Check/raised preflop...????

l Love Beer

l Love Beer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25NL, can't find HH, and don't really feel like searching, but there's 1 limper and a shortstacker that posted out of turn in the CO. I'm on the button and pot it w/ 67s, it folds around to CO who shoves...? I was so confused. After i folded he said "AQ :)" and once again i was so surprised that i didn't know what to do.

The most shocking thing is that this exact same scenario played out about a week ago. Never thought i'd run into someone else who enjoys check/raising preflop, but appearantly people love that move so much that they'll practice it any opportuniy that they can. Sorry for the rant, i'm just so confused....:confused:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's happened to me once before where someone posted, then checked, then shoved over my raise, they showed jacks after the folded. I think when someone does do it, they generally have 8's-J's a,q or a,k

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
happend to me recently and i had AA to bad the vilian had AA as well :(

E

E-Dub

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "limp-reraise" is a pretty common re-steal move actaully. I think it works well against someone who raises it up from the button over and over just to steal. The problem with trying the limp-reraise is that it gives the button and blinds the chance to see a cheap flop if the button decides to just limp. And when that happens, the button still has the huge advantage of having position on everyone post-flop.

So I think to do it you need to be pretty strong and have a good read on the players behind you.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, re read op E-dub then post again :p

E

E-Dub

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, re read op E-dub then post again :p

Sorry if you thought I was just rehashing what you said. Wasn't trying to - just wanted to add a little, or maybe sound like I know what I'm doing. :)

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure why he said that E-dub. Your analysis from villains point of view was fine. Maybe he means it was a post/check not an actual limp, but its essentially the same.

Last edited:
S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its nothing bad, its just you were talking about the limp-reraise, and made a nice little post on it to be fair, but the thread was on about when people sit down and post the big blind out of position, then check-reraise.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be incredibly lucky to hit a hand after posting the blind out of position that you can check re-raise with.

It is a very similar move to one we have all seen, the UTG limp, someone else raises and UTG re-raises or shoves.

willie beaman

willie beaman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a great strategic move if you are on the short stack or just want chips in the pot preflop. You do have to have a read on your table to pull this one off though.

J

jagsxxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a lil guilty of reraise after just calling the blind.I try to slow play (and true sometimes it back fires) but when i think someone has a pretty good hand per they raised i do try to shove them out of the hand.

W

wirless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe i am just really confused but i fail completely to understand the point of this thread....if i understand the sequence correctly, it is

a.) shortstack'er (the villian) , either sits down initially for his first deal or returns from presumably a bathroom break where he just finished reading Harrington on Cash game on the pottie and post out of turn in the CO position,

b.) hole cards get dealt out, one limper limps in from early to middle position, it is folded around to the villian, who diligently checks figuring his CO position is good enough to play the "AQ" profitable without any need to get hostile preflop, afterall he figures the early limper could easily have "AQ" crushed and would just love a raise, hence he checks his options and waits,

c.) our HERO (who is cursed by the gods to have to suffer a shortstack'er at his cash table) applies that wonderful "imagination" that is so apparent in the play of the weakie, decides that it makes little sense to take a cheapie flop with the 76s, a hand perfectly fitted to post-flop play. where dreams flops like the A 7 6 would absolutely bust any AQ or AK or even Ax at the low limits, while the A Q 7 flop would never bust a strong (versus weakie) player holding the 76ss unless of course the 76 ss ==> matches AQ ss, i.e. one pair with a flush and possible 2-pair draw...

but ohhhhhhh nooooooooo it is best to pot preflop with the 76ss because the idea is to steal the extremely puny 10cent plus 25cents times 3 (BB plus 2 limpers) thats out there for a whooping grand total profit of 85 cents or thereabouts...yeah thats why we play 76ss, just to win 85 cents in a 2500 cents NL game (assuming every one is sufficiently stacked)...yeah ok that is the point of 76 for sure

d.) Conclusion, I honestly believe that a well trained monkey would play your bankroll better...

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a) Ever heard of a position raise??

d) Enough said

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c.) our HERO (who is cursed by the gods to have to suffer a shortstack'er at his cash table) applies that wonderful "imagination" that is so apparent in the play of the weakie, decides that it makes little sense to take a cheapie flop with the 76s, a hand perfectly fitted to post-flop play. where dreams flops like the A 7 6 would absolutely bust any AQ or AK or even Ax at the low limits, while the A Q 7 flop would never bust a strong (versus weakie) player holding the 76ss unless of course the 76 ss ==> matches AQ ss, i.e. one pair with a flush and possible 2-pair draw...

but ohhhhhhh nooooooooo it is best to pot preflop with the 76ss because the idea is to steal the extremely puny 10cent plus 25cents times 3 (BB plus 2 limpers) thats out there for a whooping grand total profit of 85 cents or thereabouts...yeah thats why we play 76ss, just to win 85 cents in a 2500 cents NL game (assuming every one is sufficiently stacked)...yeah ok that is the point of 76 for sure

d.) Conclusion, I honestly believe that a well trained monkey would play your bankroll better...

lol, well if you don't do this, your opponents can always assume a raise means strength and then raises get no action. Also no good player will give you a stack in an unraised pot with just top pair without other metagame stuff.

W

wirless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With all due respect we are talking about a 25NL not 5000NL...low limit versus high limit...it would be a mistake to think a majority of your opponents at low limts even know what metagame means let alone process it during play...they play there cards thats all

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

WTF are you on about, raising suited connectors in position is standard play...how about not insulting members in your first 5 posts?

Last edited:
l Love Beer

l Love Beer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe i am just really confused but i fail completely to understand the point of this thread....if i understand the sequence correctly, it is

a.) shortstack'er (the villian) , either sits down initially for his first deal or returns from presumably a bathroom break where he just finished reading Harrington on Cash game on the pottie and post out of turn in the CO position,

b.) hole cards get dealt out, one limper limps in from early to middle position, it is folded around to the villian, who diligently checks figuring his CO position is good enough to play the "AQ" profitable without any need to get hostile preflop, afterall he figures the early limper could easily have "AQ" crushed and would just love a raise, hence he checks his options and waits,

A. Don't be a dick to someone you don't know.

B. i was isolating the limper w/ 50/6/1 stats and fold to c-bet of 75%

C. Maybe you should be sitting on the toilet and reading HOH: cash games.

D. I raise ATC on button when someone has posted out of turn. (unless previously raised or many limpers of course)

E. Depends on how well trained that monkey is that you're referring to.

E

E-Dub

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its nothing bad, its just you were talking about the limp-reraise, and made a nice little post on it to be fair, but the thread was on about when people sit down and post the big blind out of position, then check-reraise.

Ah, now it all makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.