Bring on the Russians

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont characterize one player at a table by his country. But when at a table with 3 from Russia, China, or Romania (hot spots for collusion) I am likely to get out of the line of agro fire (maniac play often occurs when 2 or more are working a table together).
Stars has now dropped cities from descriptors, which is too bad, more info the better...

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find Germans to be the most aggressive pre flop...never limp against the types of players they will punish you every time...unless your setting a nice trap w/ AA after folding a couple limps.

I consider Germans to be stubborn versus agressive. They don't like you trying to steal their blinds and once in don't like to fold.

I dont characterize one player at a table by his country. But when at a table with 3 from Russia, China, or Romania (hot spots for collusion) I am likely to get out of the line of agro fire (maniac play often occurs when 2 or more are working a table together).
Stars has now dropped cities from descriptors, which is too bad, more info the better...

Agree on both points.

However, I know at merge some romanians put United States in their country, to hide the fact they are colluding.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Charade You Are;1684259 However said:
Of course, anyone can put anything... If I wanted evy1 to fear me, I would put China or Russia in my sig... and play like a maniac... he he he

FundaMental01

FundaMental01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed this as well

The russian players will commit or bully you to fold.And alot of the times it pays off for them.I think they have found a weakness in the software.Because it seems they can run down the cards they need alot of the times.I just think as long as im ahead when were both commited then i played correct vs them and move on ☺

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is interesting...

I hope the following comments will not be misconstrued as "hard discriminating stereotypes". They're not intended to be...

I am simply interested in cultural values. The following are just my thoughts on how those values seem to come out at the table...

BY FAR, the loosest and most aggressive players I have ever encountered (live) are: young, drunk, white, American, male, NL players who have decided to play LHE for the night, for free drinks.

A close second in the LAG department: young, Asian (particularly Chinese), males. Loose, aggressive, and tricky... Not at first, they come out of the gate ABC but as they enter more pots with certain opponents they start playing more aggressive/tricky against those opponents.

The Japanese that I have played with seem to play loose/aggressive when "it's fun" to do so but aren't the type to c/r, or even value bet, you on the river. It seems cultural... Almost like it would be "unsportsmanlike" to bet the best hand on the end.

A broader generalization is that people from Asian cultures tend to have "more gamble". Males leaning towards LAG, females towards loose/passive... If this is true, it could be because gambling doesn't have the same "negative" connotations in those cultures as in some others.

Games in the "Bible Belt" tend to be more TAG (more conservative values) than say the LAG games in California...

I'd be interested in hearing how others would stereotype the typical "white American male" NL player. For me, that's a bit of a boot strap problem...

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general I think Americans are by far the most passive/stationy players.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ ridiculous generalisations ITT

+1. If I was a CC mod, most people posting in this thread would get a taste of the banhammer, either for stupidity or for racism (or both, obviously).

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1. If I was a CC mod, most people posting in this thread would get a taste of the banhammer, either for stupidity or for racism (or both, obviously).

I don't see where racism is mentioned, at all.

Last edited:
Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a cluster **** of a thread!

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ ridiculous generalisations ITT

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

--Nigel Powers

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loose player Russians like to see a flop. As long as the raises are less than 10 percent preflop they will stay in with you if they have a chance at a hand. If they hit a pair or draw they generally will raise it up to gamble on the flop for a cinch hand. Very profitable if you learn to play them right.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose player Russians like to see a flop. As long as the raises are less than 10 percent preflop they will stay in with you if they have a chance at a hand. If they hit a pair or draw they generally will raise it up to gamble on the flop for a cinch hand. Very profitable if you learn to play them right.

i'm pretty sure those aren't "loose player Russians" but actually

loose players

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
russian players i have found to be very aggressive on the flop and pre flop,, in general they play hard and fast ,,it pays 2 pay off a play early doors to get a half decent read on the player,,if u keep mukin to there bullinying they tend 2 run away with 6n handed cash tabs

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I know why eastern europeans play so aggressive. First of all poker (and especially Hold'em) are rather new around here. Just one year ago hardly anyone in Romania knew what Hold'em is, I used to play the romanian freeroll on pokerstars, it used to have about 250 players, 1 year later, after the pokerstars and fulltilt commercials hit the TV there are about 4000 players in the same freeroll. So these commercials did have a huge impact on the public and we see more and more TV shows on our channels and recently we started having our own big tournaments with qualifiers and all that.

So my point is that most of these players are new to this form of poker (as all we knew about poker before 89 was 5 card draw) plus they see all these poker shows on TV like poker after dark and of course they try and be the next durrrr or whatever they find fancy, so that's why they play all this crap.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a shame there are not web cams on all players and a full disclosure about their private lives and beliefs, cause its not just Russian, German, American, Scandinavian and so on. There is also hair color, weight, eye color, sexual preference, religion, age and so on. For example, a Scandinavian nymphomaniac lesbian is much looser than a bible belt male Baptist. And a virgin 18 year old student of Catholicism will not go all the way to the river (or at the river, for that matter) with no promise of certainty. And And that is just the tip of the iceberg...............

B

_BadaBing_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and based on fletchdad's post above mine = this tells me he is an excellent poker player love the post btw :D

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and based on fletchdad's post above mine = this tells me he is an excellent poker player love the post btw :D

images

B

_BadaBing_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yo aldito why bring religion into this

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, throw in the ban 4 racism card...I'm not agreeing with the way that people from different cultures are stereotyping each other, but its a real hoot to wake up at 4 a.m., and play an all-in or fold shovefest at an SNG table w/6 out of 9 players left.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I seem to be flowing along ad playing decent poker and along comes some player slow as crap,or just being a pain,I look to see where hes from....Romania every time.So I must say Romanians are the worst bunch to play cards with in my opinion..

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The title of this thread was "Bring on the Russians" , so why does everybody keep dissing the Romanians?

I'll make a generalisation about Russians from my own selective memory.
It seems that the Russians on FTP are more aggressive than ones that play Pokerstars. I don't know why, it just seems that way.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Where is the Racism coming from? Generalization ok but Racism?