Best poker books

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think a book will make you improve in the game of poker, but rather the frequency with which you will play and will get better in the game.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course. why read. books about poker are written by idiots. why read them. just paper. so many people think ???
it's easier to watch videos and try to reproduce it there.
time will tell

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The books will absolutely help you as will any other form of media with good content. Regardless of the evolving nature of the game there is nothing out there that will improve your game dramatically in one sitting. A good book, like the Hellmuth one I mentioned before, will hit you with “ah ha!” moments 5 and 10 years later.

Besides 2008 Phil Hellmuth is still a better poker player than 99.9999999% of players even if he’s still not as good as 2018 Phil Hellmuth. To think that any one of us would be too advanced to read 10 year old information from a guy like that is laughable.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harington - holdeme
it came in handy)))
:bandit:

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that books are becoming obsoletes too, the poker is always changing. But they are good options to improve the mindset and the basics of the game!

P

pokerpick311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The power of Negreanu's strategy, but most of the books are good, you'll also find a lot of poker information in cardschat.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will recommend you to read "The Mental Game of Poker".This book helps you to read your opponents.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best poker book you can read or use, for you I can tell you one that will be the best and the greatest of all time. This book is your brain, you throughout your poker hours should seek to learn and still absorb all the information from the tables.
There are people who read all the time, but at the tables the routine is different, times that apply what we know and what we learn all the time and still seek to learn new things at the table.
Create your own poker concept and try to perfect it every day.

Ruminate

Ruminate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a little recurring meme running around the internet that books are...outdated, irrelevant, obsolete, etc. What a load of hubris!? Sure, the game has evolved - of course; but let's be honest - most of us don't and will never play at high roller stakes where most of the changes have taken place and matter the most. Those players look for any marginal differences necessary to outperform the other pros.

Here's a great book from a great poker player - "Super System" by Doyle Brunson which shook the poker world in 1978. This guy played poker professionally for over 50 years and won the wsop main event twice. His total live tournament winnings are over 6 million not to mention cash games. This summer he announced his retirement but not before he entered the $10,000 2-7 Single Draw at the 2018 WSOP and came in sixth place, earning $43,963. Not bad for an 84 year old!!

Brunson has forgotten more about poker than most of us know.

If his poker performance is outdated or obsolete, I'll take it anyday. Sign me up.

Last edited:
Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I was impressed with The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. Good read !

D

Digitalpimp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little's "Excelling at No Limit Holdem" is a good read.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Intelipoker has several good articles, both for beginners and advanced poker.

F

flopdnuts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man its hard to believe how many people don't think reading is a fundamental part of the game...like i said i haven't read many books but a ton of articles and even just from that i can see myself thinking about key points while at the tables both online and live. and im not saying i haven't learned alot from watching videos but i think to become a well rounded great poker player you gotta take it any which way you can and pick and make sure you pick up something from everywhere i listen to podcasts and watch videos and going to be either reading or audio reading some books and im thinking if i can piece everything together from what ive learned on my own thru playing and from every source of media available i think i will be better than i was before any of it... don't get me wrong everyone learns differently and im not going to knock you for how you learn but even the "outdated" sh*t can be used to learn from!
Keep on improving and ill see you at the tables!

S

Spns777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harington - Holdeme is very well for a poker math and bets strategy.

J

Jeffbento

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try Jonothan Little live poker cash part 2