Calculating a percentage - win + tie or just win %?

U

ukn742

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I have been maintaining an old program of mine that ranks starting hands (yeah, I know, the information is available online, but I want to extend this program to do more in the future, and also, many sites differ in their precision and sometimes the difference is quite big). I calculate it by running every combination, so say I start with AK, I would run every opponent hands against every possible 5 community cards (took about a week on my Dual Core CPU, a few years ago).
My question is how do I present this information - I am a fairly inexperienced poker player and I want to know if I say, hand A has 56% of winning every other hand outright, do I also add the "tie" percentage?

I mean, in a multiway pot, a tie might be between only 2 people, so the money of the remaining players is shared, so this suggests to me that perhaps percentages should be displayed as % of winning = win+tie. Am I wrong? I read a few sites and I think this might have something to do with "equity". Can someone explain ? :)

Thanks, ukn742