Book About Basic Foundations

S

Smoluch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry, I did not write but I read "Crushing The Microstakes" about week ago.

In my opinion this is a book just for total beginners, I mean this book says "do x when y, valuebet fish, dont bluff fish"

I think thats why i was b/e at nl25 before, because then i know only " do x when y" I did not know why.
Now I want to start from the other side
So Im looking for a book that will help me to fully understand basics concepts, not a book that only tells "do x when y".

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I played at nl25, i read

Poker Blueprint
Easy Game 3rd edition (only 1 part)
Bill Vosti - How to Beat online No limit holdem 6 max
Verneer - Moving Throught uNL 2010
Ryan Fee's - 6max NL strategy guide

Plus many articles from internet

The problem was that I only fast read the books, and not learned from them.

Also, I learned from DC i have membership
If you have these books then I'd say you're pretty much set. Now just read them (not 'fast' read method). And you have a DC membership.... what else do you want? I mean it sounds as if you already have a decent selection of books & an oppurtunity to watch vids. (maybe watch a vid. series pertaining more to generalized stuff or basics - - I don't know which ones as I've never had a membership on that site but perhaps someone else could suggest some??)

Why not follow a bunch of posts of hands in HH section & post some of your own.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well suggested it because it is basic - you should read Theory of Poker then for conceptual side.
But unless you are willing to engage your brain and go beyond what's written you will continue to have a hard time. That's why so many hands are required to "get it". Sometimes years worth.

I'm sorry, I did not write but I read "Crushing The Microstakes" about week ago.

In my opinion this is a book just for total beginners, I mean this book says "do x when y, valuebet fish, dont bluff fish"

I think thats why i was b/e at nl25 before, because then i know only " do x when y" I did not know why.
Now I want to start from the other side
So Im looking for a book that will help me to fully understand basics concepts, not a book that only tells "do x when y".

S

Smoluch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx for answers.

MediaBLITZ so you recommend Theory of Poker for me? Better choice than Little Green Book?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx for answers.

MediaBLITZ so you recommend Theory of Poker for me? Better choice than Little Green Book?

I am guessing on that - but yeah. Little Green is about as basic as you can get, so if you got through Poker Blueprint you should be okay.

From Theory on Poker preface (if this reflects what you are looking for - I think so?):

This book is about the general theories and concepts of poker play, which are operative in nearly every variation of poker from five-card draw to Texas hold 'em. It is not a how-to book in the sense of providing the basic rules and a step-by-step procedure for playing the various games. Beginning poker players sometimes ask, "What do you do in this particular situation?" There is really no correct answer to that question because it's the wrong question. Rules of thumb that say to fold one hand, call with another, and raise with yet another simply won't get a poker player beyond the beginning stages.
The right question is: "What do you consider in this particular situation before determining what to do?" The Theory of Poker addresses itself to such considerations. It analyzes every aspect of a poker hand from the ante structure to play after the last card has been dealt. By explaining the logic of poker, the book will, I hope, show the reader what kinds of things to think about in order to become a better player.

I have just not read many books (and got a couple shelves full of them) that you don't have to read between the lines a little (or a lot) to get the most out of it. I got a LOT out of Harrington - but honestly that was more from reading between the lines and thinking through it - not the information itself. He, probably more than any of them, provoked me to think. Haven't come across a single book that just hands it all over on a silver platter.

Get your highlighter out - get a notebook to jot down thoughts that are provoked by your reading and you will be miles ahead. It's not so much reading as it is studying and thinking about and digesting the material.

But also + 1 to Poker Orifice

S

Smoluch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi again.

I finally decided to read Easy Game (first part) I just finished reading today,
and I'm really happy because I learned a lot.

And now i think about:

Professional No-Limit Hold'em Volume 1
by Matt Flynn, Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta
or
Small Stakes No Limit Hold'em by Matt Flynn, Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta
or
Easy Game (next part, advanced section)

Any idea? Now I close to play at NL10

baerrus

baerrus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
* How To Read Hands At No-Limit Hold'em by Ed Miller
Not necessarily the most beginner friendly book. However, it is written in plain English with minimum of lingo. Almost no math. It teaches you to think like a professional, so you get started right. Here is a review

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Mathematics, Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players, The Theory of Poker