Best time of day to play poker

BabyShoes

BabyShoes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easiest for me is 08h00 - 16h00, weekdays.
Weekend are noticably more difficult, but 08h00-12h00 is best.

Boltneck

Boltneck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My original contribution to this thread was largely based on gut-reaction and anecdotal evidence. However, particularly in view of Zachvac's comments, I've been given it a little more thought and attempted to apply a degree of logic to the question.

The first thing that I would say is that (for most people) I would suggest that the question is irrelevant. I do not mean that as a criticism of the question as table select is important, and therefore so to should when to play be important. However, how many people have that much choice when they play?

Many (most?) people will sleep for 7 hours, spend 10 hours on employment related issues (getting to work, working, getting home etc) and other family commitments. They will have other interests away from poker, and they are NOT going to postpone the big football game because it coincides with the most profitable poker playing time!

For those who do not need to work (or for whom poker IS their work) they will probably play significantly more anyway, so will play at the 'good' times and the 'bad' times. So, eventually to the logic.

The better players will almost certainly in most cases be the players who play most often. Some may argue with this, and there may be some exceptions, but I suspect it will generally be the case. Now, whether players are "better player" because they play more often, or whether players play more often because they are "better players"! is a whole different argument!

So, if you accept that the good players play more often, the busiest times on a poker site will be when the less frequent players play. Taking this (admittedly arguable) logic a step further, there will be a greater percentage of poor plays at the tables when they are at their busiest. So, to get a pretty decent steer on the the best times to play, all you need to do is find the times of day when there is the most traffic - so just look at the CC poker room reviews.

Well, I'm off to get my tin hat now for protection against the missiles that will be heading in my direction following this dubious logic.

Boltneck.

Yumboltking

Yumboltking

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
dubious logic better than none at all.

R

ronb124

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
change in thouht process

I have been ill, but it sems to me there are more predators overnight.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll revise me statement now, to past supper time in the U.S. EST = 5:30-6 pm

Last edited:
Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker players are not distributed uniformly accross times zones. So there are better times to play than others.

In your opinion, what are the best (most profitable) times to play poker online?

Please express your answers in GMT time so that we can easily compare. Here Time - Current time around the World and standard time zones map of the world is a map of the time zones.

GMT = LocalTime - TimezoneOffset

For example, to convert EST to GMT, we see that
TimezoneOffset = -5 hours for EST.

So to convert 5pm EST to GMT,

GMT = 5pm - (-5 hours) = 5pm + 5 hours = 10pm

converting to gmt won't tell you when the most profitable time for ME to play is, so for ME it is 9pm est. 2 am I guess. Either way it's only more convenient for those in GMT if we all convert.

Bogotano

Bogotano

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter what time or day you play, just look for people that have 2 am to 4 am in their countries.
I.E. lets say you play in Houston at 7pm, so you will look for people from Europe most of them will be between 2 am and 5 am playing very tired.

Good luck at the tables :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This post is ridiculous. There is always someone available and willing to be your huckleberry! Looking for a best time to consume competitors is like saying Dr J is a medical Dr!

How much have you played online poker and what games are you playing? There is a BIG difference on the tables at different times.. ie. anytime on the weekends and you will find ALOT of bad players.

My preference.... weekends >> play the cash tables (but I avoid SNG's & Low buyin MTT's (maybe playing only something like the DoubleDeuce on Fulltilt if I satellite into it for $6,.... SNG tables at the stakes I play at are filled with donkeys on the weekends.. .some say this is great.. but in reality I find there are just too many of them on the table at one time and the game is a bit ridiculous (<<<< flame this comment if you will but it is my experience and find I can play much more profitably when there are a few decent players on the tables in a SNG).