At What Point Can a Poker Player Be Considered 'Professional'?

What would you consider makes a poker player professional?

• Total voters
Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well , in your initial conditions , I would say a professional poker player is a person that has enough money to pay his bills and to waste the rest with what he wants. He can goes to the mall , buy new clothes, new electronic stuff, and in the end of the month, he can sleep without thinking about money issues.

I'm not sure I'd go THAT far. There's plenty of professionals in every field these days who don't fulfill that criteria.

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe

What do you think makes someone a professional poker player? Is it more to do with a life style, when you can change your life style,when it becomes a fully paid job? Were not talking skill level here, were talking money making ability.

Is turning pro all about when you get to wear a paid sponsor logo on your hoodie?

Do you hit the penthouse of player prowess and boasting just because you can make it rain $100 bills in an expencive strip club, or do you qualify when you can afford to pay the bills and afford to give some homeless guy money (making it rain quarters doesn't really count, and most likely considered to be assualt with connage in some countrys).

Obviously there are other things that some may consider. Playing and winning a ranking tourneyment, or having a manager. The most inventive idea wins absoloutely nothing but my thanks for taking part.

I believe getting sponsored makes one a professional. It doesn't mean bovada or 888 or pokerstars ect. You can have friends chip in and buy you in. When you got people that trust your play to pay on you then your professional. There is people with money that get sponsored so you don't have to be a gutter punk playing to live or survive. If you are making enough from playing to quit your job. That just makes you a really good poker player. Our high school football players arent professional if they can beat nfl rookie records. They are prospects and just really good football players.

B

bkr3026

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's time to be considered a pro, when it is making enough money for you that you can pay your bills and live from the earnings. Yet there are always levels to pros as well

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe getting sponsored makes one a professional. It doesn't mean bovada or 888 or pokerstars ect. You can have friends chip in and buy you in. When you got people that trust your play to pay on you then your professional. There is people with money that get sponsored so you don't have to be a gutter punk playing to live or survive. If you are making enough from playing to quit your job. That just makes you a really good poker player. Our high school football players arent professional if they can beat nfl rookie records. They are prospects and just really good football players.

What would be your thoughts on a Professional Poker Pro (assuming your above qualifications...) that has hit "variance" for a longer period of time than expected, loses sponsoring/endorsements to "the new dudes on tha block" because of it and currently only makes money as they did before sponsoring... Or maybe a former pro player who's out of the limelight and just making money (etc, "paying the bills") how they used to before the limelight... Are they STILL considered "Professionals" ? just curious...

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you play for at least ten years

B

bravissim0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once a player starts to earn money steadily with only poker, then he is a professional.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very nice question! I voted no 1 choice because for me being a pro has to do it for a living. So by dedicating more than 6-7 hours per day and everyday for playing poker is more like your profession rather than a hobby.

Many people have it as a side income and hobby like me but I am not considered to be a pro. By traveling for live events or registering in high buy ins is like a profession!

max entropy

max entropy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when it gives enough money to live without having another job.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a professional is getting the first million won in poker)

C

Click400

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you begin to cover all your obligations by achieving it in consecutive months. You may consider that you are already good enough to devote yourself fully.

If you quit your job and have more free time, probably your earnings will also start to increase by this means.