CardsChat Poker Chip (Laser Cut)

Have Blue, Red, Yellow and Green acrylic. What 2 colors for edge marks work best?

• Blue & Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red & Yellow

• Green & Red

• Green & Yellow

• I'll ship you some better colors

• Fluorescent acrylic dude, shipping you some tomorrow

• Total voters
daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else do anything like this? Curious if it's just me.

Alpha's post got me thinking, and as I have access to a laser cutter, figured why not? My engineer brain loves how precise it is, so it's exactly 39mm. Can't tell from this pic, but not only the edge marks are acrylic, the 100 is also, it's red. Just 3mm birch plywood, so light as hell, it would bug me to actually play with chips like these, but maybe could use it as a card protector.

First draft one had the suits themselves cutout in acrylic (Blue diamonds, Green clubs, Red hearts and Yellow spades as was only color acrylic i had left) but wow, so fcuking tiny.... Was a real pain in the azz to get them inserted and I never did glue it up to keep em in for good, but laser is *that* precise, at least they all fit perfectly. Also, i modeled it after a paulson tophat and cane 100 chip, so the edge marks were all different like the chip. I did NOT do that on the 2nd draft! The edge marks are so small, I couldn't tell which one went where easily and took many, many, many tries to jigsaw it together properly. These are 4 copies of the same edges, so muuuuuuch easier to place.

No other reason to post it, other than this is the only place where one or two people might appreciate it. My kids were singularly unimpressed and my wife just gave me a look like "wtf did you just spend time making?"...

Chip2nd-Draft.jpg

Last edited:
mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Looks good. Looks like a ton of work.

Can your laser do metal? It would make a better (heavier) card capper.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can your laser do metal? It would make a better (heavier) card capper.
Unfortunately no, just a Epilog 40w. Not a fiber laser, so no metal at all. Only thing I can do with metal on it is if I have a metal "blank" of some shape, paint it, can engrave the paint. Can do cool stuff with multiple layers of paint, but still only can engrave the coatings.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was the first draft one by the way. Real pain getting the suit's into those tiny, tiny little holes, hence the second draft omitting them...

CC-Chip100-1st-Draft.jpg

Not glued up, so can see the gaps where it wasn't a tight (or too tight) fit on the acrylic edge marks that were different on each quarter. Won't make that mistake again

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Local club wanted some, but "Don't care what colors, you pick" so figured i'd ask here. If you were using them for card protectors, what colors work best for you?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Very nice looking chip I have to say. I'm tempted to add that the colors might not even matter.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nicely done. Very creative. Colours are very important to about 8-10% of your male audience. A much smaller percent for the female audience. The reason - that percent of males have some degree of colour-blindness / colour deficiency. I am one of them and have consulted many organizations regarding their colour schemes for everything from software to web site design, to hard copy. No - I cannot tell them what colours work, I can only look at the colours they have chosen and tell them that I have trouble seeing what I am supposed to see. If 8 out of every 100 guys have that issue, marketing people are missing a large chunk of their audience.
Depending on the light in the room, many of us colour blind players will have difficulty telling the difference between red, green, and blue chips.
I play in a small home game and 2 of us out of 8 are colourblind.
So - choose your colours carefully. Blue and Yellow are a good choice, because they are a great contrast.

018smitty

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice job on the chip, it looks very nice.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the light in the room, many of us colour blind players will have difficulty telling the difference between red, green, and blue poker chips.
I play in a small home game and 2 of us out of 8 are colourblind.
So - choose your colours carefully. Blue and Yellow are a good choice, because they are a great contrast.

Interesting, hadn't even thought of that. May go with the blue and yellow unless anyone else has other ideas?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Interesting, hadn't even thought of that. May go with the blue and yellow unless anyone else has other ideas?
People without colour deficiencies don't think of it. Why would they? Same as me not thinking about other people's handicaps.
Righthanded people don't think about the issues lefties have with common items like scissors.

There are lots of web sites to assist with colour choices.
For example:
https://www.usability.gov/get-involved/blog/2010/02/color-blindness.html

https://venngage.com/blog/color-blind-friendly-palette/

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Does anyone else do anything like this? Curious if it's just me.

Alpha's post got me thinking, and as I have access to a laser cutter, figured why not? My engineer brain loves how precise it is, so it's exactly 39mm. Can't tell from this pic, but not only the edge marks are acrylic, the 100 is also, it's red. Just 3mm birch plywood, so light as hell, it would bug me to actually play with chips like these, but maybe could use it as a card protector.

First draft one had the suits themselves cutout in acrylic (Blue diamonds, Green clubs, Red hearts and Yellow spades as was only color acrylic i had left) but wow, so fcuking tiny.... Was a real pain in the azz to get them inserted and I never did glue it up to keep em in for good, but laser is *that* precise, at least they all fit perfectly. Also, i modeled it after a paulson tophat and cane 100 chip, so the edge marks were all different like the chip. I did NOT do that on the 2nd draft! The edge marks are so small, I couldn't tell which one went where easily and took many, many, many tries to jigsaw it together properly. These are 4 copies of the same edges, so muuuuuuch easier to place.

No other reason to post it, other than this is the only place where one or two people might appreciate it. My kids were singularly unimpressed and my wife just gave me a look like "wtf did you just spend time making?"...

Chip2nd-Draft.jpg

Kevin, those chips are awesome!!

Maybe CC could do a freeroll where some lucky CC'er wins one of your laser chips, that's what I'm calling them, cos it sounds cool!!

I like the blue and yellow too. The one with all the colours is a bit busy anyway, so better without all the suits in colour I reckon. :)