Chances of getting the exact same hand?

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you concider how many hands are delt every minute it is likely to happen more regular than you think, we just dont notice it often

The amount of hands dealt is completely irrelevant to how regularly this happens.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha i guess thats true, if in the middle of the first hand, you're thinking, "what's the probability of getting the exact same hand in the same order?" it would be 0.0377%

I guess my calculation would be as you were logging on to the computer you ask "What's the probability that I will get a 6 of hearts and 6 of diamonds in the same order in the first 2 hands?"

Except that you shouldn't EVER care about the order because that's totally irrelevant in poker but I guess it's fun to look at for kicks and giggles?

If you don't care about the order, but want the same suits, you multiply the above number by 2. It gets more complicated if you don't care about suits, and even more complicated if you don't care about suits and it's not a paired hand. Basically the problem mathematically is in the ambiguity of the question. You just need a more clearly-defined situation.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the 0.0377% answer is correct... there are 51*52=2652 different starting hands (including suits and order) and all have the same chance of appearing, 1/2652 = 0.0377%.

At the first table you're simply going to get one, it doesn't matter which. At the second table there's 0.0377% chance to get a specific hand, e.g. the same one as the first table.

This.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The amount of hands dealt is completely irrelevant to how regularly this happens.

Actually, it depends how you think about it. In the limit that one table is taking forever to play, you will assuredly be dealt the same hand on the other table.

I don't think that's what the original question was asking, but maybe that's what the comment was about.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, it depends how you think about it. In the limit that one table is taking forever to play, you will assuredly be dealt the same hand on the other table.

I don't think that's what the original question was asking, but maybe that's what the comment was about.

Lol. Let's keep it in the realm of probability/statistics -> limits/calculus might be taking this question a bit far ;)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get the exact same hand all the time.

(Masturbation, FTW)

Newlyweds may not get it....

but...

someday...