Books that should be read

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Orifice, you have replied to several of my posts and your replies have been informative, very well thought out and helpful to boot. But let me get this straight, you are a 'freetroller(I like that)' and you find a $1850 book to be +ev. Wow, that book had to have been a very generous gift or you were really killing those freerolls. Every freeroll I check out has hundreds if not thousands of entrants and I'm lucky to find a 1st place finish that pays more than a hundred bucks. All I can say is....More power to you, my friend, because it appears that 'The Force' already is.

The Gent

The Gent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FITEMAN - the ebook is available if you look hard enough.

I do not have that sort of cash and would love to say it was worth the cash if I had, but it went over my head to start with and I have yet to go in for a second attempt :)

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Let There Be Triple Range Merge" by Maximilian Rofls
Special guest chapter written by Maximose!

In reply to OP, they may have been said but thread is tl;dr so I've read and recommend:
Sklansky's Theory of Poker
Harrington on hold 'em volume I + II
Harrington on 6-max Online Cash Games
Gordon's Little Green Book
Super System I
Sit & Go Strategy by Moshmann
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time I + II (These 2 are especially good for MTT players, and get you thinking on different levels about hands and how you play them)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Orifice, you have replied to several of my posts and your replies have been informative, very well thought out and helpful to boot. But let me get this straight, you are a 'freetroller(I like that)' and you find a $1850 book to be +ev. Wow, that book had to have been a very generous gift or you were really killing those freerolls. Every freeroll I check out has hundreds if not thousands of entrants and I'm lucky to find a 1st place finish that pays more than a hundred bucks. All I can say is....More power to you, my friend, because it appears that 'The Force' already is.
So far in 2011 - 18 cashes in Freerolls for a total of $755.90 (not your typical freerolls you find on the sites with zillions of entrants, etc.), biggest cash was for $250 (2nd).
The book was a 'gift'. I'm a poker book addict & have a HUGE collection.
I don't just play freerolls (they make up a very small percentage of what I play)... but I definitely don't like to miss the Cardschat ones. (+EV, & 'usually' some good play in them).
Name another book... I probably have it, lol.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best tournament book is Kill Everyone, imo. That's assuming you have read HOH 1/2.

I read "Let There Be Range" and I'm sure it will be useful should I ever make it to nosebleed stakes online.

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zen and the art of poker" by larry phillips , one i always reccommend

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far in 2011 - 18 cashes in Freerolls for a total of $755.90 (not your typical freerolls you find on the sites with zillions of entrants, etc.), biggest cash was for $250 (2nd).
The book was a 'gift'. I'm a poker book addict & have a HUGE collection.
I don't just play freerolls (they make up a very small percentage of what I play)... but I definitely don't like to miss the Cardschat ones. (+EV, & 'usually' some good play in them).
Name another book... I probably have it, lol.
Nice work on those freerolls. I def agree about the CC tourneys, although I haven't played the free ones, I'm gonna give 'em a try.
And in response to 'the Gent', I'm gonna try and fnd the e version, just out of curiosity.
I guess it looks like I've been Doyled.

R

Remoteplayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this posting and for the suggestions. I did Phil Gordon's, well the first few chapters. Still stuck on some of the lingo but the general concepts placed me in the top 20 in my first MTT using his basic concepts. The one I understood at least ;)

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which parts didn't you understand, I'd be happy to explain, although I''m not a huge fan of his style I remember his book being one of the easier reads. Let us know though, we're here to help.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed" is great because it takes you inside the mind of a professional poker player. He took notes while winning the Aussie Millions and turned it into a book literally revealing his thoughts on every hand he played.
:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nice work on those freerolls. I def agree about the CC tourneys, although I haven't played the free ones, I'm gonna give 'em a try.
I found that the 'free' ones were as good as the buyins (in the past, w US players, sometimes the 'freerolls' were better than the buyins imo)
I guess it looks like I've been Doyled.
The 'You've been Doyl'd' in my sig. is in reference to players losing to T2s (I've been playing T2s everytime I'm dealt it & have been trying to win pots with it regardless of what comes on the flop.... ie. 3-betting with it in pos., tryin' to rep. what I can 'for fun'... & have been saving some screenshots for lolzz)
Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed" is great because it takes you inside the mind of a professional poker player. He took notes while winning the Aussie Millions and turned it into a book literally revealing his thoughts on every hand he played.
:)
I was actually disappointed with Gus' book (probably due to high expectations I had for it) I wouldn't recommend it for a newer NLHE tournament player.

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so what are the better books for other types of poker(besides nl donkem)?gimme as big a list as you can think of and muchly appreciated

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
when you tell about the book, i move to read "Dan Harrington on Holde'm" and now i definitely agree with you, this is really awesome book. i will definitely read all volume of this book soon.
How come on my email notification for this thread, this post's ^ link says 'marutiswift' <??

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any other variant i have been playing mixed exclusively. i get any hold em fix that way but don't get bored with it strictly . to be honest i can work a table pretty well once i find what games ppl have weakness in. i know i'll end up reading any and every poker book anyway but any notable ones would be appreciated.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For mixed games try super system ans theory of poker if you are relatively new to them