Check it down or not??

three3y3

three3y3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not even going to read the article nor what anyone has to say ....cuz I already know how I feel about this and I feel anyone in a tourney serious about poker should feel the same way and that is in this situation only bet if your hand is strong if you have the nuts and in most cases youd want to check down and bet the river if you have the best hand other wise check it down and have the all in player face a slimmer chance of staying in....i dont know how many times some bafoon who bluffs too dam much bets some huge amount on the flopp in this situation with absolutely nothing ..not only showing the table what a full OF SH*& player they are but allows the all in to get chips and remain in the game while someone would have made the best hand come the turn or river ...like really what is the point you bluff get no callers no chips and you just made one player healthy whereas there would be one less player in the field and you lose no more or less chips if you haddnt bluffed ...if theres action in the side pot chances are the all in is beat anyway

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im not even going to read the article nor what anyone has to say ....

Then why bother replying?!?

Seriously, read my first response to this thread then we'll talk. If you can't acknowledge that there are some situations where it's in your best interests to go against the dogma then you haven't thought hard enough about it IMO.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive got no problem with people betting into an empty side pot as long as they have a halfway decent hand, but it annoys me when someone bets into an empty sidepot, it is just pointless and you gain nothing out of it

Other than it annoyed you and may affect the way you play against said donk.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's another reason not to check it down. What if I'm confident, I'm ahead of original raisers range and will win the pot but the other guy might catch a card to win the pot instead of me.

Eg. I have AKs - I put raiser on A-rag and other guy has KQ. Flop is T-4-2, you better believe I'm betting that flop to get rid of luck box #2 or maybe to get more chips from him.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't really ever see a good reason to check it down. I would much rather the short stack get the chips over my closest competetor. The only time I see a good reason to check it down is if I'm behind and have outs. The only other good reason is that the payout is flat or it's a sattellite.

three3y3

three3y3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then why bother replying?!?

Seriously, read my first response to this thread then we'll talk. If you can't acknowledge that there are some situations where it's in your best interests to go against the dogma then you haven't thought hard enough about it IMO.
brother i think your taking way too much offense to my opening statement because theres only one way to look at this situation and its with the few senarios i stated...simple.... dont got a hand check it down ...have a hand play it out bet check to the river then bet whatever....but the main fowl wich is mostly frowned upon is betting with air pushing a player off that wouldve caught the turn or river knocking out the all in...i personaly hate people who do this it makes me sick...and i know im not the onbly one who feels this way

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
brother i think your taking way too much offense to my opening statement because theres only one way to look at this situation and its with the few senarios i stated...simple.... dont got a hand check it down ...have a hand play it out bet check to the river then bet whatever....but the main fowl wich is mostly frowned upon is betting with air pushing a player off that wouldve caught the turn or river knocking out the all in...i personaly hate people who do this it makes me sick...and i know im not the onbly one who feels this way

...so you still haven't thought about it or read any of the other opinions then :p

I know you're not the only one who feels this way, BTW - that's the point.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do agree with the strategy described. Eliminating the small stacks in tournament poker is the overall objective in the game. Check all the down until you have the absolute NUTS. Only then do I find it appropriate to value bet your hand.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A player got short stacked in the SnG I was playing today on the bubble, he moved all in with his last 800 and I called with AJo, then the idiot bigstack moves all in with pocket 66 and forces me to fold. The flop had two jacks and the river was the ace. I called him out on it and revealed that I had had at least the jack, the short stack had shoved all in on KTo and caught a king. I still had a stack though which is why I folded I knew I could stay in it and play well, and I survived into the money.

Checking it down may seem wrong to some, but if someone tried to check me down, I would accept it. Its not wrong that the players realize that knocking me out will make them more money.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See it from the villain's perspective though - he's got a chance to either knock two players out and win a massive pot if you call and his hand holds up or, more likely, he gets to flip against the short stack with dead money in the pot and if they double up meh, they're still the short stack.

Obviously you don't like the play but that doesn't make it "bad".