rake $2
Board: [7h Jc 3h 6c 2c]
Seat 1: Mehman666 showed [Ad Ah] and won ($19.85) with a pair of Aces
Seat 2: LEARNEDTOWIN folded before the Flop
Seat 3: Benny-Bar showed [8s 8c] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 4: LadyOfPerm didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: JDHoldem didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: MAVERICK913512 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: blount84 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 8: ChipShip (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: mavsman3126 didn't bet (folded)

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to remember that most of the players at $10 nl do not read articles or poker forums, they just play.

I do lots of spade work to add to the illusion of tilt, buying in for a random amount eg $9.27 so it looks like my last few dollars. And also typing about my "alleged bad beat for example " I had AK before the flop, and go all in, how can he call with a small pair??? I WAS FAVE FFS!!!!"

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do lots of spade work to add to the illusion of tilt, buying in for a random amount eg $9.27 so it looks like my last few dollars.

This actually does work I'm pretty sure. I know that if I see someone with an odd amount I sorta assume it's all they've got. I'd consider calling pretty light against someone like that who just open shoved. The thing is I've done it in the past and the majority of the people like that really are tilting and on their last dollars, so calling the shove with TT it usually +ev, but if you do it the other way it could work. Only problem is it works once against each opponent. If you do it at a table, that's 8 people who just saw you open shove AA and won't call you so light next time. Maybe it's fine at 10nl where there probably aren't a ton of regs. One other thing I've seen is someone open shoves and says in the chat box "AA". They'll get called light and flip over AA lol. I don't know if it's the strong means weak or whether it's just another variable that messes with their mind, but I've seen that trick work pretty high up.

Basically the point is though even if it works at 10nl, it's not really a very good general poker strategy if you have any intention of actually improving your game and moving up. And if you're a regular at all, the other regs aren't going to fall for that kind of move because they know you're not that bad lol.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alls fair in love and war and I guess this would also include poker.

T

tatvet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always wonder who is really sitting behind those.

I've gone for the next line of thinking behind that.

Everyone now looks at the bimbo with her £""$ on show and thinks easy money - no wait - is it some bloke sitting behind that, I'll be careful.

Much better to pick a female friendly animal, the sort of cutesy pie, non-obnoxious thing that most namby-pamby ladies will go 'ooooohhh' for, but no rough and ready blokes.

For mine I've got a frog - a large % of people presume I'm female, and I even get flirtacious advances (ps I'm not, and plenty of hair on the chest to prove it).

It's the next stage of deception.

Interesting that the check-raise was previously frowned on. Personally I love fooling peope with a strong hand from an apparently weak postion, much more enjoyable than playing a high pair and then winning a little with it.
But then again I don't have a big bank-roll, so perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong.

But I must admit I wouldn't fall for your 'annoyed mouse' tactics, not until I've seen you call someone else when you had 28 unsuited.

narizblanco

narizblanco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like it. Sometimes when I make s big hands I ask the opponent if He has a smaller hand like if I had a full house I might ask 'u got the flush?'

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i may have to change my avatar on FT and see what happens!!!

djrudeboy

djrudeboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
back to the point.
anything you can do to misdirect is ok. and usually expected. Most players know acting weak means strong and visa versa. However when playing with regulars sometimes i mix it up and act strong when i really am - and sometimes that works (especially live.) but typing in ive got AA before u go all in (when u really do!) - guaranteed to get disbelievers.
note: do NOT do this in a live tourney as telling the truth can get u in trouble.:joyman:

L

leavem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say it is unethical. If people fall for it that is their fault. Same as when people type "I gotta go, free chips" The fact that you can type this about your mouse before others act would automatically tell me you are full of it. If you really made a mistake chances are you would shut up about it.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think anyone who falls for it deserves to lose their chips
i agree. its basically the same as a live game, just different ways of using deception. if you think that "i gotta go " means i have no hand, then by all means, call, you deserve what happens. but i see nothing wrong with using this as part of your game