Battle of the Blinds Question

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to inquire about a very classic situation, one that I am sure every player on here as encountered hundreds of times below.

Hero is in the SB w/ any two cards and about 3/4 average stack, but still 25 BBs. Villain in BB is new to table, 0 reads except that they are about 1.5x average stack halfway into the tournament (I was going to ask for different responses based on hero/villain stack sizes, but I wanted to know this particular situation).

Hero raises it up small after everyone folds to SB. Anywhere from 2x to 3x, whatever your standard raise is here. BB makes it 7-9 BB to go.

Immediately, my thoughts are he's just being aggressive and trying for a steal. Very classic move for any level of poker player to attempt. My question is, what is your range for villain here? You have no reads, but you can likely assume he's not doing this with something like 2/7os. I see most players calling with hands like 89s, 109s in this situation, so I think to re-pop the general hands are going to be 88+ and 10Js+. Unless of course, you know they are a particularly aggressive player or tilting, in which case almost anything is possible. In those situations, I like to assume they have something suited, possibly connectors, obviously up for recalculation based on later moves.

Then, once the reraise has been made, what hands are in your range to call, and what to raise? Calling out of position when you only have about 60-70% of your chips left seems kind of iffy, but I think I would do it with 10Js-KQos. Any pair 66 and above (folding 22, 33, 44, 55 because I could see them repopping with A2-5suited) plus KQs+ I am pushing with.

Then, what if you repush and he INSTACALLS? What is your range for BB now? JJ+ and AQs+?

I ask this because I had AKos in a situation very similar to this, pushed (which I believe was the right move), BB insta called with KQs and spiked Q on the flop. No big deal really, just trying to garner some info on what you think he COULD have had.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would have played it the same way. He most likely thought you were stealing and took a shot, not thinking you had a hand. With 25 BB you have too much to push PF. His raise was a little too much for his hand, but it would have gotten you off a bluff. As for his range, it's tough to fold big slick, but not having any reads on him maybe you have to give him credit for a PP, so I might be looking at a coin flip. Halfway into the tourney I might fold to the reraise, but it's a tough call. It could come down to how lucky I've been so far.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, your move was not a bad one. If you just made the standard raise and he reraised, then you may have just called to see if you could catch the A or the K on the flop. At this point you are likely totally pot committed. AK is a great starting hand, but it's not so good if you don't get anything on the flop. If I'm going to commit with AK, I like to either get it all in preflop or catch my top pair/ top kicker on the flop and then ship it in. I don't like having to decide anything in this spot after missing the flop... especially when you have no read on the opponent.

P.S. I was just checking out my Poker Tracker and I did find that I have made money with AK... but lost a ton with JJ!! I may just start open folding JJ!!

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can ever call as SB. You have to fold or shove. The 3bet to 9BB is 1/3 of your stack...you will be put in a very awkward position on the flop if you don't hit (which you won't a majority of the time).