Building a BR - 6max vs. FR (9 players) .what do you recommand?

A

alophind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi again .
I always play 6max online , but when I play live poker with friends we are 9 people around the table , and when I play with patience , I usually manage to get home with profit.
When I play online 6max , I've noticed its more difficult to earn money and the blinds come pretty fast to you (I played 50nl with 50$ BR and came to the table with 20$ , now I understand it was a mistake to do).

So I was wandering , what are the pros and cons playing 6max vs FR. what do you do usually ?

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a tight, solid game can usually make you a decent profit at FR. The difference with 6max is that you have to open up and be a fair bit looser than you might be a FR. The blinds come round more often, therefore being able to loosen up and steal from late positions is a must. By that I don't mean play like a maniac, you can still be solid TAG at 6max, but there are differences subtle differences.

The main differences are the hand ranges are a lot wider in 6max than at FR. You will see ppl's starting hand ranges are wider, their 3bet ranges are wider etc etc. So being able to adapt to that is something your gonna have to be able to do. Variance is widely accepted as greater in 6max than FR, so if your not great at dealing with d/swongs then FR may be better for you.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id bet that pros would do better on 6 max tables because it takes more skill for that kind of table. to my knowlage there aren't any Free rolls that 6 table on FT

thekazh

thekazh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now this simply depends on your way of playing.

Here are some +/- for these two games:

FR
+ You can wait for hands
+ Easier to fold mid-strong hands as the players are more tight
- You dont get action with your monsters as often as in SH
- It´s harder to have somekind of a read on all the players at a FR table

SH
+ You often get action with your big hands
+ You can mostly get a wuick read on a Sh table with just 4-5 opponents
- Blinds more often
- More bluffs

So to make an conclusion you could say that in FR you mostly play the cards while in SH you play the player

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id bet that pros would do better on 6 max tables because it takes more skill for that kind of table. to my knowlage there aren't any Free rolls that 6 table on FT

I don't think he meant that type of 'pros' :confused:

A

alophind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So... when one should grind cash ?
I hate to play SnG for 1-1.5 hours and then push with AK and get called by 89s and get kicked out from the tourny with 9 on the flop....