Couple of Holdem related questions

J

JamesC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, this is my first post. I have a couple of very stupid questions regarding texas holdem. I watch poker on TV and play with my mates the odd time but I still don't know the answer to these questions.

First of all, what hands is a kicker used to determine the winner? Obviously if two players have a pair of 10s each, but player 1 has an ace kicker as opposed to player 2 who has a 9, then player 1 will take the pot because of his ace. But are kickers used when both players have the same two pair, or is that just a split pot? Are there any times when kickers are not taken into account? Also, another example is if two players have a pair of 9s, player 1 with an 8 kicker and player 2 with a 6, but one of the community cards is an ace, is this a split pot because both players can have the ace as a kicker, or does player 1 win this pot because of the 8 in his hand?

Second question is something that happened to us in a recent game. I can't remember the exact way it happened, but here is a similar example. The blinds are 1 and 2. There are 4 players, one player calls the big blind, the player on the button also calls, small blind folds, and big blind decides not to raise. That means there is 3 players in for the flop with a pot size of 7. Now if somehow everyone checks the remaining bets and it ends up a split pot, how is the 7 chips divided equally among the 3 players? That isn't what happened in our game but there was a similar situation where there was a split pot but an odd number of chips. What do you do in this situation?

Sorry that post is quite long! thanks for any help :)

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First question :- must play best 5 cards. therefore with some hands the kickers will play, and on others they wont. eg 67 vs 68...board J6Q9A... is split as both player has 66AQJ. (ie 68 doesnt win because they have an 8, as the 8 doesnt play)

With your example AT vs T9...this could still possibly be a split pot with kickers not playing.

Second question :- earliest position gets the odd chip(s)

J

JamesC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice one Welly, that all makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Second question :- earliest position gets the odd chip(s)
just for clarity...he means the first person to the dealer's left that is involved in the pot...that's who gets the odd extra chip.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules