Been stuck in a rut

J

JKelso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I see a big improvement in my game, because I use to be a losing player. But I have been stuck as a break even player for quite some and as we all know it gets frustrating. I play T/A style, but what do I need to do to take it to the next level to be a consistant winning player

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That shouldn't be a question you should be asking. That is such an open question. You have to learn by experience on how to play.

Errrrr ok^^^^^^

Stay around the site, read the stratagy guides, read threads through, post questions and Hand Historys.

Theres a lot of knowledge on this site use it. Personally my next step is saving up for some books and if you want to know which ones to buy there are several threads you can look up, plus we have a resident book expert in AlienGenius.

Im a rookie too but just coming here everyday and reading improves my game.

Gl man

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's what I recommend.

Get your basic style down. (you already may have) If you're break-even, great. Make sure you know your basic style, have it locked in memory, and have something to come back to.

Then, make a small change in the way you play. Maybe it's the way you play suited connectors, or the rate in which you raise from the button. Don't just make random changes, though. Go through your hand history, and look for a leak. Take the advice from the winning players on the site, and tweak something for the better. After you're comfortable with the change, and you are sure that it's bettered your game, make that your basic style. Then, pick something else to change.

If, at any point, your game deteriorates, (and it's not due to variance or a few bad beats) fall back to your basic style. Mike Caro makes an excellent point of this in one of his articles. You have to have a foundation, or a set strategy to fall back to. So many times a profitable player can change just one aspect of his game, and become a huge loser. If they don't know how to get back to that profitable point, then they are lost at sea, and essentially have to start from scratch.

Resist the urge to change too much with your game at once. If you change four things about your game, and then start to win big, you'll never know what made the difference. Three of the changes may have been beneficial, but the fourth may be costing you money. The net result is that you're doing better, but probably not as good as you could be doing.

The simple fact is, if you analyze your game, and use proper bankroll management, you WILL get better. But, it takes work and lots of practice. If you have the patience to alter and tweak your game for the rest of your poker life, then you can become a winning poker player. May take 2 weeks, may take 2 years. So, you better be having fun with the process, because not everyone has the stamina to make it to the goal.