Best way to grow a BR from $30

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much variance in big MTT's. Some of the best MTT players are only ITM around 15% of the time. So I agree with most, smaller sng's or don's.

R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say cash games pay the bills... And grinding micro stakes for a whuile to build is a great way in my opinion to work on your fundamental poker skills like concentration, focus, patience, DISCIPLINE, all the while handling bad beats and calling stations.

And lessons learned in micro stakes are cheaper.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is what I'd do. I would grind it out at $1 SnGs(preferably 9 players) and play the $1 buy-in daily dollar(if you're playing at full tilt). Then once you get about $50. You can move onto $2 buy-ins. For every $25 in your bankroll, that's one more dollar you can add to a buy-in. That's my BRM strategy.

Thats a pretty good strategy... so if you lose enough to not have 25 dollars for every dollar, you drop back down to your old level? Like say he had 50, played a 2 dollar SnG and went down to 48, then he would have to go back to 1 dollar SnGs? Makes sense but how do you account for rake? I mean SnG rake for dollar games is like .10 cents? Do you just ignore the rake? I'm just asking cuz it seems like a good strategy to use myself. (if i ever make it to 25 dollars o_O)

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try the cardchat buy in tournaments. There cheap and the added money is always nice to your bankroll. Also I love SnG's. I deposited $30 onto Full Tilt and played $2 until my roll got big enough, now I'm playing $5.

H

harman187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you good at?

low buy in SnGs and tourneys i think. I guess you would be pretty safe playing .02/.05 nl holdem... try some limit? I'm not an expert in limit so you'd have to ask someone else at what level you should play.

First of all, dont play 0.02/0.05 NL.. you will lose your roll fairly quickly
If your good at cash, play 2nl or else if you prefer sng id say play the 0.10 360man sngs on stars.. they pretty easy to make the money you jus make to play VERY tight early and gradually keep loosening up as the tournament reaches later stages.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd play the $2 single table SNG's. 3 out of 9 are paid, and the $0.25 rake is a much smaller percentage than the $0.20 rake on the $1 SNG's. Remember that a third of the players at this level are pretty much incompetent. That's good, but only if you're patient and can live with a few lost games due to suckouts from poor players getting lucky. Unfortunately you don't get extra credit for having your chips in with the best hand if the 20% outer comes through.

The CardChat freerolls and money-added tourneys are great ways to play against better competition with little or no risk to your bankroll.

I started with about $12 in a Fulltilt freeroll win (Razz, I think, although I play NLHE almost exclusively) and have worked it up to more than $1600 through mostly single table SNG's, now alternating between $5 and $10, occassional MTT's, and CC tourneys. I've also played a few Fulltilt Poker Academy Sit-N-Learn freerolls, which are easy to qualify for and have a nice potential payout.

By the way, the poker play on the weekend is somewhat different than what I find during the week. My ROI is much lower on Saturday and Sunday, due mostly to my inability to adjust to the unpredictable weekend play (IMHO).

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, dont play 0.02/0.05 NL.. you will lose your roll fairly quickly
If your good at cash, play 2nl or else if you prefer sng id say play the 0.10 360man sngs on stars.. they pretty easy to make the money you jus make to play VERY tight early and gradually keep loosening up as the tournament reaches later stages.

How? Deep stacked on FT for .02/.05 is 2.5nl.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mass grinding the $1 DoN's isn't as easy as one would think.

Just look at this guy's SS graph.

DoNSN.png

Although with a little dedication, and no life, you too can make super nova and earn $1,900 for the year.

Err... is this over a single year? Some rough estimates show 40 tabling continuous (~60 games an hour) = ~1830 hours = 5 hours a day every single day of the year. If so, then this is truly an lol, sick life. The micro SnG version of a rakeback grinder imo. Must be thrilled by the new VIP system.

Oh, and to OP: Double or Nothings probably have the least variance of any game out there, is decent for building a bankroll, and there is decent upside to mastering the game. However, it is neither fun, nor will it help you improve that much at poker.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Err... is this over a single year?

That was filterd for all the 1.10 games in '09 that he played.

There was a thread about it on 2p2. He plays 120 at a time (according to one poster) and averaged like 1K a day for the last 2 months.

he had almost 10K dollar games so far this year as of last night.

L

LexusRamirez

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best best is to sit own with it on a limit omaha hi/lo game and if u really wanna grow it stay away form the micro stake games to mny donks STAY AWAY

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was filterd for all the 1.10 games in '09 that he played.

There was a thread about it on 2p2. He plays 120 at a time (according to one poster) and averaged like 1K a day for the last 2 months.

he had almost 10K dollar games so far this year as of last night.

lol @ 120 at a time. I was about to say that it makes the total time frame much more reasonable until I saw the 1k a day for the last 2 months. And I thought 50 tabling was hard...

Why someone like that couldn't put some time into learning some basic game theory to move to the $5s is beyond me. Beating the $5s is not hard and with that dedication and talent, I'm sure they could make bank, even with a low ROI at the $5s.

I guess they just wanted to get the ultimate rakeback. They can get 75% rakeback if they repeat their feat this year. Heck, they can break Stars by achieving Elite and repeating the feat again in 2011 for a whopping 126% rakeback + free $10k tournament entry. :p

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's human, more power to him.

He's currently playing more of the non-turbo dollar DoN's than the turbos and is on pace for about 318K VPPs this year.

But I agree with your "learning the game" comment.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's human, more power to him.

He's currently playing more of the non-turbo dollar DoN's than the turbos and is on pace for about 318K VPPs this year.

But I agree with your "learning the game" comment.

Is there bot speculation?

Also, if you can be +EV at the $1 non-turbos by basing your actions on your cards as opposed to the situation (I've never played a non-turbo before), that makes the talent factor go down quite a bit.

However, the dedication is still amazing imo.

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think u should play what you are best at. If ur good at sng then play sng. If ur better at cash then play cash but play at the very very lowest stakes and grind up. I don't think tourneys are any good because of the high varience. Good luck building your bankroll

I had to start a bankroll through freerolls and slowly im up to $200

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get a job
I totally LOL'd at this one.

I'm starting to rebuild a BR on Full Tilt. I have $100 in there right now, I want low variance and low risk games. I am grinding the $1 SnG for Hold Em and Omaha Hi as well as the Heads Up $1 Hold Em and Omaha Hi. Started this project about an hour ago and have made about $7 profit so far. SnG's are going to be your best bet.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thought .02/.05 is 5NL?

I guess if you're gonna go based on the max buy in... :/ T_T. I go by the suggested buy in, as its usually 50 BBs which is what i would want... do you really need 100 BBs? I mean i guess if you want to extract maximum value...

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess if you're gonna go based on the max buy in... :/ T_T. I go by the suggested buy in, as its usually 50 BBs which is what i would want... do you really need 100 BBs? I mean i guess if you want to extract maximum value...

yes if your looking to play poker like a man..you really need 100 BBs :cool:

its always 100x the big blind

.01/.02 = 2NL
.02/.05 = 5NL

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes if your looking to play poker like a man..you really need 100 BBs :cool:

its always 100x the big blind

.01/.02 = 2NL
.02/.05 = 5NL

...i wanna be a man... but my BR says 'u no man u play like scared money nao n protect meh >.<'

thebluff1000

thebluff1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best game for someone who has a limited BR. Should I start with Sit n Go's, tournaments, ring games etc. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

ill tell ya.....dont screw with the sit n goes 9 players cuz its not worth it but i like the 18 and 27 1$ and most of all the 45 and 90 's...of course if u like the cash game...be my guest,not my thing.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there bot speculation?

Also, if you can be +EV at the $1 non-turbos by basing your actions on your cards as opposed to the situation (I've never played a non-turbo before), that makes the talent factor go down quite a bit.

However, the dedication is still amazing imo.

With that kind of volume, I think the question of being a bot has to at least be considered.

He's actually shifted his play this year to more non-turbos than turbos so far this year. I'm pretty certain it's because of the reduced VPP he's now recieving (getting close to the full VPP in the dollar non-turbos). The funny thing is his ROI is about 3% in the non-turbos (about 280 in total profit) and about 210 in total profit overall.

E

evilpoochie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
make sure you play something like sit n go's because it is a lot harder to get far in a big tourney to make a lot of money. So try 9 people sit n gos or at most 90 people sit n gos and play low stakes. Make sure you can loose and still have money