MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I'm a noob, there, I said it.

I decided to download the beta PT and see what it tells me about my game. I've only played about 1700 hands so far, they are all loaded in but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look at to evaluate my play.

I'm winning, so far, I just started saving hands in late Jan through today.

I look at the cute little graph, the various other sections under the reports but other than seeing how cute they look, I'm not sure what good they are supposed to do.

What stats on there are most important to me and how do I interpret my own either good or bad overall play?

I am only playing micro for now, .05/.10 until I can win enough to go up to the next level.

I realize there are some links on here and I've looked at those links but I suppose I'm too dense to actually have that epiphany that lets me know what they mean. I'll be more than happy to tell you what any of the numbers are in the stats, I just don't know which of them really mean anything to me.

Explanations in less than 50 words, if possible, would be appreciated.

TIA!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well first off, 1700 hands is unfortunately not nearly enough hands to make any assumptions on your play. You need a fairly large sample size (around 10k minimum) in order for your stats to normalize, so anything you have now will be almost useless :/

As for explanations of the stats, Chris wrote an excellent article here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...our-tournament-play-using-pokertracker-82641/, but it's mostly geared towards tournament play. It should still be helpful.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In time the epiphany will come. I believe that, and expect that any day now mine will come.:)

On the PT3 site there are descriptions about what each of those stats mean. That table won't improve your game any, but will at least let you know what the stats are telling you. With any epiphany, it will come when you have digested so much data that your subconscious mind, during a deep sleep, finally puts it all together.

Here is that table of descriptions;

PokerTracker - Online Poker Tracking & Analysis Software Tool

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the comments so far.

As for 10k hands, well I doubt I'll get to that point, I'll probably be bored before then and off to do something else. I thought the programs stats could show me a trend of how I was doing, so far, so that I could change things that aren't correct.

If you have to wait 10k hands to see any use for it I'm wondering how it's worth the money. Or maybe most people play more hands than I do. I'm lucky to play 150 hands a day.

If I could just find some good audio books that I haven't already read in print form then maybe I wouldn't get bored so easily. Or should I be playing more than 1 table at a time?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's amazing how fast hands mount up. 10K is nearly nothing online. As for multi tabling, be cautious when you first try this out. Some folks have the ability to handle it easy, most I ever ran into was some gal doing 14 hands at a time. So she said anyway. At least at the table I was up against her, she was doing fine, and had the time to tell me that little tidbit. Others, like me, have found that we don't do so well multi-tabling.

But it would help if you find yourself getting bored with the old grind.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well most 'serious' players play multiple tables and log a lot more hands. I play roughly 550 hands in an hour-long session while 8-tabling, so it doesn't take long to log that 10k.

If you're into poker for the money then you should seriously look into multitabling as it'll skyrocket your winrate if you're a winning player. Otherwise if poker's for fun then there's no real need to analyze stats anyways :)

And yes, pokertracker is well worth the money. The $55 price tag has netted me thousands.

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide