my Bankroll

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a bankroll of $725 that I've built from a small $40 deposit playing $1, $2, and the odd $5 tournament.
Is it ludicrous that I continue grinding $1 tournaments on this roll?

I'm too nitty?

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you enjoy doing $1 keep doing it.. but with a bankroll of $725, I'd do the $10 tourneys, personally. For tournies.. up to 2% of your bankroll is fine, which would be around $14-$15 of $725, I believe.

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I do enjoy the $1 tournaments, but thx for the info that 10$-20$ mtts are in my range.

joeaugie

joeaugie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on your goals as a player....there's no such thing as too nitty if you don't feel comfortable playing at higher limits...but if your goal is to move up in limits I would suggest playing a mixture of $2 and $5 SNGs now and drop the $1 ones completely...sprinkle in the occasional $10 when you feel comfortable....

Being nitty is WAY better than TAKING SHOTS, IMO because when people take shots and are successful, that doesn't mean they are prepared for the next level....only that they have done well for a short amount of time.

Being super nitty with your bankroll gives you a large sample size of confidence to fall back on as well as the mid set of playing well within your bankroll which doesn't put added stress on you mentally so you can play free and focused.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest positive thing about it is you know you're winning at the $1 and $2 tournaments. i'm jealous of your br, tryin to get there myself. like everyone else said, there's nothing wrong at all about being super nitty with your bank. with that much money, i think its worth trying out higher limits...just set your own limit for how much you're willing to get your rear end kicked if it doesn't work out this time, because you know you're always a winner at lower stakes.

D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm tight w/ my BR. Slow & steady works for me. I play a "one step forward, ones step back" game w/ myself. I have a much smaller BR than u do....I like playing where I'm comfortable; and if I should lose, as we alll do sometimes, I'm not beating myself up over it. When I play a game that's a step up for me, I will only play it again, if I came in the $. If I played it & didn't place - I drop back down, till I have won twice at that lower level. After two wins, I try again at the next level. Have found it to be a good way to try to up my game, but also keep's u in check somewhat. From what u said, u were doing $1 & $2 often & occ. a $5...So now maybe try bumping it up to playing $2 & $5 reg. and an occ. $10. You place in the $10, you go again next time. You don't, it's back to the $2 & $5 - but with a goal of going back to the $10. Best of all, you make the rules! It tends to keep u in your comfort zone, but yet striving for more.
Now, obviously, this is not a good plan for someone who's more of a "I have $10 - I'm getting in a $10 tourney & it's win or bust" kind of player. You are prolly ready, and this way helps you prove it to YOURSELF. Good luck...you should be proud of your accomplishment!

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you, these are inspiring posts,
I like the advice of trying a $11, then moving back down if I lose and repeating if I place ITM. My goal as a player is to move to $20-$200 tournaments which requires a substantial roll. So I will certainly have to up the ante.
Thx again.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are on stars then I suggest taking shots at the $10/$11 guarantees. Things like the sunday 1/4 mill. They get you used to playing higher and promise a good reward. You can also have it as a routine that sunday is when you take your shots.

Good luck and congratulations so far.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management