Awesome Alaska Cruise plus gift of Covid.

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just got back from an awesome cruise. Saw the glaciers, took a treacherous train ride and played in 3 poker tournaments. Lost, won, and came in 2nd. $60 buyin. Single table events and they were all over within the hour. The blinds went crazy . The cash game was a $200 minimum buyin. Not gonna play against players that drop $500 on the table. Forgot to mention one of the 3k passengers gifted me covid. I'm OK.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our neighbours went on an Alaskan cruise last summer. They liked it but both came home with Covid as well.

aquilex2799

aquilex2799

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Just got back from an awesome cruise. Saw the glaciers, took a treacherous train ride and played in 3 poker tournaments. Lost, won, and came in 2nd. $60 buyin. Single table events and they were all over within the hour. The blinds went crazy . The cash game was a $200 minimum buyin. Not gonna play against players that drop $500 on the table. Forgot to mention one of the 3k passengers gifted me covid. I'm OK.
Hi optkdave. Good to know you're okay.

I'm Brazilian and I was curious: what is an Alaska cruise like? What's in there?

Another thing, what is the level of the players there? I guess fun came before profit, am I right?

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would go on a trip myself right now, but I don't have the opportunity at the moment. And you are healthy

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi optkdave. Good to know you're okay.

I'm Brazilian and I was curious: what is an Alaska cruise like? What's in there?

Another thing, what is the level of the players there? I guess fun came before profit, am I right?
I don't know about the cash games $500 buy in is beyond my comfort zone. The tournament players were weak . I lost the first tournament because I only made a minimum raise preflop w AX and he had 45 suited and the flop gave him a flush and open ended str8 draw so I was screwed on the river. Alaska has awesome rugged scenery and glaciers. Seattle is a great town too.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welcome back. Sorry about the Covid. I hate to say it but you're a testament to my wife's opinion of cruise ships, that they're floating labs and Pitre dishes for "pharmaceutical experiments". And since everyone's on a ship it's easier to quarantine if need be. She's a nut, though.
I'd love to go on a fkng cruise, I think it'd be awesome. Does CC have a promo for a poker cruise? That'd be cool.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Yes I know the feeling well, even after having 5 shots I still came down with Covid, but survived, and at my age (67) any Bug I walk away from is good. I talked to the Nurse from my first injection I had and She admitted that Covid is just another Flu Virus, only more dangerous than a normal Flu Virus, and we are stuck with it now like any other Flu Virus, There is no cure, only the Booster shot's will provide some slight protection, and that's better than the alternative.
My Pine Box can wait a bit longer.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Glad to hear your doing ok. My folks had an Alaskan cruise on their bucket list for years, one thing & another took precedence until failing health made the trip impossible. Several of my siblings & I decided to take the trip they missed & just weeks before we were scheduled to go covid hit. None of us spend time living in fear of covid but, still seems to all of us that getting on a cruise ship now is just asking for trouble. I expect I would have really enjoyed the cruise.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still wearing a mask. There are folks that have some "long term effects" so some folks may feel ok but . . . lets just say I'm still wearing a mask being the lone oddballs and going to get the next updated shot. Had people die from one of the earlier forms.

Glad you enjoyed the vacation. I would like to go on one of those bear watching tours in Alaska.

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I know the feeling well, even after having 5 shots I still came down with Covid, but survived, and at my age (67) any Bug I walk away from is good. I talked to the Nurse from my first injection I had and She admitted that Covid is just another Flu Virus, only more dangerous than a normal Flu Virus, and we are stuck with it now like any other Flu Virus, There is no cure, only the Booster shot's will provide some slight protection, and that's better than the alternative.
Thanks. I got all my shots too. Fast tracked the first one because I took a job in Vermont dispensing eyeglasses to veterans. That's why I took the job. Now I play golf only on days that end in Y and work when they need me.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Off topic, but COVID is just another COLD VIRUS (not flu), but much more dangerous.

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still wearing a mask. There are folks that have some "long term effects" so some folks may feel ok but . . . lets just say I'm still wearing a mask being the lone oddballs and going to get the next updated shot. Had people die from one of the earlier forms.

Glad you enjoyed the vacation. I would like to go on one of those bear watching tours in Alaska.
I'm convinced that my unclean habits of Youth gave me better resistance. Working at a VA hospital required me to wear a mask up to 2 months ago. When I work next week I will mask up. Didn't have to go all the way to Alaska to see bears, we had plenty of bears and moose in NH.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am sorry you got covid from the trip and hope you recover quickly. Its hard to avoid getting it in certain situations for sure.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nice trip , have a good longtime recover and think covid is never stopping--same virus , new stepsons are on the way :)

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sorry you got COVID on the cruise. Were the poker tournaments on an electronic table or did you have a human dealer?

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Nice trip, man!
Sorry for the illness, glad you're ok.
I am eagerly waiting for me to go on a cruise too, sometimes in the future. For now i have other priorities.

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry you got COVID on the cruise. Were the poker tournaments on an electronic table or did you have a human dealer?
I didn't know they had electronic tables. With chips it was hard for me to figure raise amounts. I told the dealer raise and he pulled my chips for me.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I didn't know they had electronic tables. With chips it was hard for me to figure raise amounts. I told the dealer raise and he pulled my chips for me.
I haven't played poker on a cruise ship for quite awhile but last time on Princess they had an electronic table (no human dealer)...didn't really like it much.