CC 101 - My 101st post. A letter to the noobs.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen alot of 1000th/5000th posts articles on here and theyre usually really good. So i decided to do a 101st post as a letter to all the noobs here as I am still one myself.

I've never been a part of a forum before. Didnt know what to expect when i came here. Originally I came to learn more about the game of poker, had a decent grasp of the game but didnt realize how little I knew or how far you can take poker strategy till I came here. So while googling "poker strategy" I came across this forum. Started to read a lot and decided to become a member as there were parts of the forum you couldnt access till you became a member. What i have found is...

There are a lot of real intelligent, experienced people here with really good advice. There are a lot great articles in the "golden archives" that are well written and very thought out. There is a very cool "hand analysis" section where you can feedback on how you played a hand or should have played a hand.

List of Do's and Don'ts.

Dos

Do read the Rules & FAQs and the stickies. They help you figure out posting guidelines and poker lingo and abbreviations. This is a good one.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/hand-analysis-lingo-other-poker-terms-80492/

Do read all the golden archives. Lots of real good info there. Then when your done reread them and then do it again.

Do read the whole thread before puttin your .02 in. That way you wont be repeating what someone has already wrote.

Do use the search function. It can help you find the info your looking for.

Don"ts

Don't be offended when someone seems to be a little harsh or short with you. Most of the time its just a miscommunication between you and your computer screen. This especially goes for when you post in the HA(hand analysis) section. The thing is you're puttin yourself on the choping block and you have to be able to handle criticism.

Don't bring an attitude. Ive seen a few people banned here in the short 3 months Ive been a member. It can and does happen. So just be cool.

Don't spam. One liners that dont add to a thread just take up space, its annoying. This also goes for bumpin old threads that are years old.

Don't be a freeroll whore. This one is self explanatory.

So thank you CC for all the help so far. I am hooked on this place. I check it out every day and can usually count on it for a laugh or two. ie. the "is online poker rigged" thread.

feel free to add to the list all you old schoolers.

NicolasWSOP

NicolasWSOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post!

Thanks for posting this. I'm still new here myself, so I'm still learning the ropes, and this thread really helps me out.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As an "old timer" here, I'd say thebrank is right on the money with his advice:)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post brank and glad you are enjoying the forum!

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very nice post,,,, glad you like it here,,,, buck:cool:

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1. Now I'll have to think of a different topic for my future 101st post.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice post Brank. I am glad you enjoy this forum and you are a great addition to it.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice post Brank. I am glad you enjoy this forum and you are a great addition to it.

^^this^^

Good to have you here - you seem to be picking up fast.

GL on your further yourneys.

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you for the insight thebrank i will deffinitly keep this in mind, and i think i need to brush up on my pokerlingo so i will deffinitly check your link out

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for that, very helpful, myself still being rather new. I would like to add this:

If people try to start a fight with you, just ignore them. They'll get over it.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well said! Thank You for putting up these valuable reminders! I hope everyone reads it!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nice post!! Glad you're getting lots out of the forum (I'm sure you've been giving back as well.... I've read some of your posts, ie. posting HH question << good stuff!).

I'd like to add something for newer players, seeking advice (especially on HH questions/posts)... "Don't" always take advice of member's commments (including this comment here, LOL), even if the majority are in disagreement with something you believe to be correct with how a hand was played. "Do" consider the source. (although most comments can be interpretted as good regardless of whether they are 'right' or 'wrong' imo.... as they are almost all 'food for thought' & even if it's at the least they help one to understand.. >> "how the #!@## did they call/raise with that?").

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do read the whole thread before puttin your .02 in. That way you wont be repeating what someone has already wrote.

Nice post and I agree with everything with the small exception of the above when it pertains to HA posts. I think it's often better for people to give their own opinions when it comes to HA without being swayed by someone else's post. I mean you might read a HH and think I would raise and then 3 posts later ChuckTs or FPaulsson posts that they would never raise in that spot and before you type your opinion you've changed your mind. This isn't good for a couple of reasons 1) you're not learning to express your own thoughts on a hand which make learning new things much easier and 2) others might have thought the same as you and they'll gain their own valuable knowledge when you get shot down (or hell who knows maybe you get ChuckTs or FP to look at it differently and switch to your way of thinking).

Again though with that small caveat, I think you're heading in the right direction sir. Nice to have you around.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:icon_thum This is a fabulous post/thread thebrank...so fabulous I reference it in intro threads whenever I'm acknowledging a new CC member. I've been waiting for the 30-day moratorium to expire so it could be nominated for Golden Archives but I guess since I keep linking it :rolleyes:, this thread will remain current with on-going posts...

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice. I will try to follow it, but the part about not repeating is impossible - take all the people who responded similarly to your post for example.

P

PokaKing99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

I've seen alot of 1000th/5000th posts articles on here and theyre usually really good. So i decided to do a 101st post as a letter to all the noobs here as I am still one myself.

Thanks for that emphasis on obeying the rules....how many times did you disobey them until you realized there were rules?

2nd post lol
Woohoo!

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post

[x] didnt actually read the post
[x] my first check box

WVH actually brings up a good point. To promote discussion it might be good to not read what others have posted in the HA section. LOL at ChuckTs or FP switching to my way of thinking though. Maybe one day...

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post, glad you're a part of this forum. GL on the felt.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said:) ! What a uplifting post!

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also you might want to add is when you are a newbie. Make sure you dont say just Happy birthday to someone, because it looks like you a just trying to up your post count and therfor get 20+ posts taken away. Lol yeah its happened to me.