Build that BR!!

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whats the best way to build a big bankroll. is it best to play hold em, omaha hi, or razz? where is the money at, where are all the bad players? ring games? tourneys? sngs?

i just would love to know how to turn my $200 deposit on fulltilt into something monstrous

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta find the game you are best at and the style of game, I believe for everyone it is different. Probably the #1 way is good bankroll management, others will probably agree that's one of the most important. Just stick to your BRM plan and grind it out, and if you are a good profitable player, it will happen!

You will have good and bad players at probably every table, just figure out which is which. I mostly hear ring games is where you should be most profitable because it has the least variance.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just stick to good BR management and don't tilt and risk your whole roll on one table. I think sngs are a good start, while cash games are a way you can lose your roll fast.

P

pokerq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try FT's 400,000 tournament every sunday. The first time I played only cost me 6.00 to join and came in about 12 players from being placed in the money.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
$200 is 20 buyins at 10nl, so you could give that a try if you wanna play ring games, but starting at like 2nl or 5nl first and making sure you're beating those games would be better imo
if youre gonna try 10nl move down a level if u lose 5 buyins

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for which games have the best/worst players, there are a good mix of both in every game! I've been playing omaha as long as hold-em, just because when we play home games we alternate between the two so it doesn't get too 'samey'. That has been giving me an advantage recently in the low stakes omaha high games and the horse tourneys, as more people are trying omaha recently, and are still learning the basics.
My best advice would be to get more heavily into these games, particularly omaha and razz, so you not only have knowledge of how to dominate an extra game, but so it doesn't get too much grinding the same tables day in day out.
Thats essential to bankroll management. If your not enjoying yourself at the tables and at any point see it as a chore rather than fun, your going to end up tilting and dumping some cash off.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whats the best way to build a big bankroll. is it best to play hold em, omaha hi, or razz? where is the money at, where are all the bad players? ring games? tourneys? sngs?

Most of them are on this site, starting threads titled "Build that BR!!". Results-oriented poker usually turns out to be loosing poker.

Sorry to be harsh, but the very first thing you need to change is your attitude towards this game. It's not a get rich quick scheme.

Last edited:
hayes5150

hayes5150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play the double or nothing 10 or 20 dollar tables on poker stars if you cant finish top five 90% of the time then stop playing

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BelgoSuisse, its not that i have a bad attitude about the game, ive been playing poker a little over 2 years, have read books upon books, i have a good attitude.

I was jus wondering where other people think they win the most money at. b/c it varies from person to person. i enjoy playing razz omaha and hold em, i try to play each of them at some point in the day. i don't think poker is a get rich quick scheme cuz throughout my time playing i have come to realize it takes a good amount of time to "earn" money from poker

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fair enough.

Learn out to multitable NHLE cash tables. That's where most of the money is (until you reach nosebleeds where PLO is maybe bigger). And it starts to be really profitable where you reach 100nl and more. bw07507 here earns over $100/hour at 100nl. He 24-tables.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Belgo ... the most traveled path we've seen a lot of people have success with is to grind the full ring No Limit Hold'em tables. However, there is something to be said for playing 6max PLO if you have a knack for that game, but whatever it is, I suggest to specialize in 1 discipline and rock it out.

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn the $10 + 1 non-turbo STT's and you'll maximize your roll. Obviously start at the $2 or $5 level with your roll and go from there. And if you feel really confident in these games, I advise trying to qualify for the iron man challenge. Start at silver and move from there. And when your bankroll allows, play MTT's that are >20% of your abi for STT's so MTT variance never hurts you. I play a lot of $216 STT's and play the 50/50 every night and the 50-50 is essentially a freeroll.