Bankroll size for my level of play...help needed!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im slowly building up...and yes constantly losing my bankroll at Noble
but everytime i re-start it with freeroll winnings it lasts a little longer :D

i play up to $5 buy-in guaranteeds, mostly $3 and $2 though
and try to stay away from rebuys cuz they really bite into my wallet
play $1, $2 or $3 sit n go tourneys
and once in a while hit up limit ring games at Omaha Hi/Lo 0.25c/0.5c and under ( no more NL i keep losin my bankroll that way )

i was just wondering, me being a person who plays at this level, how big should my bankroll be in order to be stable enough for me?
like i said before i built it up to a little under $40 and that seemed alright
but if i'm playin tourneys ( which i plan to play more of ) i think i'm gonna need a bigger bankroll to cover the cost of rebuys etc.

PS i'm building it all on freeroll winnings lol
i plan on maybe depositing min. amount in order to unlock the winnings, but i'm not disciplined enough to put my own money in there and keep it all safe.

right now after placing in that Noble Software Upgrade FR i have about $20 including my buy-in to CC's $5 saturday tourney. I don't think this is nearly enough to support the kind of tourneys i want to enter.

any suggestions ???

thanks in advance to anyone who answers :)

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play in ring games, I wouldn't sit at a table if my bankroll didn't equal at least 200xBB. For a .25/.50 game, you're looking at $100 bankroll minimum. Some people say 300 and some even say up to 500 for medium and higer stakes. 200 is a good solid number for casual and micro players IMO. Remember, bankroll management is extremely important to your play. If you sit at a game that you are underfunded to play at, you won't play your best game.

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting at a table with a low amount works for some people. I won $1.70 in a crazy poker freeroll a while back and after a long (LONG) time, built it up to $265, which I just cashed out recently. I played at the low tables (.10/.20) and only brought about $2.00 to the table each time. I would lose it all about 2/3 of the time, and eventually win a hand and take down 8 or 10 bucks. I would then leave the table and go to a new one where I would bring in $2 and repeat. Its probably a better idea for most people to sit at a table with more, but with only $2 I never lost big on a good hand (Like 2 pair against a set, which is easy to lose a lot on for me) which is important when you dont start with much and are building. Anyway, good luck and happy betting.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recommended bankroll size:

Limit games 200-300 big bets (.25/.50 level you want $100-$150)

NL games 20 maximum buy ins (.05/.10 table max buy-in= $10, you would want $200)

Sit-n-gos you want 30 buy-ins ($5+$.50 you want ~$165)

Multi-table tournaments: you don't want to spend more than 5% of your bankroll on one tournament (Don't enter a $10 tournament if you have $18 and expect to keep a bankroll)

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To each his own I guess, but I would never feel comfortable sitting down with only 10xBB. Bringing that small an amount to the table is also a sign of weakness to most players at the higher limits.

N

nikekix18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, I just won 200 dollars at noble in a tournament ( with chuckT) that is how much i have in my account...what type of ring games should I look at or don't even bother and just play tournaments?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chicubs1616 said:
Recommended bankroll size:

Limit games 200-300 big bets (.25/.50 level you want $100-$150)

NL games 20 maximum buy ins (.05/.10 table max buy-in= $10, you would want $200)

Sit-n-gos you want 30 buy-ins ($5+$.50 you want ~$165)

Multi-table tournaments: you don't want to spend more than 5% of your bankroll on one tournament (Don't enter a $10 tournament if you have $18 and expect to keep a bankroll)
great info cubs...i had no sense of how much to have

much appreciated

Crippler: i could never survive with that little lol
thats how i've lost my bankroll in the past: being told by online help that i needed 5 more raked hands...head over to .25/.5 NL HE table with my $10 and play the 5 hands fine
then keep playin cuz i'm addicted LOL and lose it all cause bigger stacks would just bully me

thanks for the info guys

NikeKix: have you played ring games before?
if so how high?
don't jump stake levels just because you have a bigger bankroll
and as for tourneys vs. ring games....just do what you're best at or what you have the most fun doing

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the key point in cubbies post was the difference between NL and L bankrolls. You commonly heard 200-300x the BB for a bankroll well most newbies play NL not Limit (like they should). So for 50NL that's 1000dollars... So you should consider the TYPE of game just as much as the the bet size in the game! Great stuff chicubs!

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management