Controlling anxiety when playing poker

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
start out playing SUPER tight. Remember, you can essentially sit out 5 orbits and only lose $15.

That is a really important observation. It is often hard, emotionally, to sit there and fold, fold, fold while everyone else is having all the fun and making all the money. You'll see people playing total garbage and winning big pots and it makes you want to limp or limp/call with junk and hope you get lucky too.

But hoping to get lucky is not a long winning formula. You won't be down much if you sit there folding junk for 2 hours. And you'll probably have more chips than if you kept calling hoping to get lucky.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't drink any coffee and cold water, would make it even worst. Instead drink some green tea to relax you. Take some deep breath, do it couple times on breaks walk relax. Make better decisions don't trigger your self with anxiety with bad decisions stay focus. Do yoga! good luck mate

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice that works for one does not work the next. One piece of advice - drink more water, the other - do not drink the water. I think you really need to consult a doctor if the anxiety strongly affects the health. And the rest will only experience. More games, more experience and then you will find that it will help you to overcome your anxiety.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes, during the game, I also feel nervous, but in my opinion it is a natural feeling when playing poker. Moreover, these emotions usually bring some satisfaction to me, and therefore I think they are useful to me.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Controlling emotions is part of your mental game. There is no magic recipe to solve the problem unfortunately. I liked the book "mental game of poker" by jared tendler. If you read it carefully and follow advice it will help you.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
The control of emotions directly depends on your patience. Patience directly affects your results. Therefore, if you want to become a successful player, always try to be patient and avoid mistakes.
Good luck.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Meditation always helps me control my emotions. In my opinion, this is the most effective way to control emotions.

DanielSpaan

DanielSpaan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can try mindfulness, or other relaxing things.
But if nothing works, I smoke some weed to relax and drink coffee to concentrate.... Good luck!

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have difficulty controlling my emotional, mostly playing live, I get very anxious, I feel chills and shaking. Is there any exercise you can help me with?

I can relate to this and it sucks.

Lets first look at the positive side of this; people will not be able to get a solid read on you. I mean, you are basically anxious all the time -- not just when you get a hand. So good luck on them trying to decipher your tells.

But in general this is annoying. I start to sweat a ton at the table. Very uncomfortable.

What I have found is that meditation is a solution to this problem. Just before you go to your table, find a relaxing spot and just focus on your breathing and reprogram yourself to be calm.

Don't drink alcohol... while it takes the edge off, it will do more harm than good.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do yoga. Smoke herbs, but not much. Train your indifference))