Conscience in poker?

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I so empathize with you I would probably had a problem with my conscious too they say you cant let ur feelings get in the way but we are after all down to the very basic human beings filled with all sorts of emotions both good and bad and with a conscious so how could that not affect you at least a little. Just dont go to hard on yourself because it is at the end of the day just a game and she will live to lay again another day. Pe@ce.

J

jolietdusty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no way I would ever feel guilty of taking someones money at the poker table. Ihave never seen anyone misread cards live but I am sure I would get over it. Online however while multi tabling different games (NLHE and O8) I have forgot in the O8 game that I needed to play 2 cards from my hand and saw four suited in the community cards with me holding the ace and instinctly called only to lose and have to go to hand history to find out why before it dawned on me my mistake.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not ur fault...
omg thers so many old ladie that have no exitment exept gambling!!!omg my great granny 90 she so ANNOYING!!!!!
she wanna go to gamble all the time..she only playes slots though.
anyway..forget about her dood!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Reminds me of my mom calling me down with J10s - hitting nothing - just to (quote) "keep you honest".

G

gogetter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I agree with you about feeling badly.

She made a mistake. That's the way it goes however the biggest mistake she made was calling your preflop raise with 3-5?

Have a nice day, you did nothing wrong poker wise!

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta agree with the general group - I know it's hard when you've got someone who pulls the heartstrings, but the game is separate from the human component. You can have compassion as a human, but you've gotta play poker as a poker player. Think about all the pros who are good friends with each other but who play cutthroat to win at the table.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I began playing live tournament poker at the pool hall with a group that was dominantly elderly (60 and older).. I have built an immunity to go soft on them. They will take you for all you are worth!! :D

Seriously though, do not feel bad! This reminds me what my trainer told me after I lost my first fight. In my first MMA fight, I ended up losing in the 2nd round by a choke. I hardly threw a punch throughout the whole fight, and relied on my throws and takedowns, and went for submissions. At one point in the fight, I had my opponent in a full mount and could have ended it at the end of the 1st by pummelling my opponent for a TKO. I hesistated, because I would have felt bad for actually hurting him.

After the fight, my trainer gave me some tips, told me what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong, but most importantly, what he said was, "Don't worry about hurting your opponent. You both know what you're getting into, and he didn't hesistate to hit you, did he?"

What I'm trying to say is, 70 or not, that lady knew what she was getting into by sitting down at the table and risking her money. She would have done the same thing to you if she got the chance.

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's better she lost the money at the poker table then in those worthless money sucking slot machines you see retirees playing all the time. At least in poker even a bad player wins some times.

L

losts0ul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand how you feel, I think its something that a poker player have overcome to be a better player overall. I doubt she will feel bad if she took that $800 pot. In poker you only look out for one person and that's yourself.

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, i guess i should be more ruthless, like a robot. funny how poker can invoke different emotions that u never knew u would experience playing it.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was the granddaughter hawt?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He wasn't trying to do you any favors. He was trying to act strong hoping that you would take that as a bluff (when weak, act strong routine) but he was playing mind games with you.

I know that happens all the time, but I believe the guy was sincere in this case.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I wish someone would feel sorry for me every time I get to drunk to play cards nemore,"like tonight for instance".
:p:p:p
Gotta call it quits now.....
lol....

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^no dude, transfer me some bucks, and we'll play high stakes drunk as hell. i'll give it back to you right after (sarcasm, don't interpret it as breaking the rules of begging for money)

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I LOL'd at the image hehe, what does that say about me as a person?

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
She sat down with $400(half that pot was hers) and played a crap hand. Either someone needs to take over her money or she's got it to blow. I can see why you'd feel bad but she sat down like anyone else. Good job.

W

waldorood

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
She called your raise with 53. She didn't know how to play so her money was gone anyway. If not to you in this hand, then to others at the table a few hands later. Why feel bad taking money that was gone anyway?

OR

She called with 53. She DID know how to play and was a donkey. She misread her straight on the turn and let you bet out instead of raising. She was happy to take your money after donking into the nuts. Why feel bad taking money from a donkey?

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not wrong to feel bad. That just means you are a good person. Plays shouldn't get emotional or personal, so even those that don't feel bad aren't necessarily bad people... except maybe in this scenario, because you made a lot of money that was dependent on her reading the board wrong, so I think everyone would feel bad. However, she's an old lady, and if she didn't have the money to burn in the first place, she wouldn't be playing poker. Age,sex,location,etc doesn't matter on the table, so yes, I'd feel bad too, but I'd get over it pretty fast. If you don't, that's what the drinks are for :)

E

elbandiddo32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is ah ard thing but she was trying to take ur money and would she feel sorry for u if she had taken ur money. Any player can make that mistake of misreading their hand but it's poker and we take people's money everyday without thinking twice about it because we play online. Live is different but ur still losing money. I was playing in Vegas against an old lady who raised preflop and I hit a straight. She became a check raising station until the river where we were finally all in. She had flopped trips and hit aboat on the river.Do u think she felt sorry for me?nope

D

DC2128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have given her $100 back and told her to get some new glasses. :D

I play in a 30 person club that my mom decided to join. She's 71 and I'll take her chips every week if I can but I'll tell you she would do the same and laugh at me afterwards. She'd be bragging about it for a week.

Just assume the woman had the money to burn and let it go. You might have even saved her some in the long run.

A

andreashann

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
She's a grown up, isn't she? But if that makes you feel bad, next time don't do it again. :)

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more i think about it...this is exactly the type of person you should victimize at the poker table every chance you get. there's no way they'll pull a gun on you...no chance they'll be "waiting outside for you" or have a bunch of goons waiting to rob you either...this is who you want to isolate and destroy

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
the more i think about it...this is exactly the type of person you should victimize at the poker table every chance you get. there's no way they'll pull a gun on you...no chance they'll be "waiting outside for you" or have a bunch of goons waiting to rob you either...this is who you want to isolate and destroy

Don't underestimate little old ladies.. they'll attack when you least expect it.