BEST BOOK

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm Looking for a poker book. a Good poker book. I read Harrington v1 and i have v2. are there any other suggestions out there. i would like a cash game book, figuring i have a tourney book already. thanks in advance

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamie Gold is coming out with a brand new poker strategy book january of 2008. if it were me, i would HIGHLY recommend waiting for this one!:)

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash game books seem to be hard to come by. One I have is "Championship N0-limit & Pot Limit Hold'em" by Cloutier and McEvoy, but half of it is tournaments, too. I would not hold my breath waiting on tips from Jamie Gold. I thought his play sucked.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash game books seem to be hard to come by. One I have is "Championship N0-limit & Pot Limit Hold'em" by Cloutier and McEvoy, but half of it is tournaments, too. I would not hold my breath waiting on tips from Jamie Gold. I thought his play sucked.

can you say "SARCASM" ms. piggy?:D

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dumb pig, I thought you were serious.

skd1337

skd1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the NL holdem section of supersystem? doyle is mainly aiming this at cash games IMO... only problem is that hardly anyone plays tight anymore so the super aggro style is often snuffed out.

Also there is a few decent chapters in Play poker like the Pro's by Phil Helmuth - the limit hold em section is good and there is some decent no limit discussion but nothing too spectacular.

Has anyone read any of Dan negreanu's books?

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamie Gold

I know little to nothing about this guy having not seen him play (though I did see his mum on the wsop ME highlights and him doing a lot posing moving from table to table talking to people). All I know is that a lot of people on here berate his style, say he's a luck box and what have you, but then at the same time I also read that he's in the top 5 earners, so obviously he must be doing more than something right. Whats the deal with Jamie Gold?

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know little to nothing about this guy having not seen him play (though I did see his mum on the WSOP ME highlights and him doing a lot posing moving from table to table talking to people). All I know is that a lot of people on here berate his style, say he's a luck box and what have you, but then at the same time I also read that he's in the top 5 earners, so obviously he must be doing more than something right. Whats the deal with Jamie Gold?

Do you mean the top 5 earners in the wsop? If so, then its because he won 12M of his earnings in one tourney.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Signature - “When we play, we must realize, before anything else, that we are out to make money.” - David Sklansky

Some of us are out to break even so we can play the game.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games/useful books:
1. No Limit, Theory and Practice by Sklansky and Miller
2. Professional No Limit Hold'em by Flynn, Mehta, and Miller
3. Mastering No Limit Holdem by Fox and Harker
4. Practical Low and No Limit Texas Hold'em Ring Games by Kim Greenblatt
4. How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold'em by Sam O'Connor

You can also, of course, find ring game play info in "comprehensive" books, like Gordon's Little Green Book, and Angel Largay's No Limit Texas Holdem: a Complete Course, etc.

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cool...ill have to hit up barnes n noble on payday and check out some of these books.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all there are probably some jamie gold fans who will buy the book thinking he is good....i honestly think he got lucky throughout the whol wsop......i mean he can talk some people into calling but other than that hell never winagain unless he has the luck

TubaMark316

TubaMark316

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd recommend Positively Fifth Street by James McManus...

You don't learn anything from it really, but it is really interesting him telling his story on him getting into the WSOP...

It's better then all those others...

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know little to nothing about this guy having not seen him play (though I did see his mum on the WSOP ME highlights and him doing a lot posing moving from table to table talking to people). All I know is that a lot of people on here berate his style, say he's a luck box and what have you, but then at the same time I also read that he's in the top 5 earners, so obviously he must be doing more than something right. Whats the deal with Jamie Gold?

hes a dumb@$$ donkey supreme who got lucky as f**k and won wsop for $12 million dollars and hasnt done jack sh*t since then.

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hes a dumb@$$ donkey supreme who got lucky as f**k and won wsop for $12 million dollars and hasnt done jack sh*t since then.

ummm might i point out, they only show luck hand and awesome plays on TV. you know he donked a lot when the camara's on him, you really dont know his skill level when hes on on TV.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
♠jczapper♠;637826 said:
ummm might i point out, they only show luck hand and awesome plays on TV. you know he donked a lot when the camara's on him, you really dont know his skill level when hes on on TV.
um wrong as well. i also saw him on high stakes poker, and even though its TV, he bought in for $500K and had to rebuy about 15 minutes later after doyle kicked his ass and took all his money by calling his bluff 3 different times with a measly pair of 3s vs Q high. jamie gold=donkey supreme.:)

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by ♠jczapper♠
um wrong as well. i also saw him on high stakes poker, and even though its TV, he bought in for $500K and had to rebuy about 15 minutes later after doyle kicked his ass and took all his money by calling his bluff 3 different times with a measly pair of 3s vs Q high. jamie gold=donkey supreme.
smile.gif
i wasnt TOTALLY defending him. now if you want donkey supreme look at the winner of the WSOP 2007. Jerry Yang makes Gold look like a grand master of chess...bad analogy but you know what i mean.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
♠jczapper♠;638330 said:
i wasnt TOTALLY defending him. now if you want donkey supreme look at the winner of the WSOP 2007. Jerry Yang makes Gold look like a grand master of chess...bad analogy but you know what i mean.
again i hafta disagree. jerry yang had alot of lucky breaks, at final table, but also a few tough losses as well. jamie gold on the other hand was a total jerkoff throughout the entire tournament, just because he had 5:1 chiplead after day 2, it was ridiculous! sry, but i would rather stick my penis in a meat grinder than show any sign of respect to jamie gold. very strongly opinionated about this topic!LOL:D

elfmanvt07

elfmanvt07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno, he is lucky as crap, but I gotta say, he plays pretty good on high stakes, save a few hands. He's already a lot better than he was for the WSOP 06. He admits that he's a student, and he's crap right now, but he works hard.

narizblanco

narizblanco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play Texas Holdem at the low blind levels I recommend 'Get the Edge at Low Limit Texax Holdem' by Bill Burton. It has a great chart inside the front cover and many helpful hints for playing online. 'Ken Warren Teaches Texas Holdem' is another good one. It will give the reader an excellent understanding of the mathematical elements of the game. Whatever you do don't waste your money on any books or videos by Phil Helmuth. They are full of bad advice. Cheers:)

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would never get anything by helmuth...he is my "jamie gold" like Jamie gold is to all these other people here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think Hellmuth's a lucksack?

His books are fine. I'm sure Jamie Gold's will be somewhat meh; I'm not expecting something groundbreaking from it, it'll probably just reiterate info that's been published in other books.

Ignoring all this off-topic Gold/Hellmuth blabber, I'd listen to aliengenius, owner of 3828901084 poker books.

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no hes a great player. i just hate his oh my god an amateur beat the best player in the world BS.