Conspiracy Theory About Advice

M

mugge47

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some interesting replies here I think I appreciate Odysseus101 statement the most. Seems like a lot of work to target someone.

While I am trying to become adept at poker I qualify most of my posts with the fact that I am not a proven successful player(aka not an expert but...).

The other thing is, given the varied play on the WSOP it does not appear that there is any "Right" way of playing. Watching (forget the pro's name) make a call that was insane because he had a "feeling" and then watched as his card hit with like a 4-6% chance is bewildering at best.

Another example I can think of is this young guy few years ago hitting a very low pair (2 or 3) was not shaken at all by larger bets from his opponent (H2H) that had a better starting hand called flop and turn and even river to win the pot.. Commentators initially stated the guy was nuts and extremely lucky. Phil Helmuth piped in the kid had a great read!

My point is you can get conflicting advice does not necessarily mean one is wrong vs the other, you have to learn how to incorporate said advice into your style of play and if you can't, maybe that advice is not for you, so look elsewhere or figure something else out for yourself.

Just my opinion.

very good point

M

mugge47

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally try and give the worst possible advice simply because I don't have anything to lose from doing it, and everything to gain. So yes... I think in general most people who are even half way smart now a days try and give ubber bad advice to screw with your heads and get you to play bad.

:)

Don't EVER listen to anyone without understanding the WHY and really analyzing it to make sure it fully makes sense. If you're regurgitating what people are doing or saying, you're never going to be good at this game. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't mimic some play, but you need to understand the WHY always.

also very good point too

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally try and give the worst possible advice simply because I don't have anything to lose from doing it, and everything to gain. So yes... I think in general most people who are even half way smart now a days try and give ubber bad advice to screw with your heads and get you to play bad.

:)

Don't EVER listen to anyone without understanding the WHY and really analyzing it to make sure it fully makes sense. If you're regurgitating what people are doing or saying, you're never going to be good at this game. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't mimic some play, but you need to understand the WHY always.

Uh oh I have been taking your words as gospel glad I saw this LOL

Seriously though you have a quality perspective so you got me hook line and sink on the posts I have read from you John

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Like what are you saying? Conspiracy is like most idiotic word there is. I would never give bad advice to my best opponent, if I share my strat with him it will make him play better and thats good for both of us becuz if he plays good I can make more money like 100%. Bad poker players make the most moneyof Poker!

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But all the most profitable professionals hit a certain key, and that is visible in their game, just follow a session ... then I feel that does not make sense. Of course there's a lot of rubbish in all this, but it depends on who you follow and you have a certain degree of confidence ...

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like fold aces and bet 7 deuce?

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is nothing new for me to say some dumb ass shit that don't make sense. And I'm sure there are many others that have no problem with agreeing with. And when it happens my mouth taste like a shoe, which is mine. I've always said that when I say something out of line, without a reason, harmful at times, mean, without care, seen as plum nasty, clearly seen without any thoughts before being said, and there are plenty more I could dig up and add. But I'm sure you all get the pic I'm painting of myself and of the things I hate to have inside, because I consider myself as a good person who is quick to help, willing give my last, a person that can't turn his back on anyone, but it all looks like a bunch of ego building lies. and causes me to feel like I'm an inch tall, full of shit and ashamed of myself when I think of how many believe all those. So if it helps or not, mugge47 I'm sorry for anything I said that caused you to say the same things I would have, and many more, If any of my words caused you to have any negative thoughts toward CC at all, please tell me what those are or were, and I will take it from there. Well I could say sorry sorry sorry and many more but I've said that I believe saying SORRY is no where close to the words needed to make a person except and forgive me.so all the words above are for you only mugge47 and to make my saying I'M SORRY believable and excepted as coming from my heart. and as always, sorry it's so long, Lastly, my shoe taste like any nasty thing I can think of. and to make it worse, it's not easy to get out alone, so it may be in there long enough. Sorry I can't go on. GL AND THE END

Last edited:
IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things that work for some players, don't work for others due to differences in playing styles. What might be the correct play an aggressive players perspective, may not seem like the correct play to a more passive player. Also, tournament and cash game players tend to look at the game from different perspectives. You have to consider what type of player the advice is coming from and what type of game it is being applied to.

Some players, especially cash game grinders, tend to make decisions based on statistical probabilities. From a cash game perspective, a +EV play is always going to be a the correct play, because even if it doesn't work out this time, over time it is expected to be the profitable play. Of course in a tournament, you have to consider more than just the math. You have to consider tournament dynamics. In a cash game you can just rebuy, But in most tournaments, this is not an option. You have to protect your tournament life. You have to consider money bubbles, and pay bumps. What may be the mathematically correct decision, may not always be the best choice when considering all of the other factors. Maybe you've been playing for four hours and don't want to give someone the chance to get lucky on you two spots in front of the money bubble.

So you have to consider whether the advice you're receiving is coming from a tournament player or a cash game player and what type of game you're going to attempt to apply it to. And while there are times when I flat out disagree with an another member's opinion, it has never even occurred to me that they might be attempting to intentionally mislead anyone. And if there were someone out there doing that, the overwhelming majority of players are attempting to provide solid advice. In which case that would be like standing in the aisle at the store looking at all the available products before buying the wrong bullshit, then blaming the store for selling it because you believed what was on the label.

Last edited:
M

mugge47

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is nothing new for me to say some dumb ass shit that don't make sense. And I'm sure there are many others that have no problem with agreeing with. And when it happens my mouth taste like a shoe, which is mine. I've always said that when I say something out of line, without a reason, harmful at times, mean, without care, seen as plum nasty, clearly seen without any thoughts before being said, and there are plenty more I could dig up and add. But I'm sure you all get the pic I'm painting of myself and of the things I hate to have inside, because I consider myself as a good person who is quick to help, willing give my last, a person that can't turn his back on anyone, but it all looks like a bunch of ego building lies. and causes me to feel like I'm an inch tall, full of shit and ashamed of myself when I think of how many believe all those. So if it helps or not, mugge47 I'm sorry for anything I said that caused you to say the same things I would have, and many more, If any of my words caused you to have any negative thoughts toward CC at all, please tell me what those are or were, and I will take it from there. Well I could say sorry sorry sorry and many more but I've said that I believe saying SORRY is no where close to the words needed to make a person except and forgive me.so all the words above are for you only mugge47 and to make my saying I'M SORRY believable and excepted as coming from my heart. and as always, sorry it's so long, Lastly, my shoe taste like any nasty thing I can think of. and to make it worse, it's not easy to get out alone, so it may be in there long enough. Sorry I can't go on. GL AND THE END

Thanks! :)

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course experience is the main thing.
BUT advice from experienced players is also needed.
In them you can a lot to understand and prevent not fixable.
N ov still, the mistakes will be...

and1tiger

and1tiger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are so steep, that can not be elected.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the internet. Everyone can post their opinion and it matters not if they even have a clue what they are talking about. Just because you read something on the internet that does not mean it is gospel. Cards Chat is open to players of all skill levels so I would expect advice to cover the spec-tram. I don't think anyone on here posts any misleading information, more or less they are posting their best understanding of the situation to them.:D:D

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uh oh I have been taking your words as gospel glad I saw this LOL

Seriously though you have a quality perspective so you got me hook line and sink on the posts I have read from you John

:) I appreciate the kind words, but don't listen to anyone, including me. I try my best to explain the WHY's, and I don't need to say this but... just always make sure you're questioning and pushing for understanding. I only say that because I've coached a lot of people over the years, and I can't tell you how many people would do some play, and then I'd ask why, and they'd say, "well, so and so did it in this video from x training site." <- palm to forehead.

There's a lot of bad advice out there, so you just need to be judicious and inquisitive in your learning process.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most all of us overrate our skill level, so most often you are getting well intentioned advice that the advisor believes to be good advice. Best to remember that most free advice isn't worth what you payed for it.
^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much this.^

I actually think most people in this forum do not try to give bad advice on purpose. There is a very large number of members here who do a very counter productive thing. They sincerely try to help. It is not good to help your opponent, but in a community, people pull together.

So, no, I dont believe in the conspiracy.

But Kenzie's point is quite possibly very true.

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure if I am allowed to do this and if I am not I will ask a moderator to warn me about it but I will post a link to a poker site which can show your poker IQ from 50 hands. https://www.testyourpoker.com If your score is below 110 then you would be in most cases a losing player. Then try the same with a different email(yes the sait requres a unique mail) but try to include the advises that seem bad to you. If you gain some points over your previous score than these advises are not so bad. I started taking advises from pokersites which sounded ridiculous to me but I gave them a try. My score was 105 before them, after applying them I got 118. Yet I am not a poker genius but considering the most of the players online are fishes with an average poker IQ<=100 I am able to make some decent profit. I will share my pokersites I use to improve my game but only if a moderator gives me permission to do so. And of course one of them is cardschat.