Ashley Sleeth and how she feels about Ladies Events in poker

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
CardsChat ambassador and Poker Pro, Ashley Sleeth reflects on her experiences with Ladies Events in poker and how she feels about them today.

Check out Ashley's article in the link below.

How I Feel About Ladies' Events in Poker

A005_06292354_S002-800x450.jpg

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL I glanced at the first paragraph and I understood the feeling of dealers trying to rush someone because that happened in my first tourn as I was stacking chips awkwardly after winning my first all in at my first live tourn.

And before that, figuring how to make change for the blinds off players in that same tourn.

The ladies events are there to help people that feel intimidated hanging around a sea of guys in a poker room ease into the poker scene and feel comfortable so the tourns are good for poker.

Funny thing, I was recently reading a poker book and its not very old and the villain/hero were still referred to as "he" so I get some of the annoying stuff that female players have to deal with, lol. and all this stuff points to their male counterparts needing to wake up and try to see things through their eyes.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I made this reply to the article based upon my own experience with two or three ladies events that were designed to attract new players. Sadly these didn't follow my suggestion, of course they didn't ask me beforehand. :)

"Running tournaments for new players is an excellent idea! The first few times at a tourney table can be very intimidating no matter what gender the player might be. In addition to worrying about the actual play of the game, charging too high an entry fee might turn off a novice as well. If I were a poker room operator I'd run these beginner tournaments at the lowest possible cost, in order to make them as attractive to as many people as possible.

The fee should be set so it covers the cost of the dealers and floor staff and provide a minimal prize pool. After all, the purpose of these events is to make things as attractive as possible in order to increase the number of regular players. That will increase the profits of the poker room operators. I'm seen this strategy work in the world of shooting sporting clays, and there is no reason why it shouldn't work for poker as well."
"