Checking back the nuts on river

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I do not understand is why anyone would check the nuts in last position. There is no downside to betting...either a player may give you more chips, or you get everyone to fold, thereby not having to show your cards. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.
Thanks.

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its collusion pure and simple. There is no one that would check the nuts on the river. I have seen it happen once, but the guy was new to the game and didn't recognize he had the nuts.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In online it's fine as long as you know the other guy will bet, however in live in some tournaments like the wsop you can be penalized for it

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I do not understand is why anyone would check the nuts in last position. There is no downside to betting...either a player may give you more chips, or you get everyone to fold, thereby not having to show your cards. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.
Thanks.

Board misreads do occur. Someone who's drawing at a straight might do this if they happen to back door the flush they weren't trying to make, and all they see is a missed straight.

You'd also check back the nuts in Omaha-8 if you had the A2 in your hand and were likely to get quartered by another low hand.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Board misreads do occur. Someone who's drawing at a straight might do this if they happen to back door the flush they weren't trying to make, and all they see is a missed straight.

You'd also check back the nuts in Omaha-8 if you had the A2 in your hand and were likely to get quartered by another low hand.

This, or you just like the beautifull lady and check back the nuts and date her after :D It is probably made so you can't save someone chips. But often the person getting punished misread his hand.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'm pretty sure split pot games are treated differently - if you only had the nut low you shouldn't be penalised. If you had the nut high and low though, then I think you're obliged to bet.

P

pleasebluffme69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
had no idea this was a rule nor needed to be. in collusion wouldn't first to act just fold to the nuts after he bets river anyway?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
had no idea this was a rule nor needed to be. in collusion wouldn't first to act just fold to the nuts after he bets river anyway?

It's to prevent a few things - collusion is one of them, but soft play is another.

More to the point though, I still don't see why anyone would have a problem wit the rule. There isn't a single valid reason for checking the nuts in last position on the river, and TDs have the latitude not to penalise players when they believe it's a new or casual player making a genuine mistake.

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because the porpous of playing is to have all the chips, if you have the nuts and dont try to take more chips you can get a penalty

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who checks the nuts and last to act is a big no no.. But 2nd before last is okay, induce a bet if he has anything re-raise get paided off 90% of the time.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it allowed to just call the river bet and not raise with the nuts when you are last to act?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Broadly speaking I believe it would fall under Rule 64: Ethical Play with states that "soft play will result in penalties".

It doesn't specify in the rule what does and doesn't constitute "soft play", but I'd think not attempting to get more money out of your opponent when you're holding the nuts would be a textbook example...

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK yeah that rule would be broad enough to cover it.

64: Ethical Play
Poker is an individual game. Soft play will result in penalties, which may include chip forfeiture and/or disqualification. Chip dumping and other forms of collusion will result in disqualification.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I randomly check "my nuts"
Doctors orders.

B

BPEPFPDP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woah i didn't knew that, so weird why he check back, or he was not sure on his hand?

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that no one would give check with the nuts on the river. I do not think well you identify the nuts on the river and make a minimum bet or very aggressive in his opponent by bluff, because if it has the nuts it will come back to you for sure. If you conhecero your opponent the best thing to do is to check and see if the size of his bet is a bluff or value of the nuts if he bets.

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never heard of this rule, good to know it, but i dont think they punish it in online poker, i might have done that and never be punished...well as far as i can tell..