Back in the day ...

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just commenting in another thread and it gave me inspiration to make this post.

I won't go into writing a book which I could very easily do LOL.. so I'll just start the conversation off and if it is popular maybe we can go from there.

But back in the day, 20 some years ago when the poker boom started... And this is probably more so going to apply to Americans I don't know how the rest of the world does things, by the way. But just imagine being online playing poker and we were plugged into the rest of the world. There was more action than you could handle 24 hours a day. Any type of game that you wanted and there were more than enough people to play with.

Also back then what was really popular for online professionals was to play LIMIT hold'em. Not no limit. Each bet pre-flop, and the flop were one big blind. And if you wanted to get into a raising match it was capped at four bets. Once the turn hit it was double the big blind per bet. And again four bets capped. obviously this limited the amount that you could win. You couldn't stack people, but then in the same respect you couldn't get stacked either. You just simply play the numbers and if you are in a situation against the maniac you just throw out the anchor and drag yourself as a dead weight and do check-calls to showdown.

pokerstars still has this. I was in it not too long ago and actually ran into somebody and we played a little heads up. It was nice to go down memory lane like that. But normally no one's ever in those rooms.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
HU Limit Hold'em is a rake trap. And solved. So don't play it for money online.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yeah it was awesome being able to play any game you wanted and make money..., now it's nlhe only and we are squeezed out of every money site anyway but back in the day?.. oh hell yeah😎👍

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm from the time of dial-up internet in brazil, it wasn't very nice because of the expense, but I played a lot, I played with friends for soda, I like to say that my mother picked me up at a bar, (the doors were closed) she kept knocking until they opened the doors, needless to say that I was beaten up a lot, but I didn't quit poker, that was about 55 years ago

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah it was certainly fun. I miss the SNG's. Yeah we can still play them, but anyone barely does. That was my personal jam. I did very well at those.

Also back then, all the sites had 10 seat tables, poker stars was the only one to have 9 seats.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm from the time of dial-up internet in Brazil, it wasn't very nice because of the expense, but I played a lot, I played with friends for soda, I like to say that my mother picked me up at a bar, (the doors were closed) she kept knocking until they opened the doors, needless to say that I was beaten up a lot, but I didn't quit poker, that was about 55 years ago
awesome story, I like to hear personal experiences with poker, I'm a relative newbie to the game, so missed out on all those nice moments

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you look back into the history of poker, Moneymaker's victory in the tournament in 2003 caused a boom in interest in online poker in the United States. Millions of Americans rushed online to try their hand at the game and win the big prize. It seemed that poker never left TV screens.Moneymaker beat 838 players, including some of the best players on the planet, to win the world series of poker Main Event and take home a $2.5 million prize in a tournament that felt like it was tailor-made for TV.If Americans now had free access to PokerStars, many poker categories would be full of players.