anyone ever done something like this? (online tells)

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I playing NL Holdem sit and goes and one table I have 88 I limp into a multi way pot with blinds of 10/20 that sees the flop come 744. I bet out and get min re raised. But there something funny here the guy seems to be taking longer to think and I don't normally rely on time taken as an indication but this is not normal for this player. I don't like just calling the min raise because leaves me not knowing where I am. I know he either has a 4 a 7 or a pocket pair.
I had bet 60 into a 100 pot and now this guy min raises 120, I decide to re raise to 300, this guy takes ages again Is he trapping? well it's just the min raises and the time taking indicates that he is either slow playing something massive or is insecure marginal.

he takes ages again and min raises me to 600 at this point vast vast majority of the time I giving them credit for having a 4 in there hand and just folding the 88.

But again the time bank and the min raises just don't seem right of 4. I just have a feeling from a tell that he has 7 rag I shove.

he calls turns up q7 ( he was in the sb in a multi way pot so meh)

point is I got all in on a situation I would normally fold in, because i picked up an online tell.

This situation is even more rare because I multi table sit and goes but my session has just started so only had 3 or 4 tables up at this point.

I'm just wondering whether many people get all in on situations they would normally fold because something about the time the guy is taking is just strange?

FREEROLLSFTW

FREEROLLSFTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do the opposite when I have the best hand. I burn off some time to make the other guy think I'm hesitating in making a move. I don't usually rely on the time a guy makes a move because sometimes they are really just busy on doing something else so its unreliable.

Joe Slick

Joe Slick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This probably explains why I seem to do well on the hands I'm playing when I dash into the kitchen to get something to drink. Everybody must read this as me slow playing a monster.

So, the secret of winning poker is ... being thirsty? :D

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting. I do sometimes use the time to my advantage but only with big hands. Most players regard this as hesitation on your part and think your weak. I rarely let the meter get down to far so it's not too obvious.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont forget for every real tell there is the chance someone is playing u with a reverse tell... and yes u can read too much into the fact that someone got distracted, or jumped on a call, particularly multitablers...

Peeps I know, often tells can be useful...

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure u can rely on this tell unless he is consistently doing it and u've got it noted down. most of the times ppl are multi tabling and were busy at another table.

Poker Tells